FA Cup set for several changes

Unless I'm missing something, how would the FA Cup final being on the penultimate PL weekend work?
For City this season, that would have meant postponement of the Chelsea game. But we already had a game against Brighton in mid week. So when would we play Chelsea?
The rags would have been similarly impacted.
I'm not sure how this helps sell the game.
Probably would have to play 4 games in 8 days. I am sure it's happened before.

One change i would like to see would be a rule where if two teams from different divisions are drawn to play each other then the match must take place at the home of the lower division club.

The idea of playing the cup final on the penultimate PL game week is just plain fucking dumb.
Not sure that I gave a fuck when we beat Stoke that the games was not the last of the season. Must say the tradition of 3pm on the last Saturday is worth preserving but as numerous posters have pointed out the importance of this competition has been declining for generations now and is unlikely to be reversed.

Unfortunately if you want the FA Cup to be popular again then it needs to have a prize of £30m+ for the winner.

I'm pretty sure if the CL had poor revenue streams and the FA Cup didn't (I know but lets pretend) then clubs would rather play in England rather than travelling to the arse end of Baku for a game of football.

But money talks and the CL pays very well.

In saying that I think changes could be made and not just to suit the big teams. An example in the 2021-22 season we drew Plymouth at home in the 1st Round, both teams were pushing for the playoffs and needed the game out of the way. As you can imagine the worst happened and we drew 0-0, which meant we had to go back to Home Park 10 days later for a replay.

It was a game nobody wanted and if given the choice the clubs would have agreed to finish the game that day, so if both teams agreed pre-game and the option was no replay but penalties to get a result I'm sure a lot would.

If say a Rochdale manage to draw with a big club at home and have the chance of a replay, then absolutely it should be available too.

Having the FA Cup final on a Saturday with the possible PL games on the Sunday is a good idea if it means the final kicks-off at 3 o'clock. - This assumes the EFL is finished by that weekend or they all start at other times.

They ignore the one change that could reinvigorate the competition. Move the semi’s to a neutral ground - the buzz that weekend for any team involved would be off the scale (imagine travelling to Newcastle to play United or to Villa to play the scousers). The magic of the final would them come back for the teams that qualify instead of the overkill we have today.

They ignore the one change that could reinvigorate the competition. Move the semi’s to a neutral ground - the buzz that weekend for any team involved would be off the scale (imagine travelling to Newcastle to play United or to Villa to play the scousers). The magic of the final would them come back for the teams that qualify instead of the overkill we have today.

I highly doubt that’s true for anyone but City fans, if I had to guess. Possibly some local Liverpool and United fans. But they’ve that many out of towners that they’re probably in the minority.

I’d be sure the big London clubs prefer it the way it is, for the extra seats.

And everybody else gets to the semi that rarely that they probably like the day out at Wembley because they know they’re more than likely going to lose anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.