EU Referendum Thread

We've asked them to reform the EU, make it more what we initially signed up to; a trade union with economic partnership. They have refused time and time again, stating that 'a fully integrated Europe" is the way forward. We've had Barroso championing the EU, likening it to that of the old Empires.(Not what the EEC was meant to be)

We've had Hollande stating that member states should either accept more integration, or leave.

Losing the UK, the second largest economy in Europe after Germany, would be a hammer blow. There's no debating that. There's a lot of talk about what would happen to the UK if we left yet few are prepared to discuss the serious ramifications a British exit would do to the EU. The UK is in the unique position that the result of our referendum has to be accepted and then renegotiations must take place regarding our relationship with Europe on trade issues http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/th.../title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html. The EU itself cannot block or influence any result of the referendum though they have attempted to drive home the pro argument via the BBC.

The impartial BBC you mean?

BBC admits receiving millions in grants from EU and councils

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-millions-in-grants-from-EU-and-councils.html

I'd imagine the eu referendum will be carefully phrased like the electoral reform one was. Something like 'do you want to stay in and live happily ever after' vs 'leave the EU and commit financial suicide'. The politics of fear will win.

I'd imagine the eu referendum will be carefully phrased like the electoral reform one was. Something like 'do you want to stay in and live happily ever after' vs 'leave the EU and commit financial suicide'. The politics of fear will win.
The original question was "Should the UK remain a member of the EU? YES (positive message, progressiveness, puppies and life) or NO (negative, doom and gloom, racism, all shall die!)

Now that it's since been change to the more neutral "Should the UK leave or remain a member of the EU?" with our options being IN and LEAVE, the pro-EU campaign has struggled to put forward a compelling arguement as to why the EU has our best interests at heart and isn't anyhting more than a group of fat cat, money grabbing bureaucrats only in it for themselves. The In campaigns current tactic appears to be suggesting that without the EU, Britain is nothing, would fail to cope in the world alone, that other nations would shun us and leave us to our own devices, which before long we would descend into anarchy and cannibalism, with only the remaining few lamenting on the stupidity of their neighbours for bringing about their own doom.

Naturally though, the Leave campaign could fall into the same trap as any heavy message about immigration would kill stone dead any rational argument the Leave campaign had to offer. The arguement about Britain's decision to leave the EU has little to nothing to do with immigration or control of our borders; rhetoric that will turn people off. Instead it should focus on the EU's corruption, it's steps towards creating a Federal Europe with unelected officials making rules and dictating fiscal and monetary policy. The slow eradication of cultural diversity across European nations using slandering terms like Populism and Nationalism, in favour of promoting a "European Identity", complete with flag, anthem and Armed Forces, a tactic not too dissimilar to that of the Soviet Union. Using immigration as cheap, unskilled labour in order to cut costs and exploiting those most in need of help. The loss of democracy and the democratic process, how these unelected officials are completely unanswerable to any higher governing body. That's before we even get to the disaster of the single currency and all the havoc that's caused.

Last edited:
I'm curious what would happen if we vote out. The EU needs the departure of one of it's major net contributors like it needs a hole in the head. The Euro is already under immense pressure and is showing signs of cracking. Would an out vote trigger a serious renegotiation and a second referendum?

The EU would be mad to make further concessions after an Out vote. It would create a dangerous precedent, leading to other countries going down the same route and the UK continually threatening to pull out in order to achieve even more concessions.

So yes, an Out vote probably would trigger a serious renegotiation

I actually think we have an important role to play in the world by being 'out'. Anyone who has read 1984 will value the role of not being part of one of three continental superpowers at permanent conflict

I actually think we have an important role to play in the world by being 'out'. Anyone who has read 1984 will value the role of not being part of one of three continental superpowers at permanent conflict
I think you dramatically overestimate Britains relevance to the world and I think the idea that Britain won't be tied to one of those three superpowers namely US/NATO is as likely as peace in the Middle East by November this year.

Fair enough, but I still think we have a role to play by being part of both (or neither) in stopping things becoming too polarised. I know the map is not pink anymore and we are no longer a world power, but we still do have a lot of influence although I realise it's fading.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.