Excited when they signed but turned out to be rubbish

Mick Channon if I remember correctly

Channon wasn't poor at City by any means; he did OK. Nonetheless, I think it's fair to put him in this list. He was a big letdown compared with his reputation as one of the top strikers in the country and in view of the fact that he was bought as the last piece in the jigsaw, intended to help a team that had just missed out on the league into one that could win it.

I'd also nominate Alan Kernaghan, who looked pretty good for Boro and the Republic of Ireland. We paid a fee for him that amounted to about 50% of the British transfer record, so the equivalent of £50 million or so today, and he was simply awful for us. I remember one game at Elland Road where Brian Deane gave him such a torrid afternoon that I was embarrassed for him.

Finally, I'd suggest Georgios Samaras. The only major signing we made with the money we received from selling Shaun Wright-Phillips, we needed the Pearce's "uncut diamond" to come good. Eight league goals for us in over 50 appearances certainly didn't qualify as doing so, yet we still used to get people on here saying might. Was never, ever going to happen.

Not gash, more underwhelming, but of those not already mentioned, I really expected David Rocastle (RIP) to have a much bigger impact at City than he did. There were occasional flashes of the genuine and exciting quality he showed as a youngster at Arsenal, but they were too few and far between and he was gone within a year iirc

I was listening to that under the cosh podcast this week and Nicky Weaver was talking about Ousmane Dabo. I remember being really excited at this signing. I was on holiday in Rhodes at the time it was announced sitting in a bar with the wife watching sky sports news when it flashed up.
Obviously didn’t turn out so well for all concerned but at the time i really thought we had purchased a cracking player.

Andreas Isaksson. Looked a really good keeper. I think a few other clubs were looking at him and I thought it was a real coup when we landed him. Injuries and Stuart Pearce not really fancying him ended his city career. A shame as he had everything to be a class keeper at city.

Nery Castillo. I was at his debut I think it was West Ham away. As good as it got. Around that time I really thought Svennis was putting together a really good squad but ultimately in a few weeks it all started to unravel.

Honourable mentions to.
Bianchi.
mcmanaman
Samaras

Thought we were getting the player from the Euro's, rather than the TV pundit.

Gary Megson.We watched him at boundary park on his debut and he scored the winner, thought we finally had a midfield general, actually turned out to be awful.Probably a controversial one, but I also expected Jesus to turn into a great finisher ,but that's not happened either,no where near clinical enough.

Mikheil kavelashvili, murtaz shelia and kakhaber Tskhadadze. Was only a kid all I knew was they were kinkys mates, I expected kinkladze clones. We did not get kinkladze clones.

Bojinov, his reputation as a champ man wonderkid raised expectations, not really his fault his knee exploded.

Bony, after witnessing his incredible Swansea form it appeared he had everything to be a goalscoring machine in that pellegrini team, then we asked him to play like aguero which was never going to go well and he was actually just very shit.
That Swansea team had one attacking ploy:
Out to the wing, cross, Bony steams in and heads it. He was never a footballer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.