Etihad Stadium increase??

RandomJ said:
We'll never fill 60k a week, sorry we just won't so pointless to extend.

make the ticket prices cheaper and you will fill a stadium, lets say our tickets on average are £28, times that by 48,000 = £1,344,000 a game, now have a stadium of say 80,000 at a
average of £18, that's £1,440,000 a game plus all the extras such as shirt sales, food and drink.
i'm sure germany has cheap prices and have very good attendances

chinley blues said:
RandomJ said:
We'll never fill 60k a week, sorry we just won't so pointless to extend.

make the ticket prices cheaper and you will fill a stadium, lets say our tickets on average are £28, times that by 48,000 = £1,344,000 a game, now have a stadium of say 80,000 at a
average of £18, that's £1,440,000 a game plus all the extras such as shirt sales, food and drink.
i'm sure germany has cheap prices and have very good attendances

The exra £100k wouldnt even cover the extra steward or police cost's.

Germany have a great set up, but they are not expected to pay for the police in the same way we do.

Their would be easier ways to bring in an extra two million a year without the need to spend 10s of millions to build it.

Danamy said:
The last i heard the stadium expansion was imminent so i would expect some sort of news on it soon.
Required asap as the team is doing well, and League games are selling out a fortnight before Kick Off. If we had an extra 15k seats, we'd be able to attract an extra 15k new fans whilst the team is doing well. Theres no guarantee of future success so we should do it while we're doing well on the pitch.

BigBlueNick said:
Are there any plans to expand our stadium?
Im sure a 60,000 capacity (3 tiers all the way around) would fill well for every league game!

It might mean we could confine away fans to a 3rd tier corner rather than 2 tiers in the south stand!
I really wish the club would find a way to move the away fans to the third tier which would....
(1)Allow for a better atmosphere and (2) Allow City to charge a higher price for away fans!
No, it wouldn't.

the only way an increase in capacity would work is if you put ticket prices down saw it when we played hamburg as soon it was annouced it was a fiver every one went ( locals, people who stopped going, anyone else?) - think it sold about 18,000 tickets in 2 hours or something

I would like to think that because of UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules that the club would want to increase capacity as soon as possible, as, eventually, our beloved Shiekh will not be able to inject as much cash, and so by upgrading our Stadium he would be increasing revenue. more bums on seats = more cash to buy the top players with!

Additionally, Abu Dhabi and the UAE love architecture so I can't see this not happening soon.

Gary James said:
Mëtal Bikër said:
I thought that it was designed so that it could be increased to 85,000 as a temptation to United to accept tenancy after the Games finished but they refused to leave the Swamp.

This is something i read once, so not sure how true it is, but i think it was a piece by Gary James.

Not quite... the story about Utd being offered (and encouraged to move to) the stadium is true. This was before the plans were finalised though, so the 80k capacity offered to them was scaled down.

The story was referred to by Simon Mullock in the Mirror (link) and after a thread was created by someone else I explained with the comment below. Hope this helps.

On a personal level my view is expand the stadium now (don't wait... if we wait ticket prices will have to go up as demand increases and some of us won't be able to afford to buy our tickets). With our current capacity we will be priced out if capacity does not increase.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-United-planned-a-shock-switch-from-Old-Trafford-to-Eastlands-now-occupied-by-rivals-City-article644147.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ma ... 44147.html</a>

Gary James said:
I got a message from someone telling me about the article in the Mirror, so was pretty pleased they did something on the book. Last week we sent out all the review copies to national papers, magazines and so on...

The story of the stadium....

For me this is just one of hundreds of stories uncovered or rediscovered within the book. It's not, in my eyes, the best or most significant, but it does show that football in Manchester is not as straight forward as people assume. This story may prove more significant in future years (had City been stuck at Maine Rd I suggest Thaksin would not have been interested in the club, never mind Sheikh Mansour! Also, United's financial issues may not have been so great had they chosen to move). Time will tell, but to me this could be as significant in the future as some of the others such as the Bribe scandal in 1905-07; the Manchester Central story etc.

The article couldn't cover the full story, but the quotes contained within it are all directly from my book and an interview I performed in late 2008. I gained a lot from that interview and really appreciated the time given by Graham Stringer and the material he gave. To me it showed real ambition for the City Council to be planning an 80,000 stadium in the mid-90s and, as a football historian, it's fairly obvious that the only viable tenants of an 80k stadium at that time would have been Utd. Don't forget City were heading towards Div 2 (third tier) and to suggest they could have a 80,000 stadium at that time would have brought widespread criticism and probably no backing from the Govt & other authorities.

The situation has changed dramatically since then (as it had done between the 1930s when City were the side breaking all the attendance records with a League record crowd of 79k+ and the 84,569 & Utd were heading towards possible oblivion and the 90s). Personally, I think City could build towards a 80,000 capacity in stages over the next decade or so and, with the right conditions, the fan base will grow (again the book does show how Utd attendances have grown with sustained success since their average of 36k in 1988-89 when the capacity was 56k).

With so much debate about London Olympic Stadium tenants and so on; I think Stringer & Co should be applauded for what they actually planned and what they delivered. All of these negotiations took place before the stadium build was finalised - and so when the agreement was ultimately reached and signed following City's promotion in 1999 the plans could be finalised.

Manchester can be proud of what was delivered for the Games and the legacy that was left. City can be proud of how they are now taking that legacy and building on it.

What I do find funny about the reaction in some areas is that when the MEN gave part of the story the other week some of the comments on their site claimed that the story was totally fabricated and that it was not true. Now that the Mirror have lifted some of the actual quotes, those adding comments are suggesting it's a very old story!

If you don't believe me, pick up the book at Waterstones and have a flick through. I also think most Mancunians will be surprised by some of the material (one of the most recent is connected with the Tevez 'welcome' and Utd banner).

Each book takes long time to write (and I am currently working on 4 separate books; one of which may not appear for a few years because of the depth of research needed - I started researching specifically for "Manchester A Football History" in the 90s and book of this significance do take time).

Thanks,

Gary

Almost positive that the 80K stadium was the one planned for the Olympics as soon as we lost that bid and the Commonwealth bid was planned City were the only possible tenants

In my view we will build a new stadium as the design of the current one does not allow for easy expansion

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.