FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not perfect but he's better than anyone since Venables. And that was a long time ago. People forget how shit England were in those interim years.

Would we end up with someone better. I can't think of anyone who would be and would take it.

England weren't great but there were far better teams like Germany,Italy,Brazil,France and our nemesis Portugal the standard was far higher imo.

But he made some awful decisions

yep

our only hope was pens or corners or a free kick ? where is the creative ambition from midfield to slip somebody in or find a killer pass, Foden and Bellingham are the best 2 young midfield players in the world right now and how many times did we get them on the ball in the middle of the park and run at them.

we don't have any sort of ideas of opening up teams, it's sloppy old school setup of hot potato pass and rush hit it long and play from the 2nd ball, Southgate is miles away from a being international manager. EVERY TIME we come up against a good team, we are found out by the lack of ideas.

how many times did Harry Maguire just lump it up field instead of just giving it to somebody in midfield,
also, how many times did we see anybody wanting it off our back 4 from midfield ? just get somebody on the ball and control the game

I’ve been one of his biggest critics since that semi final v Croatia. He then surpassed that with the final v Italy. Just as he’s becoming a bit more tactically astute, we’ll probably get rid of him now. Definitely not down to him this one. Then again, his fanboys won’t admit he should have gone years ago.

Down to him or not. the problem is he can’t seem to read the game

I’m not saying that he has to be able to see the future, but good managers can read the pattern of the game

Halfway through the first half , it was pretty clear that Jordan Henderson didn’t have the legs for this game. I’m not knocking Henderson, because I would never questioned his desire but he was stifling and slowing us down in attack. You have to read that and know you need someone there who can get on the ball.

Or there was a few minute spell where Foden drifted centrally and was pulling all of their players out of position, why not think “there might be something here” and let him stay there? take the tiring Henderson off and get Grealish or Rashford on the pitch on the left. But no, it’s just back to default setting.

Imagine looking down the bench, knowing it’s a must win game and time is ticking, seeing Grealish who can carry the ball and draws fouls, or Maddison who can change games with real quality, or a fast forward like Wilson with some pace and try 2 up too but you go “Mason, you’re on”

In a big game knockout against a good side, he’s never once made a proactive substitute to change the pattern of the game.

Give it a rest.
I know he’s not that liked on here but what are the alternatives. England did ok tonight. Penalty away from possible extra time.
They had 5 key players missing! They were there for the taking. But we sat back and did nothing at 0-1. Maguire alone must have wasted 15 minutes dithering about with it then passing it sideways and backwards. Watch it again and spot the difference when their back line got hold of the ball - it was up the field and our lads were defending again in less time than it took for Maguire to pass it sideways. That's on Southgate because he keeps picking him.

In the second half we rallied a bit, their defence was starting to panic a bit and it was screaming out for someone like Grealish. So he puts Rashford on, a player who (like Maguire and Shaw) have generally had two poor seasons. I know you can argue I'm biased because they're united players, but what sort of manager builds a team around that?

It's the mentality, even foreign coaches have said it after we've lost to them yet we STILL don't get it. Too worried about losing to take a chance and push on, then end up always chasing the game instead of taking it to the opposition to begin with. For the first time in a long time I thought we had the players to do it, but with this manager I knew we would lose as soon as we played anybody half decent.

TBH I'm happier that our boys are coming back home, just hope we haven't lost Stones for any length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.