FA Cup SF | Liverpool | Sat 16 Apr 15:30 | Travel, Ticket & Pub Discussion

As with a lot of debates on Blue Moon it’s clear that there are generational differences here. The oldies are still harking back to a bygone era where semis were played at Villa park or Hillsborough and using cost and travel issues as an excuse for not travelling to Wembley to support the team.

The furore over trains is silly - a very small proportion of fans travel down by train anyway. Those bleating about cost are being disingenuous, my Madrid ticket was £55 - I can get to Wembley and back and watch the semi for less than that. Those moaning about the “nightmare” of travelling to London by coach need to get a grip - 4 or 5 hrs sat down chatting to your mates on your way to a big day out while someone else does the driving is fun.

The opportunity for younger, more enthusiastic and passionate fans to travel down should do wonders for our end at Wembley which on the odd occasion has offered underwhelming backing for the team.

As with a lot of debates on Blue Moon it’s clear that there are generational differences here. The oldies are still harking back to a bygone era where semis were played at Villa park or Hillsborough and using cost and travel issues as an excuse for not travelling to Wembley to support the team.

The furore over trains is silly - a very small proportion of fans travel down by train anyway. Those bleating about cost are being disingenuous, my Madrid ticket was £55 - I can get to Wembley and back and watch the semi for less than that. Those moaning about the “nightmare” of travelling to London by coach need to get a grip - 4 or 5 hrs sat down chatting to your mates on your way to a big day out while someone else does the driving is fun.

The opportunity for younger, more enthusiastic and passionate fans to travel down should do wonders for our end at Wembley which on the odd occasion has offered underwhelming backing for the team.
Agree with a lot of your post but I fear that your 5 hours on a coach may turn out to be 8 or more hours mate ! When you go by coach and come of the M1 onto the North Circular, roughly, 3 miles from Wembley if only one team from the North is using the motorway it takes we'll over an hour to get to the stadium. Can you imagine the amount of traffic with no trains running that will be using the motorway !! Also if there's any accidents or hold ups on route the whole M1 or M6 will be car park, its Bank Holiday weekend as well. I actually think there's a fair chance the stadium could be half empty at kick off !

No it’s not.

I’d need 4 tickets to take the kids plus food and drink etc so your 30 quid bargain turns into north of 170 quid minimum
But if you choose to take that many what do you think it would cost ? It's a simple choice if you can afford it it's your choice to go or not ! Back it the day when semi finals were played at club grounds the prices was extortionate compared to today's prices as the FA ripped you off because grounds held less fans. 1981 semi at Villa part to stand in the Holt end was more expensive pro rata than the 45 quid tickets at Wembley.

But if you choose to take that many what do you think it would cost ? It's a simple choice if you can afford it it's your choice to go or not ! Back it the day when semi finals were played at club grounds the prices was extortionate compared to today's prices as the FA ripped you off because grounds held less fans. 1981 semi at Villa part to stand in the Holt end was more expensive pro rata than the 45 quid tickets at Wembley.
Exactly my point.. I agree with you . I’m not going because it’s my choice not to due to other priorities.

Agree with a lot of your post but I fear that your 5 hours on a coach may turn out to be 8 or more hours mate ! When you go by coach and come of the M1 onto the North Circular, roughly, 3 miles from Wembley if only one team from the North is using the motorway it takes we'll over an hour to get to the stadium. Can you imagine the amount of traffic with no trains running that will be using the motorway !! Also if there's any accidents or hold ups on route the whole M1 or M6 will be car park, its Bank Holiday weekend as well. I actually think there's a fair chance the stadium could be half empty at kick off !
Don’t get me talking about traffic !! Truly it’s the bane of modern life - speed cameras, bus lanes, cycle lanes, traffic calming measures, inexplicable motorway lane closures etc etc- makes me seethe just writing about it. But some things are worth the inconvenience we have to endure to get there.

I take your point about the time issue though, I’m surprised the official coaches are leaving as late as 0830. Might take em til midday to get past Stoke on the M6 !!

I think people can choose to not go for what ever reason ,but on this occasion using expense as an excuse is not valid .if you go to the Etihad to watch city, there carnt be any complaint about a £30 ticket and free transport.
The whole debate is boiled p-ss its two weeks till the final and sold over 26k tickets, cause will sell out, for those not choosing to go others who struggle to get semi or final tickets will jump at the chance to go. My issue is with transport one hold up on the motorways and at kick off time the stadium will be half empty !

I've been to about 9 of the last 11 times we've been at Wembley, missing the semi against the Rags due a Wedding and I'm missing this semi as well.

Been to every Chariddy Shield game, even at Villa, and apart from Villa, Wembley wasn't full.

Why I am not going to this one? Two reasons. First reason...coach travel, I fucking hate it. Done 3 trips on the coaches from the blue car park and never again. 10 hours return travel on a coach to arrive 30 mins before kick off and meet back at the coach 30 mins after the end is not a trip out I ever want to do again, esp after spunking £8 a pint in Wembley. I won't drive as I like a drink on away games, it's part of the social aspect.

As soon as the Trains were out of the equation, so was I. I'll put the money saved towards a final ticket hopefully, if the trains are running.

Second reason? Bored of the FA effectively fleecing fans by making 2 NW teams travel down to London for a semi. I've never liked semi finals played at Wembley and every year I wish some clubs would develop the balls to tell the FA to get the semi's moved.

Hope that explains to the recent raft of posters who seem to think that unless you attend every Wembley appearance you somehow are less of a fan. I wonder if those posters are there on a cold Weds night supporting City in the early stages of the Champs League, or League Cup, as I am, being on all cup schemes.

The great news is that City fans at all points levels and Citizens members will be able to get to Wembley, so a whole new generation of fans, who do not often get the chance can see the Blues rip the Dippers apart (again).

Have a great day/weekend blues.
Good post. I am sat here this morning, reading all the posts trying to shame fans who are not going and I am left shaking my head.
As soon as the draw was made and I learnt we were playing the dippers I was having second thoughts. I did the rag semi final carnage and fear the same. Then I realised it was Easter and remembered the FA don't give 2 fucks about us.
According to some I am not a true/genuine supporter, oh well.

I think people can choose to not go for what ever reason ,but on this occasion using expense as an excuse is not valid .if you go to the Etihad to watch city, there carnt be any complaint about a £30 ticket and free transport.

What if people have bought two tickets for Atletico and Liverpool at home in the same week?

That's £200 and, arguably, a crazy amount already when the cost of living is only getting worse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.