Excited when they signed but turned out to be rubbish

Hatem Trabelsi, like shit off a shovel, until he has to turn and then his ankles gave up for another 12 months

Benjamin Mendy
Wilfried Bony
Jesus Navas
Nolito
Javier Garcia
Eliquim Mangala
Dare I go on...
I was just going to post Eliaquim Mangala. I remember the excitement and hype when we signed him and I expected him to be really special. How wrong could I be.

From about 1985-2000 it might have been easier to pick out the ones who did well for us! Most of the players we signed in that era were turkeys! :)

Some players I remember getting excited about and then disappointed with a few weeks later:

I was at Maine Road for Alphonse Groenendijk's debut against QPR and at the time, we didn't get many Dutch players in England - especially from Ajax! The guy had a decent debut and could pick out a pass. I was sure he was going to become a legend at City.... it goes without saying he didn't become a legend and don't remember him playing much either.

I was also really excited about Ricky Holden. Oldham had produced some top class players and Holden was the one who would put in these insanely accurate crosses with plenty of whip on them. I honestly think that he could cross the ball as well as Beckham. In my mind, Holden would whip in the crosses and Quinn and White would be 25 goals each. He was absolutely awful. Not only that, he looked well out of shape too.

David Sommeil was one who should've been ideal next to Distin, but he just looked absolutely out of his depth. Many of these players had decent careers up until they signed for us then just lost whatever they had. Sommeil wasn't bad, but just disappointing.

Tony Vaughan was a big name signing in 1997 from Ipswich - around £1.5m I think it was. He was supposed to be a City fan but played like he'd had 10 pints before getting on the pitch. I remember one game where he was played as a full back and was just awful there - slicing the ball out of play. They swapped him around in the second half and he sliced it out on the other side then! He was just a poor player.

Wayne Bridge had shown glimpses of being a decent player before he came to us. When he got here, he did nothing. He was probably one (as well as Mills) of the worst pound-for-pound signings we made. He had no interest in playing for us, no desire and had no intention of getting fit.
Christ, I just physically shuddered at the mention of Tony Vaughan

I really thought Bianchi was going to bang in hatfuls of goals for us. Thought he was the perfect signing - how wrong was I? We gave him a brilliant chant too.

Eike Immel !worst keeper i have witnessed at city followed by

Martyn Margetson!

Keith MacRae was not to great neither!lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.