Fairytale of New York

It is the original lyric. End of.
Of course if you or anybody finds it 'offensive' ..... turn it off. One of my best friends was gay, loved it and sang the line out loud with pride.... Too many offended on behalf of others...

So?

The originality/artistic argument goes out of the window when the original artist endorses the change. They re-recorded it without the word, the BBC is using a version which uses a line from a live performance.

The "just turn it off" argument doesn't work. You and the other fighting for homophobic slurs to be broadcast on national radio are in the minority - you can turn it off if you're upset that's not considered acceptable language anymore, or you can just sing your homophobic slur over it.

Radio edited versions of songs with swearwords removed play every single day, so the bullshit censorship argument doesn't hold weight either.

The originality/artistic argument goes out of the window when the original artist endorses the change. They re-recorded it without the word, the BBC is using a version which uses a line from a live performance.
This is the crux of it for me. If The Pogues themselves had objected then I would perhaps understand some of the consternation, but they haven’t. And ultimately it’s their song.

As a pupil aged around 12/13, for history, I was reading a book on the story of Joan of Arc. At her burning, I remember a passage about the priests "Surrounding the maid with faggots". It always struck me as an odd thing to do, or course at that age, I had no idea that the term also applies to a bundle of sticks.

So?

The "just turn it off" argument doesn't work. You and the other fighting for homophobic slurs to be broadcast on national radio are in the minority - you can turn it off if you're upset that's not considered acceptable language anymore, or you can just sing your homophobic slur over it.

Radio edited versions of songs with swearwords removed play every single day, so the bullshit censorship argument doesn't hold weight either.
If the BBC deem the lyric to be offensive then it is banned, fair enough.
But why isn’t the same lyric offensive if it’s played on Radio 2?
It’s either offensive, in which case banned, or it’s not offensive, it which case left alone.
So which is it?

It’s either offensive, in which case banned, or it’s not offensive, it which case left alone.
So which is it?

Different directors of the stations I believe.

If we're being honest, it's because the BBC is trying to navigate a small but annoying bunch of people who feel very strongly they should be able to shout out homophobic slurs every Christmas and don't want to be told they've been possibly been offending people for years by doing so.

If you read the BBC statement -

A BBC spokesman said: "We know the song is considered a Christmas classic and we will continue to play it this year, with our radio stations choosing the version of the song most relevant for their audience."​
I would suggest the most telling part would be "this year", and that Radio 2 will standalone in its usage before probably moving on in the future.

Always loved the song but don’t care either way about the change in lyrics. I am happy that it’s upset Lawrence Fox though, the repugnant turd
Agree with this, I want the song to stay but I also like grilled gammon.

So which is it?
I’m a bit surprised that they’re not playing the same version across both stations, but I guess you can’t treat the BBC as one homogeneous entity though. They’ve always tailored stuff for different audiences.

If we're being honest, it's because the BBC is trying to navigate a small but annoying bunch of people who feel very strongly they should be able to shout out homophobic slurs every Christmas and don't want to be told they've been possibly been offending people for years by doing so.

If you read the BBC statement -

A BBC spokesman said: "We know the song is considered a Christmas classic and we will continue to play it this year, with our radio stations choosing the version of the song most relevant for their audience."​
I would suggest the most revealing part would be "this year", and that Radio 2 will standalone in its usage before probably moving on in the future.
So are the BBC labelling their Radio 2 audience as homophobic?

I’m a bit surprised that they’re not playing the same version across both stations, but I guess you can’t treat the BBC as one homogenous entity though. They’ve always tailored stuff for different audiences.
But it’s either offensive or it’s not?
The BBC is paid for by the license payers therefore it should have a more homogeneous approach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.