Etilsalat 'Congratulations' Cringe

I went to a secondary school and sixth form in Trafford from 1993-2000, I’m sure your kids can come back with something like “CHAMPIONS” to the jibes and be smug as fuck
100%. My primary and secondary school years in Sale were 1993-2005. Perfect timing really...

I don’t listen to Rags or Dippers regurgitating that kind is shite.

Like it or not and for the record mate, I don’t as I’m old school which means no piped music, drums, trumpets or half time sack races etc, it’s here to stay and it’s aimed at kids and foreign fans.

I made my peace with it years ago.
I can’t believe the number of people on this forum who look for the negative in everything associated with city. Champions with two week of APRIL left, 16 points clear, watching football from the gods and yet some video aimed at an overseas, non-English speaking audience, is causing grown men and our kids in school a major embarrassment. 29 goals all season with only 10 at home and NONE after New Year’s Day. Losing 8-1. Playing Arsenal between 2000-2010, regular batterings by the rags, playing Stockport County 6 times in 5 seasons and winning only one whilst losing 3. Losing at York, countless relegations and many terrible performances could have been classed as embarrassing.
If I coped with that I think I’ll be ok with this!

I can’t believe the number of people on this forum who look for the negative in everything associated with city. Champions with two week of APRIL left, 16 points clear, watching football from the gods and yet some video aimed at an overseas, non-English speaking audience, is causing grown men and our kids in school a major embarrassment. 29 goals all season with only 10 at home and NONE after New Year’s Day. Losing 8-1. Playing Arsenal between 2000-2010, regular batterings by the rags, playing Stockport County 6 times in 5 seasons and winning only one whilst losing 3. Losing at York, countless relegations and many terrible performances could have been classed as embarrassing.
If I coped with that I think I’ll be ok with this!

Agree completely mate.

Having seen us knocked out of the Cup at Shrewsbury and Halifax, follow City all over the country knowing we were going to lose every fucking game, see City playing away at Arsenal wearing a yellow fucking kit because some marketing twat though we liked yellow because we waved bananas, I could never be embarrassed by the video.......some City fans have no idea of the shite times we went through to get where we are today. You want to annoy your Rag mates, sing the fucking song to them, I promise you it will wind the fuckers up no end!!!........we are City fans, one of the few sets of fans I know who can happily take the piss out of themselves.

Having seen us knocked out of the Cup at Shrewsbury and Halifax, follow City all over the country knowing we were going to lose every fucking game, see City playing away at Arsenal wearing a yellow fucking kit because some marketing twat though we liked yellow because we waved bananas, I could never be embarrassed by the video.......some City fans have no idea of the shite times we went through to get where we are today. You want to annoy your Rag mates, sing the fucking song to them, I promise you it will wind the fuckers up no end!!!........we are City fans, one of the few sets of fans I know who can happily take the piss out of themselves.

It would be funny if it got sung on Sunday.

My kid's have been constantly been getting the p*as taken out of them for being City fans for this video at school. Huge embarrassment and own goal.

It makes the cringy amateur output usually churned out on "The Apprentice" look award winning.

I am usually very supportive of our club's output but I genuinely believe whoever is responsible for this is completely incompetent.

If we are using external contractors don't use them again, if it's internally produced, sack them or give them another less damaging role.

fuck me, try being a 90s kid when you had the piss taken out of you by Burnley and "Stockport" fans.

Christ, if they can come up with 1 of the hundreds of available retorts in this day and age then they're not being brought up properly, you should have them primed and ready.

Do your job.

My kid's have been constantly been getting the p*as taken out of them for being City fans for this video at school. Huge embarrassment and own goal.

It makes the cringy amateur output usually churned out on "The Apprentice" look award winning.

I am usually very supportive of our club's output but I genuinely believe whoever is responsible for this is completely incompetent.

If we are using external contractors don't use them again, if it's internally produced, sack them or give them another less damaging role.

Christ, with you as a parent i think they'll be getting bullied regardless

Just watched it. Sent shivers down my spine that. Can't believe the players were talked into it.

Then again, it's Etisalat. Maybe their consumer demographic love these kinds of cringe.

Well, at least we now have a cringey video. About time really with all these brilliant CityTV content we laugh at ourselves. So from typing the first line above to this, I'm actually, somehow, feeling OK with it. And it does feel like City really. So I am now stomping my feet no end.

I had one rag call it plastic so I asked him how he would know? When was the last time he went to a match?

It did the job.

I don’t listen to Rags or Dippers regurgitating that kind is shite.

Like it or not and for the record mate, I don’t as I’m old school which means no piped music, drums, trumpets or half time sack races etc, it’s here to stay and it’s aimed at kids and foreign fans.

I made my peace with it years ago.

You and I are very much the same then. I'm old school and find so much that now surrounds football to be utter fluff and nonsense, not all of it though, as a little kid attending matches at Maine Road in the 60s, the experience can only be described as f**king appalling, you couldn't see a thing, nothing at all, just a sea of legs and wet donkey jackets, you were subject to violent mosh pit like surges, deafening noise, cigarette smoke, the smell of shit and piss, in fact you stood in piss all the time, it ran down the terraces like a stream, it was all very frightening for a little kid

All that's gone now and so much more, some good, some bad, but at least that 60's crap was untainted by corporate bullshit, no one re-packaged it and sanitised it beyond recognition.

Why this video really stands out is its cringeworthy attempt at authenticity, the way it tries to portray "genuine" fans. I've covered this in other posts and no one seems interested in debating it, everyone, including yourself, have filed it with all the other corporate garbage we produce, but for me this one stands out for it sheer awfulness, it crossed a line that should not be crossed and that is the reason social media, the Guardian and all points west have latched on to it, in a sea of shit this little nugget was a turd of a different colour.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.