FA Cup 1969 semi final 45 min highlights

Not seen this before & doubt it's ever been shown other than Apr 69, but it's just appeared on YT - Ye old football channel

Allison's interview at the end is prophetic as he refers to Mike Doyle as Tommy Doyle, clearly confusing Mike with Tommy Booth who of course just scored the winning goal.

Brilliant!! I was 8 at the time and the ensuing final was only the second I actually watched. I am impressed by the amount of passing football played by both sides on what looked like a dog of a pitch. England had some great players at that time and should have made the 1970 final if Ramsey had not had a substitution aberration, the loss of Banks for the QF and Frannies miss.

Great to see the characters in the crowd and the number of blokes wearing ties!!!!

We need to bring back ticker tape/Izal bog roll but I doubt they would find their way through the back of todays micro netting!!

Also the Granada opening theme music brings back memories. As I remember their highlights were always screened on Sunday afternoon at 2pm.

Last edited:
Man of the match was David Connor imo. Never let Ball have a touch. Rumour has it that Ball was looking round the Everton changing room at half time to see if Dave had followed him in there.

I was fortunate enough to speak with Joe Mercer the following season and he agreed with me. Hsaid that Dave was the best player at City for a 'man marking' job, and was really unlucky not to have been in the first eleven for the final.

That was one great thing about the 60s and early 70s, players and managers were happy to stop and chat with fans young and old, and made you feel genuinely valued.

No idea, but we definitely sold out our allocation.

As I recall, it was customary for semi tickets to be split equally between the two teams and the host club. If that's right, we'd have got about 15 or 16k.
I think that's probably right. I was in the seats opposite the cameras with .my dad and uncle. I think k it was called Witton La e and city had a out half of that and the open end. Just remember Connor following Ball everywhere and we were pretty le el with Tommy Booth when he scored.

Great stuff. Most of the old City material online simply shows just the goals or very brief highlights. This gives a much better idea of how Joe and Malcolm's team actually played.

Ye Olde Football Channel has been posting a lot of interesting stuff in recent weeks that's new for YT. A lot of it's The Big Match, shown in London, but even then there are a couple of games City feature in. We also occasionally get shown in the third game on that show when we've been the main game in the Granada area.

Mike Doyle had the nickname Tommy, by the way, from before Booth joined the club as an apprentice, so that's what Mal was been referring to - there was no confusion. It's referred to here among other places: MCIVTA page on Mike Doyle.
i worked with Mike's dad Tommy and apparently the family called Mike Tommy as well!!
Young Tommy was named after Mike's dad.

I think that's probably right. I was in the seats opposite the cameras with .my dad and uncle. I think k it was called Witton La e and city had a out half of that and the open end. Just remember Connor following Ball everywhere and we were pretty le el with Tommy Booth when he scored.

I remember ending up about 20 yards away from my mates when the dust finally settled after we scored. It went absolutely mental behind the goal!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.