Everton Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He says he's an Evertonian but all he does is say how much he loves United all the time. I understand he had great success there but if you're a born scouse Everton fan it's still a bit odd.
Says it all about a modern fan really.. same as Carragher.. born and bred a blue but swears his alligence to Liverpool F.C. might aswell add people who support clubs whose town or city they were not even born or live in. madness. Big modern fan for you.

Says it all about a modern fan really.. same as Carragher.. born and bred a blue but swears his alligence to Liverpool F.C. might aswell add people who support clubs whose town or city they were not even born or live in. madness. Big modern fan for you.

I get players who've had great success with a club and played for them for years can have an affinity with that club and fans, but your love for your boyhood club must be stronger surely? Pep summed it up when he said he'll always be a City fan but his club is Barcelona or something like that.

As for today's fans I guess times change. Years ago before wall to wall live football and the internet you only knew your local club. Obviously you knew of other clubs but that knowledge was limited. You had your local paper and a couple of national ones and the radio for news. Then TV came along, MOTD started but aside from internationals only the fa cup final was shown live. Things snowballed from there. Now football is available to everyone worldwide. You can live thousands of miles away but watch every City game live. Prior to this you supported a local club of choice because that was the only chance you had to watch them on a regular basis.

I get players who've had great success with a club and played for them for years can have an affinity with that club and fans, but your love for your boyhood club must be stronger surely? Pep summed it up when he said he'll always be a City fan but his club is Barcelona or something like that.

As for today's fans I guess times change. Years ago before wall to wall live football and the internet you only knew your local club. Obviously you knew of other clubs but that knowledge was limited. You had your local paper and a couple of national ones and the radio for news. Then TV came along, MOTD started but aside from internationals only the fa cup final was shown live. Things snowballed from there. Now football is available to everyone worldwide. You can live thousands of miles away but watch every City game live. Prior to this you supported a local club of choice because that was the only chance you had to watch them on a regular basis.
Yep good points made here.. the thing I have never understood is just because you happen to like a club doesn’t mean it’s yours.. I adore The Brazil football team, loved all the players from Pele to my fav 82 team with Zico, Socrates Eder etc and even modern players like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, The Maracana along with Wembley are the two greatest most famous stadiums in the world. I have never been to Brazil and probably will never watch them live however I would never ever claim to be a proper Brazil fan the same as a person who has lived in Brazil all his life, born and bred in Botofogo and goes to games in the Maracana so why are these modern fans thinking Clubs are theres when all they basically do is like them and watch them on telly... just don’t get it..

Yep good points made here.. the thing I have never understood is just because you happen to like a club doesn’t mean it’s yours.. I adore The Brazil football team, loved all the players from Pele to my fav 82 team with Zico, Socrates Eder etc and even modern players like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, The Maracana along with Wembley are the two greatest most famous stadiums in the world. I have never been to Brazil and probably will never watch them live however I would never ever claim to be a proper Brazil fan the same as a person who has lived in Brazil all his life, born and bred in Botofogo and goes to games in the Maracana so why are these modern fans thinking Clubs are theres when all they basically do is like them and watch them on telly... just don’t get it..

Times change. Some of our fans abroad who've never watched us play live are as emotionally invested as those of us who went to Maine Road. Whether they would still be if we hit the buffers again is another matter of course.

Times change. Some of our fans abroad who've never watched us play live are as emotionally invested as those of us who went to Maine Road. Whether they would still be if we hit the buffers again is another matter of course.
Genuine supporters will remain, plastics will go elsewhere. How many in each camp?? There are 600 million genuine rags, you know. Or is it 6 billion?

Yes some could be emotionally invested.. it seems very strange to have the same bond as a local though especially when that club you might claim to support will never be yours like it belongs to a person who comes from the town or City it plays in.
Let’s be honest here.. anybody from abroad who claims to be a City fan will almost undoubtably be a gloryhunter now unless they lived in Manchester and moved abroad.

Yes some could be emotionally invested.. it seems very strange to have the same bond as a local though especially when that club you might claim to support will never be yours like it belongs to a person who comes from the town or City it plays in.
Let’s be honest here.. anybody from abroad who claims to be a City fan will almost undoubtably be a gloryhunter now unless they lived in Manchester and moved abroad.
But individual fans don’t compare themselves to others.

They have their own feelings towards the club they follow, and don’t consider themselves any less of a supporter than someone, who comes from the same town/city as the team they support.

Just because I don’t come from Manchester, it doesn’t mean I love City less than people born in Moss Side, Ancoats or Gorton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.