explain the cricket

Immaculate Pasta said:
Blue Smarties said:
Freddie gets a 24 hour piss up if England win. Simples.

That is bullshit.

It's 72 hours and you know it!!
Think of him now, downing the drink while we're all sat here on Bluemoon. He's having a great time.

Unless of course they did get locked in the hotel.

I think the 'beating the rags' analogy is the closest in footy terms.

For years we have been the Aussies poor relations when it comes to competing and winning, but lately the gap is closing and there could well be a period of sustained England (City) dominance in the not too distant future.

:)

You want a football related explanation?

Imagine a world cup final, and England stuff Scotland. Or we stuff United 15-0.

That's what it means to us.

TFC said:
I think the 'beating the rags' analogy is the closest in footy terms.

For years we have been the Aussies poor relations when it comes to competing and winning, but lately the gap is closing and there could well be a period of sustained England (City) dominance in the not too distant future.

:)
Yeah that's pretty much it... although that means I'm a fucking Rag, doesn't it?

JakeRedMCFC said:
england play australia every 2 years in the ashes, no other teams are in it, they win a tiny urn with the ashes of a wicket from years ago. We won it from nothin, our players played brilliant in the last test.

Ah I always wondered why it was called the Ashes.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

SambaMan said:
It is often refereed to as the equivalent of the World Cup.
Is it hells like, its nowhere near the cricket world cup for one simple reason, there's only 2 fuckin teams in the bastard thing, it pisses me off the way they big it up and then some stupid tits say its the ultimate in cricket, how disrespectful is that to other cricketing nations???? England beat a shit Australian side, they would'nt even have won the 2005 Ashes if it wasnt for Mcgrath getting injured for the last one. It annoys me the way the media make it out to be such a big thing, i watched it a few times and it just bores the fuck out of any normal person. Who the hell would want to watch a game where they just dont even try and hit the ball 9/10. It is the most boring sport of all time, id rather watch table tennis than test cricket.

I will watch any cricket that is on. Internationals, one day game, T20, Pro40, the lot.

However, for someone to describe The Ashes as one of the biggest events in world sport is totally false.

Most of the world couldn't give a stuff about cricket (not that that automatically makes it false - The Superbowl is still a big, if not massive, event).

But, more importantly, to the rest of the cricket playing world, The Ashes is just another big series, albeit one that has slightly more history and meaning than most.

Pakistan/India series' could be argued to be just as big but, quite honestly, hardly anyone here gives a shit about them, apart from those qith family background - and this is one of the few cricket playing nations.

Regardless of your opinion of test cricket versus the shorter game, the cricket world cups, T20 and one day, are far bigger sporting events, and that's just in the world of cricket, as they appeal to people from everywhere around the world.

I bet even the IPL gets bigger global viewing figures than The Ashes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.