Euros Ref and VAR

Same as Johnson (partly) tweeted. But my question again is: were these interpretations (and others referred to by the "analysts" such as arm behind the body is no penalty, arm vertically down is a natural position) made public in which case it is my ignorance which is the problem, or are they distributed to referees only in which case there is a detrimental effect due to a lack of transparency, or maybe somewhere in between? Certainly, Nagelsman didn't seem to know about them. Anyone know?

It just seems to me they are trying to turn refereeing into a precise science with all these rules and interpretations, and explanations after the event don't really cut it.
Ah ok, couldn't see the tweed.

It really seems the 2-day briefing for the 89 match officials 4 weeks pre tournament has been behind closed doors.
Maybe they are afraid of criticism if the detailed rules are clear for anybody to hold an advantage of knowledge.
Non transparent as usual. They will know anyway 5 different refs will make 6 different decisions in the same case...

Last edited:
Ah ok, couldn't see the tweed.

It really seems the 2-day briefing for the 89 match officials 4 weeks pre tournament has been behind closed doors.
Maybe they are afraid of criticism if the detailed rules are clear for anybody to hold an advantage of knowledge.
Non transparent as usual. They will know anyway 5 different refs will make 6 different decisions in the same case...

All fair enough. It just seems to me they really don't make it any easier for themselves by introducing new "rules" and "interpretations" all the time behind closed doors. In secret, if you will.

In the old days, the only interpretation for handball was deliberate or not. Purely subjective, but everyone understood the concept and it was accepted. Sure, everyone debated the decisions but they still do.

Now no-one understands anything any more, except for analysts who can pick any secret, behind closed doors, video or interpretation to support any decision that is made.

It's akin to analysts explaining stock exchange movements after the fact. Who cares? We want to know before so we can make some money.

In football, we want to know before so we can enjoy the game again. At least, I do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.