European Super League | ECJ rule that UEFA and FIFA acted unlawfully in blocking Super League (p 29)

Who could do it better. As bad as they are does anyone really think a league run by the footballing euro royalty clubs would be better.
A new super-league would be a hell of a risk. That said I think the threat from a rival league may force UEFA to change the way it operates. UEFA can't continue to manage and control all the broadcasting rights, it can't be a commercial rival to clubs for sponsorhip deals, it can't continue to operate in a corrupt way, and can't continue to treat fans like shit. UEFA's role should be as a regulator and organiser without all the politics. Even a move in the direction of some of these goals would be welcome.

It's all well and good all these clubs coming out in opposition against it, but what happens when Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Juventus, Inter Milan, Napoli, Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Galatasaray, Besiktas, Fenerbache and probably no doubt someone like Marseille all break away?

There will be no Champions League to play in, it would be utterly pointless.

I think Perez knows he has enough support to go ahead with this and that eventually all the other clubs will have to join because they know they will have no real choice, and this suits the clubs that have opposed publcily.

They can eventually come out and say we were against it but look, this is where football is heading, we can't do anything about it. If we don't go we are going to get left behind.

The likes of Boehly, Henry, Glazers and even Mansour.. They are in this game for the money and to increase the value of their teams.

I think you get £100m just for being in the ESL, to get that from the CL you have to win it.

Napoli for example just by entering the ESL will get £100m minimum.

This is going to happen eventually.
If UEFA changes the way it organises broadcasting it could compete financially with any super-league. The clubs are being ripped off at the moment. Tyson fury can earn more in a few fights than City got for winning the CL. UEFA can't pretend that it is still 1992 and digital streaming doesn't exist. Money always talks.

Last edited:
The ESL administrators lawyers are based in the same Madrid offices as Real / Florentino Perez. At the moment it’s a binary choice between Syphilis or Gonorrhoea. The new competition will be run by the old guard clubs for the old guard clubs.
The proposed ESL is too closely associated with the Real Madrid "Mafia" including crooks like Tebas. He is a totally divisive and toxic figure in Spain and it's hard to see any major clubs (or sponsors) trusting the new proposals whatever their merit.

It would be just like their promise to screen all matches free of charge, imho. As soon as it has served its purpose, to convince hapless fans how wonderful it is, then it will, of course, be scrapped. UEFA and FIFA have some issues, of course, but they do a lot of good work funding grass roots football and the domestic federations. You really think Real Madrid and Barcelona will give a toss about the Scottish league, for example? Irish? Icelandic? They don't even care about their own domestic league. I wouldn't trust these people with an inch of anything, let alone, effectively, the future of football in Europe.
I think the quote implied that "some" matches would be free of charge. Any league would be totally unviable without broadcast income. The whole point of the breakaway is that the clubs would own and manage their own broadcasting and cut out the middle men at SKY, Bein etc etc. If they did that they could afford to let match-going fans in for nothing. But I wouldn't trust them any more than I trust the crooks at UEFA.

I think the quote implied that "some" matches would be free of charge. Any league would be totally unviable without broadcast income. The whole point of the breakaway is that the clubs would own and manage their own broadcasting and cut out the middle men at SKY, Bein etc etc. If they did that they could afford to let match-going fans in for nothing. But I wouldn't trust them any more than I trust the crooks at UEFA.
Let's face it, the clubs could let fans in for nothing now given what a small percentage of turnover is gate money, they could certainly afford twenty quid a game which would be fair and reasonable but they won't.

The proposed ESL is too closely associated with the Real Madrid "Mafia" including crooks like Tebas. He is a totally divisive and toxic figure in Spain and it's hard to see any major clubs (or sponsors) trusting the new proposals whatever their merit.
Tebas is strongly opposing the ESL.

Still can’t get my head around why any club would be interested in a competition where two clubs trouser €1billion each before a ball is kicked yet somehow claim the competition will be much fairer than under UEFA ??

But no idea how this goes forward - English German and the top French club won’t have any part of it so there will probably end up 2 diluted competitions.

It's all well and good all these clubs coming out in opposition against it, but what happens when Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Juventus, Inter Milan, Napoli, Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Galatasaray, Besiktas, Fenerbache and probably no doubt someone like Marseille all break away?

There will be no Champions League to play in, it would be utterly pointless.

I think Perez knows he has enough support to go ahead with this and that eventually all the other clubs will have to join because they know they will have no real choice, and this suits the clubs that have opposed publcily.

They can eventually come out and say we were against it but look, this is where football is heading, we can't do anything about it. If we don't go we are going to get left behind.

The likes of Boehly, Henry, Glazers and even Mansour.. They are in this game for the money and to increase the value of their teams.

I think you get £100m just for being in the ESL, to get that from the CL you have to win it.

Napoli for example just by entering the ESL will get £100m minimum.

This is going to happen eventually.
CL would be utterly pointless? I really dont think so. Out of that illustrious list you have only RM have managed to get to a final in recent years. Its a very yesteryear list isnt it? I mean new clubs are winning it now and they are the attraction.

I too think it will happen. I also think it wont be whilst those 2 debt ridden spanish clubs are pulling the strings.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the women's super league set up before the men's and that could then be used as a guinea pig to show how it would work to gain support.

A new super-league would be a hell of a risk. That said I think the threat from a rival league may force UEFA to change the way it operates. UEFA can't continue to manage and control all the broadcasting rights, it can't be a commercial rival to clubs for sponsorhip deals, it can't continue to operate in a corrupt way, and can't continue to treat fans like shit. UEFA's role should be as a regulator and organiser without all the politics. Even a move in the direction of some of these goals would be welcome.

Why do you think UEFA shouldn't be allowed to run its own tournaments, negotiate broadcasting deals for them and sponsor them with third parties? That isn't where the law is going at all afaik .......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.