'Fans' giving blues a bad name

markbmcfc said:
I can imagine this being a controversial point, but its something I'd like to see discussed.

Every club has its share of fans who are, well, tossers of the highest order. However I dont care about other fans but I do our own and the image they portray to the general public.

Barnsley at weekend, a couple of examples. On the train coming over, bout 10am, there was a group of 5 or 6 young lads and lasses having a sing song. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. They were knocking back the strongbow's, which I wouldnt do at that time on a train but, thats just me. As the journey got on they got a bit more rowdy, started singing M***ch songs, and the Ryan giggs song a few times. They were quite a few elderly people in close proximately who visibly looked distressed and intimidated by the loud singing, language and them being drunk. The conductor came over and asked them to be quite and to stop drinking, but offered not to confiscate the booze. She (the conductor) got a fair bit of abuse, totally uncalled for.

It got to the point that the elderly people around got up and moved to a different carriage. A few stops later we all got off.

At the match, had a guy sat behind me, who wasnt there in the first half. Absolutely teared into the players, effing like mad about how shit they are. Spouting some racial stuff at Adebayor about elephants and his mother, when it comes to language it doesnt bother me at all but it was every other word from him, with it being a friendly, lots of young kids about and one Dad got up and told him to shut up. Probably happens at every game, one of those things.

Train coming back, im sat next to this guy on his own wearing the maroon and white stripe City shirt from some years ago. Tries talking to me, slurring like hell, and then falls asleep for the rest of the journey. Just as we're getting off the train, some nice looking lass (total stranger) dressed up for a night out walks past with her boyfriend. He grabs her, asks her where she's going, and says, "you dont wanna be with him, grab hold of my arm and I'll show you a good night" right in front of her boyfriend. They were only about 18/19.

That was just one match, but it really pissed me off, one thing that City fans are renowned for is our humour and just good fans to be around. Personally, I think the above is our of order and if this sort of stuff happens at every away game, I dont like the affect thats having on public opinion of us.

I think there is a time and a place, and some respect to the public should be given on public transport. Especially if theres kids and elderly around. If not then fine, sing away with all your cans, i'll join in, but there should be some respect for the people in the vacinity IMO.

Am i just being a whinge bag or do others share this view?
I stopped travelling by train many years ago to watch City for exactly the same reasons. you can't get away from them.

100%manc said:
Well Im going to Afghanistan in 4 Weeks, and to be honest im shitting my self more about the 08:28 from Glasgow to Manchester.

I think/ hope it will be good banter but there is always one tosser who will try and take it too far
you should be alright as long as you dont tell them you are off to stan (i wouldnt advise wearing dpm either lol)

blueinbolton77 said:
RobbieBrewer said:
The "scuttler" gangs that inhabited the slums of Ardwick and Beswick during the early cotton era were renowned across the country as being "savages."
There are many reports of running battles through the streets with Salford boys....as you both say-not much has changed.

I'll say one thing though-Football gounds 20 years ago were far worse than today.We need to stop beating down our support over a few idiots who just happen to wear our shirt rather than some other clubs.

They don't represent me whatsoever.
But in all honesty-I'm also not such a hypocrite as to deny recognising a tiny bit of myself at times-twenty odd years ago when I didn't know any better.

Andrew Davies wrote a really good book called the Gangs of Manchester, specifically on the scuttler gangs of manchester and Salford. Though they rarely if ever, committed random acts of violence against anyone not involved in the inter area war.

I read this book whilst on holiday and really enjoyed it though it did get a bit dry at times. To say that random acts of violence were not committed against non gang members is unfortunately wrong. Though, the authority's didn't care to take any real action against the Scuttlers until 'civilians' were attacked and the rule of law was challenged.These gangs fought openly for almost 30 years starting gang membership at 11 or 12 years old and retiring in their early 20's The most interesting aspects drawn from the book for me were the fact that society's outlook for prevention of this type of crime hasn't changed in almost 150 years.The concept that continually increasing the severity of sentences will work as a deterrent to those who commit it or to stop others becoming involved in it did not work then and has to my knowledge never worked.Some of these,largely male though females were also involved, offenders received sentences up to 7 years penal servitude only to return to Manchester and commit more gang related crime or to become further involved in criminality such as theft and burglary etc.
Interestingly the act of scuttling was finally stopped because of three different things.The dire conditions in which people live in between the late 1870's to the early 1900's improved considerably. The police handed out summary justice on the streets to the extent that some Scuttlers died from these beatings. And philanthropists put their time, money and energy it to boys clubs and the like which, through the use of sports,other pastimes and trips away simply got these young people of the streets and engaged in something else. The biggest irony is that football became by far the participants favourite sport of choice because it gave them the opportunity to battle with their foes across the city though under the rules of the game and in an environment which was supervised .The reason our club was formed originally as St Mark's I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.