Factual Old-school City Myths that are untrue

The OP missed out the best bit of the Martyn Margetson story - he was subbed at half time and left the ground in tears.

Some others

Ian Bishop shagging Trevor Morley,someones wife catching them and stabbing one of them. Bit before my time that one.

Steve Coppell having aids - some people were even calling aids clinics in New York asking for a Mr Coppell to fish him out!

The OP missed out the best bit of the Martyn Margetson story - he was subbed at half time and left the ground in tears.

Some others

Ian Bishop shagging Trevor Morley,someones wife catching them and stabbing one of them. Bit before my time that one.

Steve Coppell having aids - some people were even calling aids clinics in New York asking for a Mr Coppell to fish him out!
But Morely was stabbed by his wife........

Before our recent successes, I remember one popular story that the last time we were top of the top flight over Christmas we went on to get relegated. Not true. The season we went top over the festive period was 1981-82 yet we were relegated in 82-83. We were top after 3 games of that relegation season but not at Christmas!

As for Tracey, I have seen the footage not so long ago - he stopped 4 of the five goals at the first attempt and was beaten on the rebound.... where was the defence to help him out? I feel it is a harsh to blame him alone.

I think he could maybe have done better for a couple of the goals, but the defending is absolutely shambolic, as it tended to be that season without Keith Curle. I remember there being a stat that season that I quoted in a piece for a fanzine: Curle played 31 matches in that campaign and we conceded 37 goals (1.19 per game) and in the 11 fixtures he missed, we shipped 28 goals (2.55 per game). Now, that may be skewed slightly by the fact that the games he missed may have been harder, but even so, it's such a large discrepancy that it's hard to ascribe it purely to coincidence.

Before our recent successes, I remember one popular story that the last time we were top of the top flight over Christmas we went on to get relegated. Not true. The season we went top over the festive period was 1981-82 yet we were relegated in 82-83. We were top after 3 games of that relegation season but not at Christmas!

We were second in November, as well. After beating Norwich in mid-January, we were 8th and we drew the next two games (away to Villa and home to Spurs, coming from 2-0 down), after which we'd dropped to 10th. The collapse from there was shocking, to be honest (we won 3, drew 1 and lost 11 of the final 15 fixtures, scoring 11 goals and conceding 30), but not quite to the level that the myth suggests.

My myth - slightly more subjective - would be that Peter Swales had City's best interests at heart (his put his own personal ambitions decisively ahead of the good of the club, IMO).

City relegated the rags in 74 with Denis's backheel!

Ah, but it's a bit more complex than that, which is why it's debated. Mathematically it didn't matter in the end. However, at the time of the goal and the 1st pitch invasion it wasn't known that Utd were down. They still had hope. Admittedly they needed results elsewhere to go their way, but it was like many of our own last day of the season successes/failures. Until all games were complete it was still in the balance. We all know how the 2012 title went to recognise that no game - or season - is over until the last whistle is blown.

After the goal the pitch was cleared and the game recommenced but, fearing the worst, United fans invaded the pitch for a second time. The ref took the players off and waited in the dressing room. Only when it was clear that Utd were definitely down did he abandon the game. Had results elsewhere suggested Utd still had a chance of survival then he would have either brought the players out again to finish the match, or it would have been replayed.

So, at the time Law scored United were still not relegated, but by the time the game was abandoned after the 2nd pitch invasion then they were. Law's goal didn't mathematically change Utd's destiny, but to all those present on the day it did. If we think back to our own relegations, were we relegated because of our own failings/opposition beating/drawing with us, or were we down because results elsewhere went against us? We tend to think of our own failings/successes of our final day opponents, not what's happened in Coventry or elsewhere.

Another on - Big Mal's clear-out in 1979 - I keep seeing people claiming he sold the likes of Mike Doyle and Dennis Tueart who had left long before he came back. Also - presumably some of the players (eg Dave Watson) were moving on at their own choice for extra wonga anyway or had been on the transfer list for yonks anyway like Mike Channon. So - I wouldn't be surprised if his massive clear-out (i.e. the lads moved on because they clashed with him) really only related to 2-3 players who wouldn't have left anyway.

The ultimate City myth: Bert Trautmann broke his neck in the cup final.

If I remember correctly he didn't. He dislocated several vertebrae.

Another on - Big Mal's clear-out in 1979 - I keep seeing people claiming he sold the likes of Mike Doyle and Dennis Tueart who had left long before he came back. Also - presumably some of the players (eg Dave Watson) were moving on at their own choice for extra wonga anyway or had been on the transfer list for yonks anyway like Mike Channon. So - I wouldn't be surprised if his massive clear-out (i.e. the lads moved on because they clashed with him) really only related to 2-3 players who wouldn't have left anyway.

Watson definitely did not want to move. Neither did Owen or Barnes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.