FA Cup set for several changes

The fixture schedule is going to be fucked with the expanded CL, that's why this is happening. I don't see the League Cup surviving much longer in It's current format. I'd give it 5 years tops, because It's not a big money earner for the top clubs, who would rather play European games, in an even more expanded CL, down the line.
Yeah, I don't think it'll be around much longer either. It would be nice if we could win it two more times than Liverpool between now and when it's scrapped so that at least we'll always hold the record for most wins.

In fact the only one I might slightly quibble with is the increased PL to EPL payments of the final point; just because the PL has a decent income (and decent outgoings too tbf) doesn’t mean they should be using that to bail out shoddily run outfits lower down the football pyramid who spend beyond their means. If they go bust they they’ll just have to come back lower down the pyramid; if it was my team I’d still go and support them etc.
The PL aren't doing that as a charity. They need votes in order to change things. EFL clubs won't vote to scrap replays without a financial replacement. It's buying votes.

The replays have to go. I'd also seed rounds 3 & 4 in order to give lower league sides an opportunity to face the big boys. I always feel sorry for a non league outfit getting to those stages then being knocked out by a league one side.

The league cup also needs a shake up. Eliminate the 2 legged semis and perhaps play the final in December.

I think abolishing replays is long overdue. I think a one-off tie actually enhances the prospect of an upset, which is in the best commercial interests of the competition. Midweek games in the early rounds I can live with. Replays were, after all, in practical terms always played midweek so Saturday 3pm kick-offs in the FA Cup are hardly a holy cow.

The FA Cup has tinkered with its format throughout its history. You used to get replays for the final and semi - and they were abolished late in the last century (iirc) and the earlier rounds used to have an infinite number of replays, which went in the ’80s (again iirc).

As a competition, it used to be as big as winning the league, but that changed from the ‘60s onwards, I guess, and that decline was (very) slightly enhanced by the introduction of the League Cup (once Hardaker’s folly stage was passed, by the ‘70s) and the growth of the prominence of European football dominated (later that decade and up to Heysel) progressed its relative decline further.

It’s still a hugely important competition, but not as important as it once was, but those bemoaning its decline sometimes ignore, or fail to appreciate that decline started over half a century ago, not in 1992.

The replays have to go. I'd also seed rounds 3 & 4 in order to give lower league sides an opportunity to face the big boys. I always feel sorry for a non league outfit getting to those stages then being knocked out by a league one side.

The league cup also needs a shake up. Eliminate the 2 legged semis and perhaps play the final in December.
I wouldn’t mind if income from the cup was shared amongst all participants a la Champions league. Thus a rising size of prize from qualifying for Round 1 to winning the final. That way smaller clubs share would not be a lottery of the draw.

The PL aren't doing that as a charity. They need votes in order to change things. EFL clubs won't vote to scrap replays without a financial replacement. It's buying votes.
That's true but these days plenty of EFL clubs don't take the FA Cup seriously by playing weaker teams. I think the FA Cup could be marketed better abroad. It is a fantastic competition. I am sure the viewing figures for the recent Derby Cup Final were huge across the world. The FA is a stagnant organisation (even worse than the PL if that's possible). English football overall at all levels is booming like never before with huge crowds for non-league matches. The EFL and the FA need to use that momentum.

I can remember in the early 70’s watching the FA Cup Final coverage on tv, it started about 9am, was in the teams Hotels, interviewing managers, players the lot .. I can remember being at Villa Park, behind the goal when Paul Power curled that free kick in to get us to the 81 Cup Final … Amazing excitement and happiness, I could have fuckin burst that day, knowing City were back at Wembley in the biggest cup competition of them all …

The competition is being stripped of its heritage year on year, it’s the oldest and best cup competition on the planet but the cunts couldn’t leave it alone could they.. Very disappointing, it won’t be long before there is only the PL & CL for top teams and the cups will be for the teams in the championship and below …

Some won’t be bothered and fair enough that’s up to them but this competition has been the backbone of the English game since the year dot…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.