Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. I was looking at the area on google maps yesterday and including the area where the 2 gas holders, the campus, Adsa and Beswick hub are located the total amount of land they're looking at developing (either MCC, MCFC or both combined) is absolutely huge.
No wonder the Sheikh choose City after considering others. The potential must have just screamed out at them.

GXCity said:
fbloke said:
ManCityX said:
Asda won't be moving. It's just one of fbloke's fantasies.

If its a fantasy its certainly not one of mine.

One of your fantasies was that the ground wouldn't be expanded for at least 10 to 15 years

No it wasnt. Its something that I said as a worse case scenario for a number of reasons. EG If the club were not to start work as soon as they seem to be and if things like the RWC got in the way it could delay the completed stadium and collar site works from quite a few years to come.

And that is proving to be the case BTW as there WILL be work on various aspects of the wider project for at least a decade.

petrusha said:
ColinLee said:
petrusha posted an excellent response to your post but you talk about the Asda being crazy to sell? Do they own the land or is it leased from MCC as someone else claimed?
If it is leased it's not going to be a case of "Get em out by friday! You don't get paid till the last ones well on his way". They'll be in discussions regarding a much better plot for them and won't move until a new store is ready to move in. Even if owned the same discussions would take place.

Does anyone know for sure (rather than just speculating) about the ownership?

I claimed it was leased. Back when I had a contact involved with the Etihad Campus project and wider development issues, I was told that Walmart had the plot on a long-term lease. I assumed it to be the case when in the Eastlands Regeneration Framework suggested that the ASDA plot is a development site (see plan on page 28 at the start of section 7, 'The design directions for Eastlands'). However, I can't confirm it for sure.

However, even if ASDA owns it outright, the Council owns lots of development land in East Manchester. As long as Walmart thinks that one of those sites is acceptable, there's scope for some kind of land swap with a cash adjustment if necessary or other kind of sweetener. (For example, how about they're granted certain concessions to sell MCFC goods in the new store, or are allowed a small-ish presence on the campus itself aimed at serving visitors rather than the local population).

As my 'fantasy' post has re-ignited the ASDA debate I thought it might be worthwhile repeating that City were not involved in those early discussions. From that all I can do is speculate that MCC and ASDA/Walmart (AW) are looking at ways forward for what will be a badly located store.

As others have said the CFA sits on land originally earmarked for 7,000+ houses which surely was a big part of the reason ASDA landed there? With the council having changed that and partnered with MCFC I would imagine all parties are happy with the idea of changing that sites use.<br /><br />-- Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:24 pm --<br /><br />
fbloke said:
petrusha said:
ColinLee said:
petrusha posted an excellent response to your post but you talk about the Asda being crazy to sell? Do they own the land or is it leased from MCC as someone else claimed?
If it is leased it's not going to be a case of "Get em out by friday! You don't get paid till the last ones well on his way". They'll be in discussions regarding a much better plot for them and won't move until a new store is ready to move in. Even if owned the same discussions would take place.

Does anyone know for sure (rather than just speculating) about the ownership?

I claimed it was leased. Back when I had a contact involved with the Etihad Campus project and wider development issues, I was told that Walmart had the plot on a long-term lease. I assumed it to be the case when in the Eastlands Regeneration Framework suggested that the ASDA plot is a development site (see plan on page 28 at the start of section 7, 'The design directions for Eastlands'). However, I can't confirm it for sure.

However, even if ASDA owns it outright, the Council owns lots of development land in East Manchester. As long as Walmart thinks that one of those sites is acceptable, there's scope for some kind of land swap with a cash adjustment if necessary or other kind of sweetener. (For example, how about they're granted certain concessions to sell MCFC goods in the new store, or are allowed a small-ish presence on the campus itself aimed at serving visitors rather than the local population).

As my 'fantasy' post has re-ignited the ASDA debate I thought it might be worthwhile repeating that City were not involved in those early discussions. From that all I can do is speculate that MCC and ASDA/Walmart (AW) are looking at ways forward for what will be a badly located store.

As others have said the CFA sits on land originally earmarked for 7,000+ houses which surely was a big part of the reason ASDA landed there? With the council having changed that and partnered with MCFC I would imagine all parties are happy with the idea of changing that AW sites use.

Went to Asda this morning and noticed that the first of the bridge supports on the ground side had gone up as had a further support on the junction on the minhad side.
Didnt spot them yesterday so must have gone in overnight.

I know Alan Turing way /Ashton New road junction was shut last night, as I was driving back to work and got diverted around the back of the velodrome and training ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.