Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

Just digesting a few posts from here and the U***** thread...

Given the current financial plight of that lot (see the thread re the IPO), if our owners were to submit a plan to build a new super stadium at the Etihad campus, complete with roof etc, do you think it would be knocked back if one of the provisos is that it is shared á la San Siro?

And would the money we made from 'sharing' it with that lot count towards FFP?

Like I say, just putting it out there and at the same time demonstrating the dangers of allowing a knobhead to think.

strongbowholic said:

Given the current financial plight of that lot (see the thread re the IPO), if our owners were to submit a plan to build a new super stadium at the Etihad campus, complete with roof etc, do you think it would be knocked back if one of the provisos is that it is shared á la San Siro?

Like I say, just putting it out there and at the same time demonstrating the dangers of allowing a knobhead to think.

Possibly the worst idea I've ever seen on here ;).

Let them call it the Durex Arena for all I care full of pricks they should make a packet. Have to say I have now moved on, don't care what they do TBH, our project will dwarf anything they have managed to do since 1958. They still owe us from the last time we helped out. :-)

jrb said:
I stand corrected.

Isn't there a quote floating about the interweb that a tower around the 30 storey mark can be built close to the stadium, even though the area is full of old mine shafts?

I remember taking pictures of Buckingham filling the remediated Collar site with concrete pillars/supports under the ground.
That's right. I remember reading that those mine shafts went from just by our stadium, right into the city centre. There was extensive work undertaken to 'fill-in' lots of space underground.

And there was talk of a 30story building.<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:00 pm --<br /><br />
BlueAnorak said:
Yes I think we do. The logistics are the killer: There is a 2.5 month window between seasons to remove and install roof parts without closing a stand. Of course it may be possible to remove the roof at both ends at the same time thus compressing the time taken but that would remove the stadium completely as a Summer Concert venue for a year - which raises quite a bit of revenue for the club.
If we play our last two games of one season away from home and our first two games of a new season away from home (there are many instances of back to back away games throughout the season), you could get work ongoing for 24 hours a day from the first weekend in May to the last weekend in August. That would make pretty much four months solid work.

hgblue said:
strongbowholic said:

Mate, it's horrific to think of any more than the usual 2,500 shower of utter fucking shite in our stadium at any given time.

However if one of the provisos of a new super stadium (we're talking ultra modern, 85,000 seat, multi-purpose arena with roof etc - you know the kind of thing I'm thinking of) do you reckon our owners would go for it?

strongbowholic said:
hgblue said:
strongbowholic said:

Mate, it's horrific to think of any more than the usual 2,500 shower of utter fucking shite in our stadium at any given time.

However if one of the provisos of a new super stadium (we're talking ultra modern, 85,000 seat, multi-purpose arena with roof etc - you know the kind of thing I'm thinking of) do you reckon our owners would go for it?

I fucking hope not. Why would they insist on us sharing with that shower anyway?

strongbowholic said:
hgblue said:
strongbowholic said:

Why would anybody want a proviso like that? I can't think of who it would benefit.

Slightly off subject this would have been nice

Ask Development gets approval for $30 million Manchester arts centre
Published: 04-Jul-2012
UK-based Ask Development has secured approval from the Manchester city Council for the £19 million ($29.9 million) Manchester arts centre in Manchester, which has been designed by Netherlands-based architectural practice Mecanoo.
Sprawling over 20-acres site, the cultural centre in Manchester forms an integral part of the £80 million ($125.6 million) redevelopment programme in the First Street area of the city, which is being developed by a partnership between the city council and Ask.

Spanning 60,000 square feet, the new cultural centre will incorporate two theatres with seating capacities of 500 and 150 respectively, five cinema screens, together with 500 square metre gallery space and restaurants, a café and a foyer, studio and teaching spaces and a plaza for outdoor performances.

The arts centre will have a unique, colourful and vibrant design, which will transform the First Street into a vibrant cultural hub.

Ask plans to begin enabling work on the site by the end of 2012. The scheme is scheduled to open in the third quarter of 2014.

Not sure where this is in relation to us, but Manchester on the up and up.

Not sure about the company though Mecanoo bit close for comfort to thinks I had as a kid. :-)

hgblue said:
strongbowholic said:
hgblue said:

I fucking hope not. Why would they insist on us sharing with that shower anyway?

do an 1860 Munich to them.

I'm not advocating it. I hate the idea of groundshare.

However, if the council said "we'll rubber stamp the plans as long as there is a ground share involved as we see no point in having two such large stadia in relatively close proximity." would the owners still go for it?

We would own the stadium. We could charge them for the privillege of using it and their only income stream from it would be match day acitivities. Any subsequent event revenue would be ours. They would in essence behleping us meet FFP.

Like I say, I do not want to see it happen. I do not advocate it. I just wondered if anyone reckons this could be part of anything?

As I said in my original post, this is what happens when you let knobheads (ie me) think for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.