Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

Not read all the thread but can't see us having a new stadium, where would it be?

el bee said:
robbie brewer said:
There have been numerous comments saying our future expansion plans are hindered by the roof design. I'm no engineer but my take on it is as follows:
When the stadium was built for the Commonwealth Games it was built with 3 sides, the north stand being a temporary structure. The 3 permanent stands were covered by the existing roof with support coming from the turrets and existing structure. If the roof could be supported on only 3 sides for the games surely it could be again whilst a 3rd tier was added 1 end at a time. As i say i'm no engineer but just looking at the stadium makes you think it was designed and built with expansion in mind.

The roof support cables were already insitu at the open end during the games. It is the removal of the towers at the back of the stands and their replacement with higher ones placed further out to gain the height required to clear the higher rear roof line that would make it difficult - though with money and engineering it shouldn't be insurmountable.

Cheers mate that explains it as you say though with money it shouldn't be problem.

Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

Weloveyoucitywedo said:
Not read all the thread but can't see us having a new stadium, where would it be?

They could build us a new stadium in Abu dhabi and fly all the fans out for games! I can only dream

what time would some people need to leave to beat the traffic / watch some crap on telly?

JOGAMIGMOG said:
JGL07 said:
jrb said:
In all honesty it's only a matter of time. At some point the ground 'will' have to be expanded, even if it's just the North and South Stands.

60k is enough.

My concern is that any expansion is going to be very technically challenging and extremely disruptive. But for the roof design the expansion could proceed in stages as the support builds up.

It appears that it will have to be done in a 'oner' otherwise the roof dismantling and reinstatement will have to be repeated. This could mean a season 'ground sharing' while the work proceeds or vastly reduced capacity.

Is there sufficient room to build a new stadium on the campus and is this likely to be technically feasible?

Why not remove the roof completely in a week and replace it with another design which is designed to meet up with a future expanded stadium. Effectively the roof will be a 'floating design' suspended by additional cables until the new stands are built and connected to the outer edges of the roof. This could easily be done in the close season.

This then frees us to build additional stands as and when with no disruption.

Or am I being a bit thick?

A week! I doubt that the roof could be removed and rebuilt in the close season never mind a week. This floating design what do you have in mind?

There's nothing going in is there, or someone would have heard a whisper, or we'd have some club comment

Sorry but I can't resist maybe we are hiring Yoda in for a couple of months to keep the roof up while other work is done.

May the force be with you.

:-)))

ste.sully said:
kramer said:
jonmcity said:
Think it is possible to build the new turrets first, leaving the roof in place then secure the roof to the new turrets while extending the north and south stands.

I don’t think it is

As I have mentioned, numerous times in this thread, the roof is a mono-structure, primary support is the PRE-TENSIONED cable net. The roof design is light weight, therefore the foundations will be designed for this so any replacement roof would have to be light Think about the roof as a tent with the guide ropes representing part of the cable net imagine cutting away part of the tent including the guide ropes and putting a new piece in!

Look at the stadium in plan view and observe where the turrets and cable anchors are in relation to the outer wall and you will see how difficult this makes building new structure
It is naive to think that the roof can just be removed and then plonked back on once a new tier has been completed. It is also naive to think that the architects and structural engineers designed the roof as a 'be all and end all' option which prohibits any option to change the aesthetic or capacity of the stadium.

The stadium was not designed with expansion in mind Therefore it is far from naive to think that the roof was designed be all and end all

When the stadium was designed there was never any thoughts that City would need a stadium greater than the circa 48K capacity The roof design was chosen for its aesthetically attributes, a very clever and lightweight and cost efficient structure, I also suspect that the lightweight aspect met the requirements of land that at one time had been a mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.