FA Cup Final - Post Game thread

Oh God, I thought all this ‘No Plan B’ nonsense had been put to bed years ago.
Passing a team to death who sit back has been a theme all season. As United proved you don't even have to be any good to stop us if we are playing in that slow, labored fashion. It wasn't a coincidence the introduction of Doku provided pace and more urgency to our game. Slow build up allows organised teams to get into position and make life very difficult for us, even unorganised teams like United. You could argue the Doku introduction was a plan B, I would just like a different dynamic to our game more at times, false 9 in games we know Haaland will offer nothing in, or play to his strengths, or attack with pace and urgency.

Passing a team to death who sit back has been a theme all season. As United proved you don't even have to be any good to stop us if we are playing in that slow, labored fashion. It wasn't a coincidence the introduction of Doku provided pace and more urgency to our game. Slow build up allows organised teams to get into position and make life very difficult for us, even unorganised teams like United. You could argue the Doku introduction was a plan B, I would just like a different dynamic to our game more at times, false 9 in games we know Haaland will offer nothing in, or play to his strengths, or attack with pace and urgency.
Personally I think when we have the best centre forward in the world playing for us, we need to be playing to his strengths and that means players like Doku beating their man and delivering the crosses needed. I think we may see a bit more directness next season. I hope so anyway as I like watching players like him.

Personally I’d focus on buying a similar player for the right.

Personally I think when we have the best centre forward in the world playing for us, we need to be playing to his strengths and that means players like Doku beating their man and delivering the crosses needed. I think we may see a bit more directness next season. I hope so anyway as I like watching players like him.

I agree, we haven't played to his strengths which have meant him contributing next to nothing in games and usually in some of the bigger games as he's up against better defenders. Us allowing every team to get every man back through slow, passive build up means if we are to find him then it needs to be eye of the needle type stuff. If our approach changed and similar to the Sane/Sterling years then he would score a bucketful more than the impressive amounts he already does. If we don't change our approach then he can't play certain games for me. Either way, I will try and move on from this game.

Haaland surprised me with his great header recently, most of his heading is woeful tbf, that's why he tries a lot of the 'worldy' scissor kicks - he doesn't read the ball in the air well enough for me. His strengths are always chasing a ball over the top both with Dortmund, Norway and early games at City. I don't think there is a better payer in the world in that position, genuine really difficult skill, holding off defenders and beating keeper 1 v 1. Problem is, you need to have space behind to exploit that. Doesn't happen much in our games.

Last edited:
The guys had been on a two-day bender (allegedly). I'm well over it.
To say the players lost touch with reality is an understatement - 2 x day bender BEFORE only the second Manchester derby in History - in the oldest recognised football tournament in history..with thousands of working class supporters, committing time and money to see their team represent them in the best possible fashion...pretty poor really especially when you see how much the squad picked up in wages that week.

The main damage was done in the three games before they played us. All three draws including Southampton at home. They were already wobbling and we just killed them off.

They actually beat Chelsea and Newcastle- away in the next two games, with the league gone and the pressure off.
'Just killed them off' ?
They knew they had to come to ours for a title decider and were bobbing it. We played them off the pitch, literally in Odergards case.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.