FA Cup R5 | Bristol City (A) | Tue 28 Feb 20:00 | - Pre Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great club and great city, used to watch them regularly when at uni down there from 89-93, which coincided with a memorable few years for the club
A titanic battle between city and rovers for the old third division title led to some mental derby games, pitch invasions, the lot
A decent gas side led by Gary Penrice’s goals pipped the robins to the title but both ended up being promoted, a great year for the entire city
City were much better than rovers once promoted. The Polish international Dariusz ‘Jackie’ Dziekanowski came in from Celtic and became an instant maverick cult hero. He was teamed up with a young lad who couldn’t make the breakthrough at Arsenal, name of Andy Cole. That partnership remains legendary there to this day.
They were definitely a fun team to go and watch when I couldn’t afford the trip home to watch the real City
Remember particularly memorable games around that time v Leicester, when Jackie was unplayable, and knocking Chelsea out of the cup at Ashton Gate
Pretty sure The Goat and Andy Cole were both top scorers for a season at both clubs
Andy May also played about 100 games there
And of course Gerry Gow, one of three quite frankly odd looking Scotsmen signed by John Bond (along with Tommy Hutchison and Bobby McDonald from Coventry) who were cheap gambles but proved to be utterly transformative, and instant cult heroes. Took us from relegation certainties to Wembley
Only 25 competitive games in our long respective histories is quite a mad statistic. You lot are 10-9 up btw

F396075A-5B3A-4E7D-8F14-858DB7B70D31.jpeg10E46C3D-8CD2-4852-8F6A-316B65CE3B35.jpeg

Gary Penrice went back to them when we had them in 1998-99, I know it is the other club, he was a rising star a decade earlier when they played their home games in Bath, there was a feature on him and City on the same show, not sure if Saint and Greavsie or what the BBC had, but I videoed it and I think it was just after. Probably a prelude to the FA Cup QF v Liverpool in 88.

Been to Ashton Gate once.
Pre-season friendly 99/2000.
Made tastier because Tony Pulis had just left Gillingham to go to Bristol City.
The City fans chant was "2 nil up and fucked it up, do dah, do dah..."

Just had to check as couldn't recall the score and apparently we lost 1-0.
Pulis didn't last long and was sacked a few months later.

You are correct with your season BBS. We went toe to toe with the red dippers for the Division One title that season and ultimately lost out by a single point.
We lost to Utd home and away and lost to Liverpool away and drew with them at home 1-1,a Dave Watson home goal I seem to remember.
The last great City team until the last 12 years in my opinion.

Edit.
I forgot that we got beat by Derby County 4-0 at the Baseball Ground.
The sheep shagging twats.
That was one of those days where " The Bitterest Pill I Ever Had To Swallow" was the best phrase to describe my emotions and feelings.
The 2-1 away defeat to Ipswich too when we had goal disallowed for offside.

The 2-1 away defeat to Ipswich too when we had goal disallowed for offside.
I don't remember that particular game to be honest.
I was at all 5 of the games I mentioned in my post,so they are all vividly ingrained in my memory, I can remember some individual things about each game,even though they are almost 50 years ago now.

I don't remember that particular game to be honest.
I was at all 5 of the games I mentioned in my post,so they are all vividly ingrained in my memory, I can remember some individual things about each game,even though they are almost 50 years ago now.
The Watson own goal was a killer. They’d never play on that type of surface these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.