Fairytale of New York

Every single year.

It’s becoming a Christmas tradition.

In other news fair play to The Pogues telling Lawrence Fox to fuck off.

The fact the BBC has decided their radio 2 audience wants to hear homophobic slurs but their other radio channels don't is my evidence.

It's not conclusive proof, but it is evidence.
It’s not evidence at all as you say, and it’s also far from poor proof never mind conclusive. You’re defending a ludicrous decision by an organisation that hasn’t a clue what it should be doing.
It’s been a pleasure watching yourself tie yourself in the same knots.

Evening.

I’ve hummed and ahhed over this for the last hour or so and genuinely still don’t know where I’m at.
I will always try and be respectful of the language we use when it comes to race, sex, etc and I’m well aware of the changes that have happened over the years. Mostly for the best.
For some reason this particular subject and song has me in a quandary- I get why it’s not acceptable and why there’s a large section of society that wants it banned but for some reason, in this instance I don’t agree.
I guess I’m a hypocrite but I genuinely can’t explain it.

I will definitely listen to the original, because it's the version on the Christmas compilation LP I listen to while I wrap my presents every year. I completely agree with Shane McGowan's reasoning for using it, and it does fit the characters and the time period.

But I also think people should be allowed to listen to publicly funded radio without hearing slurs and language that are offensive to them.

I listen to a lot of 90's hip hop, but I understand why people don't want to hear the N word 30 times Tupac's All Eyez on me, or hear the uncensored version of WAP while eating their cereal.

If the entire song was deemed offensive then perhaps it’d be an easier solution for the BBC. But it’s one word in one line that is contentious, and the band themselves seemingly have no issue with the edited version being played, so I don’t really get the issue. People who want to hear the original, unedited version can do so on endless platforms if they wish.
I believe that two words were an issue, although only seems to be concentrating the mind in here tonight.
You’re moving away from my point though. You’re trying to make out I’m against banning it, I’ve said nothing of the sort.
My point is one of confusion. It’s either offensive, in which case it should be banned, or it’s not in which case it should be played.
Which is it?

I’ve hummed and ahhed over this for the last hour or so and genuinely still don’t know where I’m at.
I will always try and be respectful of the language we use when it comes to race, sex, etc and I’m well aware of the changes that have happened over the years. Mostly for the best.
For some reason this particular subject and song has me in a quandary- I get why it’s not acceptable and why there’s a large section of society that wants it banned but for some reason, in this instance I don’t agree.
I guess I’m a hypocrite but I genuinely can’t explain it.
I don’t think that’s a particularly unreasonable viewpoint tbh.

This is the crux of it for me. If The Pogues themselves had objected then I would perhaps understand some of the consternation, but they haven’t. And ultimately it’s their song.

I have a feeling that if they did care or had said nothing everyone's view would have been pretty much the same. Would love to know how many people actually complained about it.
Most people including the gay community probably don't even care or ever gave it much thought.

I believe that two words were an issue, although only seems to be concentrating the mind in here tonight.
You’re moving away from my point though. You’re trying to make out I’m against banning it, I’ve said nothing of the sort.
My point is one of confusion. It’s either offensive, in which case it should be banned, or it’s not in which case it should be played.
Which is it?

You know why it is, I explained the very first time you asked.

They're trying to transition from 1 to the other gradually to make it less contentious.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.