Euro aways “on the cheap”

183sash

Saw a few blues at Zagreb airport yesterday going home via Germany, Belgium , Slovenia etc and it makes me wonder if it’s really worth the mither financially , I did Spikes (£320) , £50 for hotel , flew from and landed back in Manchester so only had to have 2 days off work . Was wondering who got the best deal getting there and back and how many days did they have to take off to do the trip , also where did they have to drive to and from to get home ?

I’ve often thought this .
It’s a personal thing . If you’re cash rich , time poor , you’ll want direct and minimum fuss flights.
If you’ve a load of time on your hands then it’s a good way to see parts of Europe you might not generally get to . ( Although I really don’t get the multiple airports but )

Living in Edinburgh Spikes trip is really no use to me. Can usually get cheap flights from Scotland to or near where game is.
Zagreb was different and flew via Paris with a nice quick transfer time

Flew from Heathrow on Tuesday morning which was around £200 direct to Zagreb (can't remember the actual amount), me and my mates take it in turns to drive (my turn to Oxford next week) paid £60 for parking, apartment was about £25 each for two nights and decent. The only pig was getting back last night, took us 3 hours 15 to get there on Tuesday but due to traffic and road works it took us 6 hours getting back last night.

I don't enjoy flying and after watching City almost 30 times in Europe I've been lucky not to need to do 2 flights to get to a destination. Always try to fly from Manchester but there have been a few times over the last few years where we've had to drive a distance first (i.e. Stansted for Basel).

For us, the travel is all part of the experience. We flew to & from Manchester to Budapest for £60 return. Late flight on Monday evening & got home at about 8pm last night. One night & an afternoon in Budapest then 2 nights in Zagreb. Train to Budapest, coach back was £15 each way & the hostels worked out at £11/night for 3 nights.
Saw 2 capitals in 2 countries I'd never been before with 3 days off work for £125 - bit knackered last night but another brilliant trip. If I was self employed or holidays were an issue, I'd consider Spikes trip but if not, I'd always opt for the scenic version.

Been able to do all the European aways since TNS and nearly all from Manchester unless there’s been no alternative,the thought of landing back at say Stanstead then having a 3/4 hour car drive home would kill unless as I said there was no alternative , I don’t like flying so the option of a connecting flight is a no no , did it once to Moscow - never again

Saw a few blues at Zagreb airport yesterday going home via Germany, Belgium , Slovenia etc and it makes me wonder if it’s really worth the mither financially , I did Spikes (£320) , £50 for hotel , flew from and landed back in Manchester so only had to have 2 days off work . Was wondering who got the best deal getting there and back and how many days did they have to take off to do the trip , also where did they have to drive to and from to get home ?

You will find that few people would place any financial advantage in doing what you did, 'cos they wouldn't place too much monetary value on convenience!

You will find that few people would place any financial advantage in doing what you did, 'cos they wouldn't place too much monetary value on convenience!
TBF it was the usual faces on the SO trip and we probably made up about a 1/3 of the attendance ,so convenience matters for a few , for me time off work is more important than having to spend a few more quid , but it’s interesting to know how much others did the trip for and how long it took

we did Wednesday morning 6am flight from Manchester to Zagreb via Brussels and back Thursday afternoon via Munich for £260 flights and £25 each for hotel.

Did stansted
Slovinia £27
Slovinia, Zagreb train €9
Zagreb Berlin £55
Berlin Stansted £25
Over 3 days incredible trip

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.