Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not going to buy jamie Vardy because we don't require an extra striker, we need an extra centre midfielder, and he needs to be homegrown. I don't see how he's a walking yellow card? I could be wrong here, and apologies if i am but i think Fernandinho has a higher game:card ratio and i don't think Delph's ratio is out of the norm or that he's particularly known for picking up yellows? You're entitled to your opinion on Delph, as i am mine, you obviously think he's shit and that's not going to change anytime soon and that's fair enough. My question to you then is simply, what's the alternative? If not Delph then who? Even with Pogba, we can't go into a season with 4 centre midfielders when we're starting 3 of them 3 times a week. We need somebody else, so who? and if they're not homegrown, who gets sold to accommodate them? I've seen schneiderlin mentioned, for me, he's not significantly better than Delph, he's just flavour of the month and with united rumoured to be in for him, i don't think he'd be willing to play a backup role for us anyway when he can be a starter for the rags. Swapping Willy for another HG keeper i would of agreed with 100% last season but after seeing Joe's return to form and after hearing him speak after the final whistle of the last game of the season when he singled Willy out as the main reason for his return to form i think he's worth his place in the squad if it means we get the Joe Hart of last season again.

At worst, If he turns out as poor as you think he is, he's an extra body in midfield for a season that can do a job when called upon for a relative pittance fee who we'll likely have no problem shifting for at least our money back if not for a profit, and given his homegrown status, he's not taking up a spot in the squad that could of otherwise gone to somebody else. That, to me makes him a no brainer.
No, I don't think he's shit I think he's average. Big difference and putting words in people's mouths doesn't place you above them so please don't in future.

And yes, he does have a reputation for persistently picking up yellow cards. A quick google search and you'll see an interview he gave in the Guardian in which he himself said he would have to change his ways.

If you don't see Schniederlin as a better player than Delph then we obviously differ greatly in opinion. I have already offered up reasoning and alternatives, both of which you addressed but still asked me "what are the alternatives?" So that was a bit odd.

To call Scheiderlin "flavour of the month" in comparison to Delph, to me, is very ironic.

We're not going to buy jamie Vardy because we don't require an extra striker, we need an extra centre midfielder, and he needs to be homegrown. I don't see how he's a walking yellow card? I could be wrong here, and apologies if i am but i think Fernandinho has a higher game:card ratio and i don't think Delph's ratio is out of the norm or that he's particularly known for picking up yellows? You're entitled to your opinion on Delph, as i am mine, you obviously think he's shit and that's not going to change anytime soon and that's fair enough. My question to you then is simply, what's the alternative? If not Delph then who? Even with Pogba, we can't go into a season with 4 centre midfielders when we're starting 3 of them 3 times a week. We need somebody else, so who? and if they're not homegrown, who gets sold to accommodate them? I've seen schneiderlin mentioned, for me, he's not significantly better than Delph, he's just flavour of the month and with united rumoured to be in for him, i don't think he'd be willing to play a backup role for us anyway when he can be a starter for the rags. Swapping Willy for another HG keeper i would of agreed with 100% last season but after seeing Joe's return to form and after hearing him speak after the final whistle of the last game of the season when he singled Willy out as the main reason for his return to form i think he's worth his place in the squad if it means we get the Joe Hart of last season again.

At worst, If he turns out as poor as you think he is, he's an extra body in midfield for a season that can do a job when called upon for a relative pittance fee who we'll likely have no problem shifting for at least our money back if not for a profit, and given his homegrown status, he's not taking up a spot in the squad that could of otherwise gone to somebody else. That, to me makes him a no brainer.
Do you seriously think the reason we aren't going to buy Jamie Vardy is because we don't require an extra striker? The point was clearly about that being energetic and homegrown is not enough, you need quality, which Vardy pretty clearly doesn't have and he thinks Delph doesn't have either (which I agree with)

I don't rate Delph, I think he's an incredibly average player with a high work rate, which isn't good enough to play CM for a team like us, as Milner showed pretty much every time he played in the center for us. Whenever I've seen him, he's commited more than enough fouls that would have been bookings for us, if he didn't change the way he played then he'd be in serious trouble almost every game for us.

His price would mean it wasn't much of a gamble in terms of transfer fee, as we'd probably recoup it easily enough, but it's more about having and using a player who isn't good enough. Every game he plays will be a game that should have been played by someone better. Cheap, homegrown, works hard, whats the harm? That seems to be the essence of a lot of peoples arguaments for him, but that description could be used to describe pretty much every player in the lower leagues.

Obviously some people might rate him and think he is good enough, that's football, it's about opinions. But I'm with pudge on this one, I don't think he's good enough, so I don't care about the transfer price, I'm more bothered about the price we pay on the pitch.

No, I don't think he's shit I think he's average. Big difference and putting words in people's mouths doesn't place you above them so please don't in future.

And yes, he does have a reputation for persistently picking up yellow cards. A quick google search and you'll see an interview he gave in the Guardian in which he himself said he would have to change his ways.

If you don't see Schniederlin as a better player than Delph then we obviously differ greatly in opinion. I have already offered up reasoning and alternatives, both of which you addressed but still asked me "what are the alternatives?" So that was a bit odd.

To call Scheiderlin "flavour of the month" in comparison to Delph, to me, is very ironic.

I'm only jumping in on two small fractions of this debate, but didn't Delph receive only one yellow card last season (and one red)? And Schneiderlin is certainly the better player for me, but isn't he looking for a team where he makes an immediate impact on the starting 11? By most accounts it seems that Delph is prepped for a squad role & Milner's minutes at best. You can call that what you want (lack of ambition?) but it bodes well for squad harmony that he knows what to expect, as opposed to assuring someone like Schneiderlin what we can't honestly deliver.

Doesn't make sense to me this one, at all.

It'll ruin his England chances, and we'll be slaughtered for ruining another promising English player by the gutter press. Held up as an example by those who wish to deter the genuinely promising English youngsters from joining us in future.

He'll be the next Sinclair. Nowhere near the quality to play regularly, just another English lad to make up the numbers and collect his wages.

Do not get it, at all. Even if we do get him for the 'small' sum of £8m.

I'm only jumping in on two small fractions of this debate, but didn't Delph receive only one yellow card last season (and one red)? And Schneiderlin is certainly the better player for me, but isn't he looking for a team where he makes an immediate impact on the starting 11? By most accounts it seems that Delph is prepped for a squad role & Milner's minutes at best. You can call that what you want (lack of ambition?) but it bodes well for squad harmony that he knows what to expect, as opposed to assuring someone like Schneiderlin what we can't honestly deliver.
He'd probably want the same assurances as Bony was given, or even Sagna, who were starters at thier previous clubs but not better than some of our players in their position.

Whereas I believe Delph to not be an upgrade on even Fernando, Schniederlin is, and if we're able to convince the likes of Bony to give up a starring role at his club to play second fiddle to Aguero I imagine we could do the same to someone like Schniederlin; who imo would have less competition to beat out than Delph.

He'd probably want the same assurances as Bony was given, or even Sagna, who were starters at thier previous clubs but not better than some of our players in their position.

Whereas I believe Delph to not be an upgrade on even Fernando, Schniederlin is, and if we're able to convince the likes of Bony to give up a starring role at his club to play second fiddle to Aguero I imagine we could do the same to someone like Schniederlin; who imo would have less competition to beat out than Delph.

Beg to differ on that. I rate Schneiderlin highly as well, but I think he's going somewhere like Man U., Arsenal, or Spurs where he walks into the starting 11. I'd have him start for us, and would love to be in for him, but I think he's looking for different assurances than Sagna received.

Also, for what it's worth, I think Schneiderlin would need Fernandinho or Pogba in the same sense that he needed a Wanyama-type at Southampton. Schneiderlin coupled with Yaya in a midfield two would result in a lot of the same shadow-chasing that we got from Fernando.

I don't know where this thing has come from whereby anybody with a differing opinion automatically thinks they're above the person that doesn't agree with them. I didn't suggest that and i don't know why you'd assume that? I didn't call your opinion wrong, it's just different to mine, which is fine. Fair enough on the wording bit, i wasn't trying to put words into your mouth i just got it wrong, my mistake.

That Interview was over 2 years ago. He's changed his game since then, he gets far fewer yellow cards and has the discipline to not get himself sent off once he has a yellow. According to the premier league website he's received 22 yellows and 1 red in 112 games. That's an average of less than 1 booking every 5 games, for a midfielder of his type who's game is mainly about harassing the opponent and winning the ball back, that's pretty decent in my eyes.

I was replying to your quote and then spotted you had replied to somebody else with a relevant post, admittedly i should of edited my post instead of just sticking that on the end but i deemed it too much effort, it's warm and i'm hungover.

As for Schneiderlin, I didn't say he wasn't better than Delph, just that he wasn't significantly better. That's to say, i don't think Schneiderlin would make it into our best 11 assuming we get Pogba, and as i said, he's got the option to be a regular starter for the rags so i just don't see him as a viable option. I think Delph is the best we could get to fill the role he's being bought to fill.

Doesn't make sense to me this one, at all.

It'll ruin his England chances, and we'll be slaughtered for ruining another promising English player by the gutter press. Held up as an example by those who wish to deter the genuinely promising English youngsters from joining us in future.

He'll be the next Sinclair. Nowhere near the quality to play regularly, just another English lad to make up the numbers and collect his wages.

Do not get it, at all. Even if we do get him for the 'small' sum of £8m.

He may well do but at some point one of these players has to buck this trend.

We make all of these signings (rodwell, sinclair etc) because we have to fulfill a quota, but also in the hope that they will work hard and improve and make it impossible for the manager to leave them out.

Its not happened yet but these individuals need to show the work ethic and desire to build on their existing skills set and show that they can cut it with the standard of players that are in our starting eleven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.