Europa league

pauljv92 said:
Amadeus20 said:
Dream-scenario:

Mourinho gets fired in Madrid arter a trophy-less season

Mourinho to manage City. That would be sick.

What are you thinking mate? Thats not a dream scenario buy any stretch of imagination. I like mancini for the way he is and even his flaws. We are lucky to have such a fantastic manager so that thought is just sick mate.

Mourinho has a winning record against United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea... The guy is class. And yes, better than Mancini.

Didsbury Dave said:
DD said:
xenon_ said:
Thanks for the words of support, mate. To halfway-answer your question at the end, there... (I'm sure one of our more insightful fans will answe it fully...) Manchester City have a fantastic youth system and have had one for a long time now. We have some promising young talent rising through the ranks and they are learning to play football the way our first team does.

As far as the Europa League is concerned, when I look at it without thinking, then I don't care about it. But then I realise that a trophy is a trophy is a trophy... is a trophy.

The idea that it's not important is an idea that has come from clubs who see no financial value in the competition. I've merely adopted these views. So I'd like to see City win it, simply because winners win things.

PS - We won my favourite cup last year. If we get the league, I can die happy. But yeah, win everything City... win it as much as you can, as much as possible.

The question is if a European run in this competition costs us so much us two league points would you consider it worth it?
I don't believe Mancini would sacrifice 2 points for the Europa trophy if you offered him that trade off now
An extra 2 points or a european trophy?
Trophy easy but thats just me

Everyone wants the trophy but if there is a 1% chance that EL could be a threat for the title it should be lost purposely. And I think it already is.

You have to understand that title means everything to club in this phase. It would cut a road to be where club wants to be to half. It brings new fans, it brings direct money, it brings new markets - everything that EL doesn't or does in some tiny amount.

Didsbury Dave said:
Noone at the club is making decisions like this on "European Coefficient". If the title is 10 on the scale of importance, that doesn't even make 0.1.

How do you know that. Every move the club has made has been with an eye toward turning this club into a world powerhouse. To do that you have to think about things like European Coefficient.

Re: Re: Europa league

MSP said:
If I remember good we had some discussions here about coefficients and basically it wouldn't bring any significant points even if we would win it and definitely would not help us to avoid 3rd pot in CL next year again if all expected teams qualify .

We can get over 20 additional points, which would certainly move us into the 2nd pot.

notts blue said:
well for the fans who are travelling out to portugal and spending best part of a grand, i want a strong team played!

silverware is silverware...

Correct 3 days off work and £500. The least we deserve

Re: Re: Europa league

moomba said:
MSP said:
If I remember good we had some discussions here about coefficients and basically it wouldn't bring any significant points even if we would win it and definitely would not help us to avoid 3rd pot in CL next year again if all expected teams qualify .

We can get over 20 additional points, which would certainly move us into the 2nd pot.

I've read something different before but it's nothing more reliable than your post so you may be right.

I would still leave EL as significantly less important competition this season. We should be able to pass through CL group from 3rd pot too next season. We should do it this season too tbh, Napoli are certainly not better side.

RyantheBlue said:
9 games to win Europa, if we want to win the league we CAN'T play the fullest XI every game.

That's why clubs with our ambition don't have a set 11. They have a squad that if properly used throughout a season can in fact compete on four fronts.<br /><br />-- Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:08 pm --<br /><br />
MSP said:
moomba said:
MSP said:

I've read something different before but it's nothing more reliable than your post so you may be right.

I would still leave EL as significantly less important competition this season. We should be able to pass through CL group from 3rd pot too next season. We should do it this season too tbh, Napoli are certainly not better side.

There are a lot of factors that go into it not least of which is what other teams make it. For example it looks likely that at least one team who is always a first pot team will not even make it to the CL this year (Chelsea or Arsenal). When they don't everyone below them moves up a spot. I don't think we can know what pot we are going to be in but what we do know is five years of results go into your ranking so the more points we get this year the better regardless of whether its enough to get us into pot 2 (i.e. even if we don't make pot 2 next year we will be a lot closer to it if we do well in Europe this year).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.