FA Cup Quarter-Final Draw | Burnley (H)

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would be fine keeping the present method but going out and grabbing two random people off the street to do it, preferably somebody who didn't even like football.
Rugby fans perhaps? We could make funny shaped balls for them.

They could make it 8pm on Saturday night

Liverpool Wolves was 8pm on a Saturday in January

This just makes me more sad (see my earlier post about the woeful state of statistical literacy among the general population as statistical methods take over their lives).

I was obviously been a bit light hearted. Although the older you are, probably the more likely you are to be suspicious of any technology. Even something as basic as random number generator.

To seriously answer your earlier point, I don’t think anybody is suspicious of lottery draws because there’s no widely held belief that the organisers have very much to gain by fixing it.

Whist millions of football fans are permanently and actively looking for evidence of their club getting cheated. So a draw with no clear human input would be ripe for them to jump all over , the second a draw pops up they don’t like.

Nothing mathematical or scientific about it. Just good old human nature.

I was obviously been a bit light hearted. Although the older you are, probably the more likely you are to be suspicious of any technology. Even something as basic as random number generator.

To seriously answer your earlier point, I don’t think anybody is suspicious of lottery draws because there’s no widely held belief that the organisers have very much to gain by fixing it.

Whist millions of football fans are permanently and actively looking for evidence of their club getting cheated. So a draw with no clear human input would be ripe for them to jump all over , the second a draw pops up they don’t like.

Nothing mathematical or scientific about it. Just good old human nature.
I wouldn’t say there is nothing mathematical or scientific about.

But I agree tribalism and poor understanding of probability is good old human nature.

It was always going to be Burnley or Utd. Great to see Vinny return but it’s not the easiest of ties. It’s good to see so many non-PL teams get there and if you know any Utd fans it’s worth highlighting the Grimsby story…. The last time they were one step away from Wembley in the FA Cup they made history by establishing the record crowd for any game at Old Trafford - that’s right. It‘s not United who established OT’s record crowd it’s ’little’ Grimsby!

I wrote a free article on this the other year here. Worth checking out for the facts if any Reds try to say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.