FA cup....Nottingham Forest v City 27th January 1974

lancs blue said:
blueyorkie said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

I was there, a student in my first year in Nottingham, City were a top side with great players but we were slaughtered largely at the hands of Duncan Mackenzie who had a worldy. I was a shock as in those days we were a class side nit given to such shocks. Needless to say I got the piss ripped out me by fellow students.

Eh?? The previous season Bury (4th division) dumped us out of the League Cup 2-0 at Gigg Lane and the season before that Bolton (3rd division) hammered us 3-0 in the League Cup at Burnden and Boro (2nd division) knocked us out of the FA Cup after a replay. It was a shocking performance at Forest but not exactly a shock result, even though we got to the League Cup final that season we struggled to put away lower division teams. York took us to a replay and Walsall to a second replay.

Think the Bolton 3-0 was a Gary Jones hat-trick? I remember St Peter's Way or whatever it was called then was rammed and by the time we got in the ground it was already 2-0. The third was a penalty and a tall skinhead jumped out of the City fans and started legging it across the pitch. He got as far as the centre circle when Jones scored and he (the Blue) fell to his knees and was carted off by the Bill.

Was at the Forest game as well, only thing I can remember was that we got beat, the sun was shining, and it was kicking off all over the place.

Of course my memory could be shot, but happy days anyway!

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Tbilisi said:
Was that the game played afternoon cos of power cuts? Lot of trouble off the pitch that day if I recall although I didnt go.

That's right, quite a lot of trouble outside the ground, several fans ended up in the river Trent...lol!

Bloody freezing that day too....
My brother was on of them.

Was there in 69 and 70 it was when mike Doyle scored the winner 1 nil, managed to get over the bridge but their was a mass of leather jacket guys waiting, very disturbing events took place all the way back to the train station, forest was always a cagey ground to visit all the way through the seventies!

Bluemoon230989 said:
lancs blue said:
blueyorkie said:
I was there, a student in my first year in Nottingham, City were a top side with great players but we were slaughtered largely at the hands of Duncan Mackenzie who had a worldy. I was a shock as in those days we were a class side nit given to such shocks. Needless to say I got the piss ripped out me by fellow students.

Eh?? The previous season Bury (4th division) dumped us out of the League Cup 2-0 at Gigg Lane and the season before that Bolton (3rd division) hammered us 3-0 in the League Cup at Burnden and Boro (2nd division) knocked us out of the FA Cup after a replay. It was a shocking performance at Forest but not exactly a shock result, even though we got to the League Cup final that season we struggled to put away lower division teams. York took us to a replay and Walsall to a second replay.

Think the Bolton 3-0 was a Gary Jones hat-trick? I remember St Peter's Way or whatever it was called then was rammed and by the time we got in the ground it was already 2-0. The third was a penalty and a tall skinhead jumped out of the City fans and started legging it across the pitch. He got as far as the centre circle when Jones scored and he (the Blue) fell to his knees and was carted off by the Bill.

Was at the Forest game as well, only thing I can remember was that we got beat, the sun was shining, and it was kicking off all over the place.

Of course my memory could be shot, but happy days anyway!
Over 42,000 at Burnden Park that night.

Went to that one on the coach. Very dodgy on the terraces; we ended up in the main stand paddock, though it could have been an overspill from the old open end. It was also dodgy getting back to the coaches. I think there were about 5,000 of us there and we lost 4-1.

Remember that at the City Ground during late 70's/early 80's there were notices painted by the club stating

"Gentlemen. Please refrain from throwing missiles."

Made me laugh anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.