Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

Jumanji said:
ste.sully said:
Do you think they will have to put seats in the corners?

There was a render a few years (was from AFL Architects or Jack Rouse Architects) of a stadium which looked almost identical to the Etihad but had a third tier all the way around.

They would have to devise a new ventilation strategy for the pitch with the removal of the corner louvres but it's possible with some alterations.
Aesthetically speaking, I very much hope so.

But then it's just another bowl, take North and South higher than East And West so the stadium roof sweeps up at both ends, a bit like the Green Point Stadium in Cape Town but without the external cladding to make it more aggressive. I want a statement stadium not a bigger version of stadium:MK

And looking at Abu Dhabi buildings, those guys like statements

Still not sure how segregation with the away fans is going to work without additional spirals being built for access and egress, that's if they are moved up to the 3rd tier. Also, is it the Legends Lounge on tier 2, will that be still accommodated where it is. Or will it be integrated into the new extension.

I'm guessing the 3rd tier could look something like this, minus the Exec Boxes and gaps in the seating to the left of the 2nd tier and the retractable roof.

Etihad stadium, Australia.

[bigimg]http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/06/11/1226661/604650-etihad-stadium.jpg[/bigimg]

I can see the Legends Lounge going, to be replaced by a much bigger and wider lounge or executive suites/boxes, running the full length of the concourse that currently accommodates the Legends Lounge and the few rows of seating either side of the Legends Lounge.

If you remember back one of the main aims of the stadium expansion was to offer much bigger and better corporate facilities on level 2.

[bigimg]http://www.tothe92.co.uk/groundguide/images/pic/manchestercity/etihad_stadium%20(7).jpg[/bigimg]

I've already posted this video twice, but I'm going with it again. I think the 3rd tier will be built from the back, with the South Stand roof coming off at the start of the build, or once the expanded 3rd tier built from the back reaches roof level.(if that's possible?)

Note the dates.

East Stadium Expansion Update July, 2012

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz3ykFuTaNk[/youtube]

Nebraska Memorial Stadium East Expansion Update - April 6, 2013

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HpWlVJDjGg[/youtube]

DiscoSteve said:
So I've been back to my old butchered Arup plans posted 3 years ago and attempted a South Stand Version

So this shows how many rows/seats you can get in within the current stadium perimeter JUST by raising the roof at the back.
[bigimg]http://stevenicklin.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/EtihadSouthStandPlan.jpg[/bigimg]
I assumed spirals around the existing cables but something cheaper easier could be done I suppose.
Based on the number of seats in the last row at the back of the second tier, each full additional row at the front of this new 3rd tier can only have 296 seats in it. And that's where it gets interesting because you'd need 20 full rows of 296 seats to get up to 6000 extra seats in - and clearly that won't fit... so something else is happening - an extension backwards is all I can think of - but that will make the roof realignment trickier...

Could they not increase the height of the supports behind the south stand to a similar height as the spirals, thus changing the angle the support ties come down to the existing roof and therefore increase the space for even more rows of seats. This shouldn't effect the existing 'circular' support linking all the roof but will enable more seating and without restricting views

its not the height that's the problem its the depth - you don't have to raise the roof THAT much at the back to get the rows in I've shown.

DiscoSteve said:
its not the height that's the problem its the depth - you don't have to raise the roof THAT much at the back to get the rows in I've shown.

But if you take the back of the stand right the way adjacent to the supports similar to the spirals being right next to the back of the East stand would this not create more seating. I presumed this was not practical due the height of the supports before they bend back down to the roof, but if these supports were raised higher you could take the stand further back?

- New roof on the south stand which will recycle parts of the current one.

- New exterior. Will look like a completely new stand from outside.

- Stadium will eventually evolve so that all the exterior looks like the 'new' south stand.

- Current South Stand top tier will become the middle tier (obviously). This middle tier will be the same as the middle tier of the Colin Bell and East Stand in terms of comfy seats and pricing.

I've already posted this video twice, but I'm going with it again. I think the 3rd tier will be built from the back, with the South Stand roof coming off at the start of the build, or once the expanded 3rd tier built from the back reaches roof level.(if that's possible?)

Note the dates.

East Stadium Expansion Update July, 2012

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz3ykFuTaNk[/youtube]

Nebraska Memorial Stadium East Expansion Update - April 6, 2013

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HpWlVJDjGg[/youtube][/quote]

I think it makes sense for them to undertake the expansion in this way. It seems the most logical construction method. It also allows for much more in the way of design because they really could sharpen the image of the stadium from the outside. Whilst the stadium has a great shape to it and is quite iconic in that regard, compared to modern stadia it is rather dull and concrete and if they were to develop in this way they really could create something special. And as has already been said, it could eventually be that this encompasses the entire ground. I really don't think these plans will disappoint even if they are more reserved than perhaps we initially had hoped for. The owners clearly have every type of fan in mind and are creating a vision of a stadium that provides for all incomes and all wants. It is impossible to get that combination perfectly but they are making a clear effort to try and provide affordable seats in atmospheric parts of the ground, family seating, and then the more expensive luxury seats and corporate facilities that will make the most amount of money and will be top of the range.

^^ There's a couple of very similar thoughts knocking around the ether at the moment, which to me, suggests the plans have been seen by a fair few and the unveiling is imminent (the portacabin being a big give away!). Whilst it seems that we're going backwards with regard to stadium redevelopment (ad hoc like Maine Road and Old Scaffold), I'm willing to be the stadium will 'come together in the mix' eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.