FA cup....Nottingham Forest v City 27th January 1974

toffee balls said:
DTKOAG said:
toffee balls said:
Was it 1-0 to forest.

I was there if it was.
I hope you were not fighting..

I was sat with the Forest fans in a small paddock above the City fans.
Forest were in the 2 nd division and we right up for it both on and off the pitch.

They battered us Chris.

I bet you were there.....
To be honest mate i cannot remember it.
I went to the one late 70's in the cup where it was called off and replayed during the week and again they turned us over 2-1 i think..
Think that was the start of the Clough/Taylor success period.

DTKOAG said:
toffee balls said:
DTKOAG said:
I hope you were not fighting..

Forest were in the 2 nd division and we right up for it both on and off the pitch.

They battered us Chris.

I went to the one late 70's in the cup where it was called off and replayed during the week and again they turned us over 2-1 i think..

I was at the 2 -1,we were on the side right next to the Trent End if I recall.Late 70s I think.

Didnt do the 74 one,believe it was not a very nice visit.

Tbilisi said:
DTKOAG said:
toffee balls said:

They battered us Chris.

I was at the 2 -1,we were on the side right next to the Trent End if I recall.Late 70s I think.

Yes it was Jan 78 we beat Leeds previous round away,when the draw was made I thought not another away tie also Forest were top of the league and went on to win the title.

xgorton said:
Tbilisi said:
DTKOAG said:

Yes it was Jan 78 we beat Leeds previous round away,when the draw was made I thought not another away tie also Forest were top of the league and went on to win the title.

Good call,was at the Leeds game too before it with my Dad......he wanted to leave when they came on the pitch,I was 17 and said no chance.......would do now though!

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

I was there, a student in my first year in Nottingham, City were a top side with great players but we were slaughtered largely at the hands of Duncan Mackenzie who had a worldy. I was a shock as in those days we were a class side nit given to such shocks. Needless to say I got the piss ripped out me by fellow students.

blueyorkie said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

I was there, a student in my first year in Nottingham, City were a top side with great players but we were slaughtered largely at the hands of Duncan Mackenzie who had a worldy. I was a shock as in those days we were a class side nit given to such shocks. Needless to say I got the piss ripped out me by fellow students.

Eh?? The previous season Bury (4th division) dumped us out of the League Cup 2-0 at Gigg Lane and the season before that Bolton (3rd division) hammered us 3-0 in the League Cup at Burnden and Boro (2nd division) knocked us out of the FA Cup after a replay. It was a shocking performance at Forest but not exactly a shock result, even though we got to the League Cup final that season we struggled to put away lower division teams. York took us to a replay and Walsall to a second replay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.