Facebook crack down on fake news campaign targeting City

I accept that newspapers may sometimes make a mistake 'yesterday we referred to the sex pest as Piers Morgan when of course we meant Peter Morgan'. That is a mistake and required a simple correction. This about Milner was a blatant lie. First, the reporter wrote his entire article before a ball had been kicked, second he decided to put a total, disgraceful lie into that story, don't forget this was a charity match so carried more weight on the so called booing. To my mind that does not need a correction, it deserves a full blown back page apology, a fine for the a paper and a punishment for the reporter.
If they are allowed to get away with lies how can we trust a paper ? If Milner had played it would have been very hard to prove the story was false and that it had been written before the match. If a paper does that for football what does it do for politics.

Anyway I am off to buy a cup of coffee.

I agree.

I wonder where Qatar got the idea from:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/uae-propaganda

Posted on October 3, 2019, at 10:03 p.m. ET

“A BuzzFeed News investigation uncovered a network of websites and accounts using Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other social platforms to sow propaganda targeting Iran and Qatar. The accounts, which have now been taken down, appear to have been professionally run by PR firms based in the Middle East and Africa.

In August, Facebook announced the removal of more than 350 pages and accounts it said were engaged in coordinated inauthentic activity and operated by marketing firms in Egypt and the UAE. Now, after being contacted by BuzzFeed News about another network of pages, accounts, and websites connected to those it had previously removed, Facebook has announced additional takedowns, saying the accounts removed in August were, in fact, part of larger operations run by PR firms in UAE”

All sides should grow the fuck up and stop dicking around on social media.

This is from a year earlier than the above article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45372272

“For example, the Saudi-based account @m6mp3, which identifies itself as a media platform seeking to expose Qatar's "support for terrorism and corruption", has over 41,000 followers. After the BBC examined 1,000 random followers of the account, it was discovered that around 350 of them had never posted a tweet, nor have profile pictures.

Similarly, anti-Doha @qatarileaks, has over 55,000 followers, but a sample of 1,000 followers showed 23% were inactive.

Similar activity has also been noted on pro-Qatar accounts.”

Another from the BBC, this time 2019s

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49197576

Both sides have been apparently doing it for since 2017.

Last edited:
And this from April this year, over 7,000 fake pro-Saudi/UAE/Egypt accounts removed by Twitter that were attacking Qatar:

https://theunionjournal.com/twitter...o-saudi-arabia-egypt-uae-middle-east-monitor/

“Twitter yesterday eliminated 7,800 fake accounts linked to the governments of Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the UAE for violating its insurance policies and being a “targeted attempt to undermine the public conversation”.

The firm defined that 5,350 accounts acquired instructions from governments “amplifying content praising Saudi leadership, and critical of Qatar and Turkish activity in Yemen”.

Annoying when they go after our football club though.

Qatari propaganda ministry in full swing.
Any of the above untrue?

Hate a bit of balance do you?

Too much to agree that both sides are acting like dicks? Do you prefer to just claim “your” side is squeaky clean and the other side plays dirty?

Any of the above untrue?

Hate a bit of balance do you?

Don't know, don't care, I just don't give a shit about Middle Eastern squabbles. If Qatar, Saudi and UAE want to squabble like 12 year olds over politics and a book that's up to them. I'm only arsed in the context of people who attack my club and will happily have our owners, whatever side they're on, do whatever they need to do in retaliation for the benefit of the club. If Qatar wants to come after the club, then they're fair game as far as I'm concerned regardless of provocation outside of the remit of the club.

It's a thread about co-ordinated attacks on City so I don't see the relevance of external provocations on the perpetrators. 2 wrongs don't make a right and as a City fan, on a City forum in a City thread, the impact on our club is more important than countries I'm not involved in.

I appreciate you have a view and a perspective given you surroundings in life, but from City's point of view it's the wrong side.

Don't know, don't care, I just don't give a shit about Middle Eastern squabbles. If Qatar, Saudi and UAE want to squabble like 12 year olds over politics and a book that's up to them. I'm only arsed in the context of people who attack my club and will happily have our owners, whatever side they're on, do whatever they need to do in retaliation for the benefit of the club. If Qatar wants to come after the club, then they're fair game as far as I'm concerned regardless of provocation outside of the remit of the club.

It's a thread about co-ordinated attacks on City so I don't see the relevance of external provocations on the perpetrators. 2 wrongs don't make a right and as a City fan, on a City forum in a City thread, the impact on our club is more important than countries I'm not involved in.

I appreciate you have a view and a perspective given you surroundings in life, but from City's point of view it's the wrong side.
Couple of points to that:

1) You referred to me as an agent of Qatari propaganda, that suggests I’m knowingly lying to the forum. I’m patently not. I’m simply giving a background to the current situation. So you can get fucked for that dig.

2) You say you’re happy for our owners to retaliate, that’s exactly what Qatar is doing although Qatar attacked a football club (yeah I how it hurts us all) whereas KSA/UAE tried to ferment internal revolution and KSA had its tanks sat at the border. In terms of seriousness, they’re not even close.

3) As you’d see if you didn’t just try and view the situation as a football game, both sides are acting like dicks. People claiming moral high ground for UAE and treating Qatar as villains should understand that they’re both as bad as each other and the UAE have being doing similar for at least 3 or 4 years. There is no “right side”, a grown up can think “get fucked Qatar and leave City alone” whilst acknowledging that the UAE are no angels.

It’s not nice when City are collateral damage to their online games between nation states but it makes little difference to us materially.

Last edited:
Couple of points to that:

1) You referred to me as an agent of Qatari propaganda, that suggests I’m knowingly lying to the forum. I’m patently not. I’m simply giving a background to the current situation. So you can get fucked for that dig.

2) You say you’re happy for our owners to retaliate, that’s exactly what Qatar is doing although Qatar attacked a football club (yeah I how it hurts us all) whereas KSA/UAE tried to ferment internal revolution and KSA had its tanks sat at the border. In terms of seriousness, they’re not even close.

3) As you’d see if you didn’t just try and view the situation as a football game, both sides are acting like dicks. People claiming moral high ground for UAE and treating Qatar as villains should understand that they’re both as bad as each other and the UAE have being doing similar for at least 3 or 4 years. There is no “right side”, a grown up can think “get fucked Qatar and leave City alone” whilst acknowledging that the UAE are no angels.

It’s not nice when City are collateral damage to their online games between nation states but it makes little difference to us materially.

1. It was tongue in cheek. Get a grip.

2. Like I said, to me personally the club is more important. As I said, I appreciate you have a different perspective but over here it's boring and tedious and yes they should all behave, but I want the best for my club as that's a bigger part of my life than these countries.

3. None of them are angels by definition of what they believe in. That's elementary. However, if they want to squabble and Qatar want to bring the club in then they can get fucked, and I don't care about the rest as it's not relevant to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.