Every dog and all that

Didsbury Dave said:
Lucky Toma said:
In all those years what was the exit that hurt the most?

There was Everton in the League Cup quarters during the late eighties and West Ham at the same stage of the FA a few seasons back. Both times I was convinced we were final bound.

Now there's a big question: which cup exit hurt the most. Here's my nominations.

1) spurs 1993. For every reason: the hope, the excitement, the fact that we went 1-0 up, the timing
2) united 2010. becaue of all the lucky wins they'd had, because it was them, because of the way we were locked in
3) Liverpool 1981. Because of how unjust it felt, because I was 11 and wasn't used to the Gods of Football

The dippers in 81 hurt a lot. Even though I was 16 at the time I couldn't work out how we were the better side in both games and still lost.

Didsbury Dave said:
Lucky Toma said:

There was Everton in the League Cup quarters during the late eighties and West Ham at the same stage of the FA a few seasons back. Both times I was convinced we were final bound.

Now there's a big question: which cup exit hurt the most. Here's my nominations.

1) spurs 1993. For every reason: the hope, the excitement, the fact that we went 1-0 up, the timing
2) united 2010. becaue of all the lucky wins they'd had, because it was them, because of the way we were locked in
3) Liverpool 1981. Because of how unjust it felt, because I was 11 and wasn't used to the Gods of Football

Can I add Blackburn away in Pearce's last season? A cup run to the quarter finals had given our season a gloss our league form did not justify. And then that shower.

That remains the only time I have ever truly considered a Manchester City team to be an absolute disgrace. That day they really weren't fit to wear the shirt.

Chris in London said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lucky Toma said:

Can I add Blackburn away in Pearce's last season? A cup run to the quarter finals had given our season a gloss our league form did not justify. And then that shower.

That remains the only time I have ever truly considered a Manchester City team to be an absolute disgrace. That day they really weren't fit to wear the shirt.

One of my sons earliest away days, aged around 9, he couldn't believe how bad we were plus all the arguing amongst blues capped a bad day off.

'81 semi v Liverpool and Reeves' disallowed goal was horrible too....

Chris in London said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lucky Toma said:

The Blackburn defeat comes high on Many blues' shitlists, but never will on mine. There was an interview with Richard dunne in the times that morning where he talked about all the different factions in city's dressing room, and the lack of team spirit. And I knew, with absolute certainty, that we would lose the game. It's probably the only big game in my lifetime that I didn't go to, as I was away on holiday. I had no hope whatsoever so I just shrugged the defeat off in some pub in staithes, North Yorkshire.

There are three that really stick with me. Notts County away, that was a real blow as I really thought that was our year and I remember barely being able to speak all the way back to Manchester. In hindsight though, I think they got Spurs away in the quarters and we would almost certainly have been knocked out there. The Spurs quarter final in 93 was terrible, so much hope going in to it and so depressing the way the day panned out. And Crystal Palace away in a league cup quarter final. I went down there just assuming we would win (I have absolutely no idea why) and we got absolutely battered. It was just a very shit night, think Lomas swallowed his tongue, we weren't even remotely competitive and then I got split up form my mates and had a terrible drunken night in London with no money.

Amazing that a thread that started off as a celebration of our recent successes has descended into a history of some of our darkest days.

That's not a criticism by the way. It's good that we remember the bad times as we currently enjoy our days in the sun. I think it helps keep a sense of perspective. We were badly scarred during that barren period.

For those who missed it, this is a great read by the poster Done Howe on another thread:

<a class="postlink" href="http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/news/23-01-2014/what-i-miss-about-manchester-city/867393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/ne ... ity/867393</a>

80/81
League cup semi v Liverpool (h)
League cup semi v Liverpool (a)
FA cup semi v Ipswich (vp)
FA cup final v Spurs (w)
FA cup final replay v Spurs (w)

Went to all except dippers away. Even stayed over from FA Semi up until 1st final, than went home (to Holland) and came back for the replay. Got back totally desillusioned, no money and no spare free days from work. Being 22, still don't know why my dad thought I was behaving irresponsible. He had to put up with me in his house for another 6 years. Great memories however.

Now I'm married ...

City 1 Coventry 3 Jan 82....

I remember 81-82 season and wishing so much to avenge the cup final defeat of 81. We had Francis, Tueart, Hutchinson all on song after going top of the league during new year.

We blew it against Stoke in a drab 1-1 draw and the season went to pot after that.

Back to the Cup..Got past Cardiff at Maine Rd beating them 3-1, then we got another home draw against Coventry..Boy we were awful. I think Mark Hateley scoring two past a woeful Joe Corrigan and dreadful Nicky Reid.
The real pain came when Peter Bodak got the winner. I knew it would be a long time before we would get anywhere near Wembley again.
(Thank goodness for the Full members, even though it wasn't a fist class trophy which we lost also)..

As i'm writing, Just remembered the nightmare of league cup same season about Nov 81v Barnsley. Gutted also that we went out early 0-1 at Oakwell with a Bob Latchford goal? Mick McCarthy was in the Barnsley team that night. Oh the shame of it !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.