Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

waspish said:
The thing is if they made it 60k to the plans the owners might think its not big enough especially if we keep winning trophies!

Think our owners want around an 80k stadium and it be iconic

It will be a very long time, if ever, before we could justify an 80,000 seater stadium.

We sold out our home PL games last season, but often only very close to kick off. We only just sold out an FA Cup tie against United. We failed to sell out our first CL fixture. We still struggle to get many more than 30,000 for the less important cup games, a poor attendance for a Carling Cup semi final.

The league win will obviously increase attendances, the league games will sell out a lot quicker. But to justify a 60,000 seater stadium requires an extra 13,000 regular fans. But I'm not sure that the new fans will immediately want to go to every game. We would probably need to attract an extra 20,000 new fans to fill those seats every match.

Subject to engineering constraints, I think expansion should be incremental. Another tier on one of the South or North stands. If there's still demand then repeat that at the other end after a couple of years.

Nobody wants to see fans not being able to get tickets at all, but there's something to be said for ensuring the "sold out" signs are a fairly regular occurence. At least for a short period. Make City a "hot ticket".

pride in battle said:
Kramer, your talking tosh mate, the stadium WAS built with expansion in mind, City emphasized if it needed expanding they could do it without MAJOR problems, 60.000 was the figure.

Sorry but you are talking tosh here, Alistair Mackintosh categorically said when we moved in to the stadium that it definitely is not built with any further expansion in mind, there are no foundations and there is the issue with the roof and spirals. I'm not saying it can't be done with a lot of money being thrown at it, but the stadium was built for 48k and no more. Any expansion will be a huge undertaking, will take a while and a lot of money, so don't kid yourselves.

casualdeyna said:
pride in battle said:
Kramer, your talking tosh mate, the stadium WAS built with expansion in mind, City emphasized if it needed expanding they could do it without MAJOR problems, 60.000 was the figure.

Sorry but you are talking tosh here, Alistair Mackintosh categorically said when we moved in to the stadium that it definitely is not built with any further expansion in mind, there are no foundations and there is the issue with the roof and spirals. I'm not saying it can't be done with a lot of money being thrown at it, but the stadium was built for 48k and no more. Any expansion will be a huge undertaking, will take a while and a lot of money, so don't kid yourselves.

The ground was specifically built for Commonwealth and the turn around of the pitch etc after allowed for expansion to South/North stands etc. It was even on City's stadium info webpage until recently

casualdeyna said:

this is correct

casualdeyna said:
pride in battle said:

I maybe talking tosh but its better tosh than you

Without doubt the stadium WAS NOT built with expansion in mind, just looking at the design you can see that

Dennis Tueart who was on the stadium commission said, when asked about expansion, on Radio Manchester that he ask the question at the time and was told that it although nothing is impossible, with money, then it would be very difficult and hugely expensive

The ground was built for commenwealth and City as the lower tier was built prior to games but was underground. After games was finished the "ground level" was lowered to current level, revelaing the lower tier, seats were added and the North Stand built. I remember reading the interview with Mackintosh in City mag when we moved in as I was disappointed when he said it wasn't built with any kind of expansion in mind.

Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

cibaman said:
waspish said:
The thing is if they made it 60k to the plans the owners might think its not big enough especially if we keep winning trophies!

It will be a very long time, if ever, before we could justify an 80,000 seater stadium.

We sold out our home PL games last season, but often only very close to kick off. We only just sold out an FA Cup tie against United. We failed to sell out our first CL fixture. We still struggle to get many more than 30,000 for the less important cup games, a poor attendance for a Carling Cup semi final.

The league win will obviously increase attendances, the league games will sell out a lot quicker. But to justify a 60,000 seater stadium requires an extra 13,000 regular fans. But I'm not sure that the new fans will immediately want to go to every game. We would probably need to attract an extra 20,000 new fans to fill those seats every match.

Subject to engineering constraints, I think expansion should be incremental. Another tier on one of the South or North stands. If there's still demand then repeat that at the other end after a couple of years.

Nobody wants to see fans not being able to get tickets at all, but there's something to be said for ensuring the "sold out" signs are a fairly regular occurence. At least for a short period. Make City a "hot ticket".

I'm not worried about 25 to 30k empty seats in a 80k stadium! Some fans are fixated on "Empty seats"! Real Madrid Barcelona all the Italian clubs Have 1000's of empty seats at games!

Just think when we play the rags or Liverpool in are major game like the one against the scum at home last season it would be JAMMED PACKED!

waspish said:
cibaman said:
waspish said:

I'm not worried about 25 to 30k empty seats in a 80k stadium! Some fans are fixated on "Empty seats"! Real Madrid Barcelona all the Italian clubs Have 1000's of empty seats at games!

Just think when we play the rags or Liverpool in are major game like the one against the scum at home last season it would be JAMMED PACKED!

Just to add and what is a big factor in all this is the revenue generated outside the stadium.

The more people that can get tickets (even if there only visiting for one game) will generate income in the City store, food stalls, bar areas etc.......

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Not a chance of 20,000 empty seats.

When the time does come for expansion, the latest techniques will be applied.

Including retractable seating, dependent on fixture and event.

Isn't there now a huge waiting list for season tickets? I'm sure I read 15K somewhere. That would suggest that we already have potential to sell out a 60K stadium for league games no problem. So perhaps we could make a move on that and factor in further future expansion into the design so when we're ready to do 80K we kick on. Sounds simplistic I know but you get the gist! As Tolm suggests we're unlikely to ever see swathes of empty space regardless of stadium size from now on.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.