FA Watch

Project said:
City Raider said:
I've now had it explained to me this way, see if it makes sense to you guys...(bear with me)

Basically the confusion is because the ref's watch and the Sky in picture clock go out of sync.

If you imagine there is 4 minutes injury time when Bellamy scores - the ref effectively stops his watch during Bellamy's celebrations, however the Sky clock keeps running. Therefore when the ref starts his watch again at kick-off it is still showing 4 minutes to play - however the sky clock is now on 91 minutes because it kept running during the celebration.

Add the 4 minutes to 91 minutes on Sky clock, plus 30 secs for substitution - you get your 95mins and 30 seconds or so.

Owen scores, the ref stops his watch again - there is only a few seconds left to play when he re-starts.

My sense of injustice has gone, though where the original 4 minutes came from God only knows. However Monty is right, we can't get involved in that debate.

Hope it makes sense.

the ref doesn't stop his watch after a goal though. it's not a cause for pausing the time in the game. its only when he deems the celebration/stoppage excessive that time gets added on at the end.

Ok so fair enough add on the excessive time eg if normal celebrations take 25 then add 30 not 55

E-mailed the FA and queried the consistency of timekeeping, in particular:

why 4 minutes of added time were awarded in the first place,

why an additional minute was added on the grounds of excessive celebrations, when 55 seconds is hardly excessive and no different to many other goals when an additional minute has not been added;

after United scored their 4th goal, why the referee did not play an additional minute when the game restarted.

Also asked them if they were investigating Chuckle Brother, the incident where Garrido got hit, conduct of Ferguson and 4th official after United's 4th, and how the fan who tried to attack Bellamy got on the pitch in the first place.

Got the following reply, which was a whitewash and didn't answer any of my points on timekeeping, but did confirm that they're looking into the other points. Won't hold my breath though.

"Thank you for your email following the Manchester Utd v Manchester City game.

In extra time the time displayed on the board is an indication of the minimum number of minutes that will be played and all stadium announcers are asked to make this clear. In this case we understand that the fourth official indicated that a minimum of 4 minutes would be added. Approximately a minute was then added on for the goal celebration and thirty seconds for a substitution. The winning goal was then scored with a few seconds of the game remaining. We hope this clarifies the extra time added on Sunday.
We are unable to comment any further regarding your further points relating to the game, as these are currently being investigated by the FA, who deal with all disciplinary matters".

kramer said:
Ok so fair enough add on the excessive time eg if normal celebrations take 25 then add 30 not 55
At last someone else has spotted the flaw in the ref's completely made-up bollocks.

neil jung said:
kramer said:
At last someone else has spotted the flaw in the ref's completely made-up bollocks.

Andy Gray was arguing with Keys yesterday on The Final Word saying to para=phase him at what point does it become excessive? and if you are adding on for one goal celebration then it has to be every celebration regardless of how long

But a point that was made this morning, it's a lot easier to add the extra time at the end rather than keeping track during the game

Just a suggestion, John Stapleton may be able to help our cause and bring it to the attention of the media.
He was going beserk on TV this morning about the added time.
I met him away at Fulham last season and he is a really great bloke and a die hard blue.
As many of you will know he attends most home games and tries to get to as many southern games as he can.
I know he is on Facebook, I'm not, and wondered whether any bluemooners who are already on Facebook would be able to send him details of this thread.
I don't know how Facebook works, so don't know if it is possible.

Bentheblue said:
Just a suggestion, John Stapleton may be able to help our cause and bring it to the attention of the media.
I met him away at Fulham last season and he is a really great bloke and a die hard blue.
As many of you will know he attends most home games and tries to get to as many southern games as he can.
I know he is on Facebook, I'm not, and wondered whether any bluemooners who are already on Facebook would be able to send him details of this thread.

PM Monty mate or Moonbeams but I will have a look too and see if I can find anything for him.

not my fault! said:
Bentheblue said:

PM Monty mate or Moonbeams but I will have a look too and see if I can find anything for him.

I think I can get hold of his email address from a poster who posts on here. If Monty wants to do this, I'll contact the poster concerned.

Has anybody actually read the premier League rulebook, specifically 'added time'

I can't find the section on the one available on the internet but the Fifa rulebook states added time can only be added for injury assesment and substitutions. I keep reading Owen's goal was within the rulebook limits, but why would it be any different to Fifa's? Anybody?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.