Etihad Stadium increase??

The only way i can see us getting more fans in the etihad is if we impliment the safe standing they have in germany .isnt there a reveue coming up on this early next year .imagine the lower southstand all safe standing !! if it holds say 4000 would that boost it to say 6ooo ? just a thought

C17Y KG said:
The only way i can see us getting more fans in the etihad is if we impliment the safe standing they have in germany .isnt there a reveue coming up on this early next year .imagine the lower southstand all safe standing !! if it holds say 4000 would that boost it to say 6ooo ? just a thought

Not certain on the specifics (I'm sure Phill Gatenby will know) but I thought the idea of safe standing was that you replaced 1 seat with 1 standing place (not like the past where some clubs tried to make 4+ fit per seat space).

I don't see any capacity change with the legislation they would introduce for standing these days.

The crowds we're getting now are pretty much irrelevant, it'll be the corwds we're expecting in 1/5/10 years time that the club will be considering when deciding the right time to expand.

To increase each end (at COMS) by 6000 , how hard can that be?
that would give us a 60000 stadium..

how many games would we fill it in a season ? in a season right now would say about 6 in the league later rounds of the cups maybe.. we could push 50 k +
but ongoing with all the new fans we should be ok

I think there is considerable suppressed demand at City caused by:

1. The hassle involved in getting a ticket, frequently documented on these pages.

2. The high price of tickets - yes, I know about Spurs and Arsenal, but we are not a London club, we are a low-wage Manchester club.

3. The hassle of getting to the ground, especially by public transport, especially for night matches.

Item 3 will shortly (?) be sorted out by Metrolink. The other two aren't worth sorting out until we get a new ground or expand the existing one.

In my view having too small a ground will hold the club back, if not immediately then in a season or two. You can't build a ground or significantly extend one overnight. A decision is needed soon.

The other way to go is to increase prices to ration the available seats. This would be a disaster for many long-term supporters, although the wealthy among you would be OK.

I always believe that we have to be ambitious and that if we build it they will come. Obviously, the issue is to fill it every week, but let the marketing and ticketing people worry about that.

In 1920s Manchester the Blues leaders didn't think "our ground holds 40,000 yet our average is 25,000, we'd better stay here." Instead they thought... "we fill the ground for big games, just think what we could get if we moved. Let's build a stadium twice our capacity!"

Within a year of the move from Hyde Rd to Maine Rd the Club attracted 76,166 - at the time the largest football crowd ever in Manchester (including 3 cup finals and all attendances at OT).

Obviously, the Club couldn't fill it game after game at that time, but the move did allow support to increase and every season from 1923 to 1963 (apart from one) the highest League crowd was easily in excess of Hyde Rd's capacity (often by more than 20k). Cup games were even better - we all know the stories about the 84,569 but there were several 70,000 plus attendances right up to the capacity being reduced in late 50s (76,129 was the last City home crowd over 75,000 in 1956).

I wouldn't suggest increasing City's capacity to 85,000, but I am totally in favour of speculating and planning to increase the capacity to 60k then (if successful) to 76k.

Design can limit the impact of empty seats in cup games (just use bottom 2 tiers; curtain off the rest?) and I'm pretty certain that this season our average would be well in excess of 50k if the stadium could hold 60k or more. I do worry that fans will be priced out if the stadium is not increased in size.<br /><br />-- Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:58 am --<br /><br />
BrianW said:
I think there is considerable suppressed demand at City...

In my view having too small a ground will hold the club back, if not immediately then in a season or two. You can't build a ground or significantly extend one overnight. A decision is needed soon.

The other way to go is to increase prices to ration the available seats. This would be a disaster for many long-term supporters, although the wealthy among you would be OK.

I strongly agree! Several clubs have found that limited capacity as the Club grows has hampered its long term development. Sunderland were pleased to have a sell out stadium when it first opened but younger supporters/those without a history of support couldn't get tickets. Their interest (particularly younger fans) waned and when the club needed them they weren't there (over simplification but the basic point is true).

A similar thing happened at Maine Rd - although the move to Eastlands helped there was a period when the Club was seriously worried about the age of its fan base. Supporters were getting older and the Club had less younger fans because they hadn't been able to get tickets for Maine Road during late 90s/early 2000s. Live4City was aimed at re-building City's younger support though it was difficult without trophy success (or hope of success at the time).

Hinchcliffe's header said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988%E2%80%9389_Manchester_United_F.C._season Interesting to see that there were on average, 17000 empty seats at the theatre of screams in the season 88-89.( 38k average attendance with a 55k capacity). At that time, Ferguson (who was 47 yrs old at the time)was in his third season in charge and hadn't won anything. Roberto (46yrs old) is also in his 3rd season and already delivered a trophy . We are pretty much selling out for all our league games and i can only see that continuing. So to plan ahead for an increased capacity, right now, would be a pretty sensible thing to do in my opinion. United's av attendance has increased by around 37k in 20yrs. With Sheikh Mansour's wealth and future plans for City, i'm pretty confident that a much quicker increase in average attendances can be achieved.

Quite right mate. Some people on here just have no vision whatever. They think Utd always had 75,000, and they cant fathom that we are planning for 3, 5 10 years down the line, not building so that it would be increased to 60,000 for the Villa game!!

If we are selling out now against bum teams the growing demand is obvious to anyone but an idiot.

john@staustell said:
Hinchcliffe's header said:
We are pretty much selling out for all our league games and i can only see that continuing. So to plan ahead for an increased capacity, right now, would be a pretty sensible thing to do in my opinion. United's av attendance has increased by around 37k in 20yrs. With Sheikh Mansour's wealth and future plans for City, i'm pretty confident that a much quicker increase in average attendances can be achieved.

Quite right mate. Some people on here just have no vision whatever. They think Utd always had 75,000, and they cant fathom that we are planning for 3, 5 10 years down the line, not building so that it would be increased to 60,000 for the Villa game!!

And when people mention cup games, Europe crowds etc... the comparison with Utd is even more positive. Even though they had a support similar, in terms of average League attendance, in the early 90s to City's today, their European crowds were often lower than City's are at present. In fact Utd's 19k V Torpedo Moscow (Gary Neville's debut) is lower than any European crowd City have ever had at home.

Of course, to some extent that may seem irrelevant, but it does show that one or two 'low' cup crowds should not stand in the way of the ambition of the planning.

Going back to how many standing compared to seating. A couple of weeks i was informed on here that in Germany 10 seats would equate to 18 standing, 9 on each row, so that would mean if a stand had 5000 seats then it would equate to 9000 standing, as i say this is only what i was told.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.