Fanzine Collectors (ChipsnGravy)

lovecityhateunited said:
Where did all these wonderful fanzines go??? All we have now is king of the kippax which I have never been able to get in to

We didn't have the bodies to physically shift them, especially once we moved to our present home. Leaving Maine Road didn't help matters, at least back then, people knew where the fanzine sellers could be found.

Then our regular sellers found 'beer'. Unfortunately, the pub won the day!!!<br /><br />-- Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 am --<br /><br />
Didsbury Dave said:
Impeccable said:
Didsbury Dave said:
"Chips n Gravy" was probably the edgiest City fanzine. KOTK was plodding, factual, a bit middle aged and middle of the road. CTIC and BTH were a bit more intense, although could be irreverent and opinionated. Chips N Gravy, at least when it started, was the voice of the young blue who went on the beer to away games and maybe stood his ground for a punch up.

We had such a brilliant array of fanzines in those days.

Yep, we went for the 'slapstick' sort of approach, Dave. Like you say, there was a bit of everything for folk, due to the array of publications on offer. Fond memories. Not only that, became friends with many due to its existence.

I remember your first issue, in face I remember the editorial. A story about a mouthy cockney getting covered with Chips N Gravy outside the Parkside Chippy. How's that for a memory?

Good effort!!! Indeed, that's how the title was derived.

LongsightM13 said:
He's not very popular among a certain section of blues for some reason, but I thought Bill Borrows' Blueprint was the best of the lot

Always felt Electric Blue was the best before the name change, also Sing the Blues and another I think called Main Stand View?

Then came T'internet.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
LongsightM13 said:
He's not very popular among a certain section of blues for some reason, but I thought Bill Borrows' Blueprint was the best of the lot

Always felt Electric Blue was the best before the name change, also Sing the Blues and another I think called Main Stand View?

Then came T'internet.

I remember both Singing The Blues and Main Stand View. Both came and went fairly quickly, I think. Electric Blue became BTH of course.

Interestingly, I think all the editors of all the fanzines are extremely active on this forum. Except the only survivor KOTK, to my knowledge. I suppose it isn't surprising, really.

The infamous Fanzine Wars were reignited on this very forum about two years ago. It was very entertaining.

I used to work with Steve in Trafford Park, one of the original crew that started Chips and Gravy. Sure he was from up towards Oldham way. Liked all the fanzines for their different views and sense of humour.

I also remember 'This Charming Fan', too. Its editor had previously written for Blueprint, IIRC, and he's certainly active on here now.

I think the chap who did Main Stand View is on here too. I remember one of the fanzines did a review of the whole City fanzine scene (a very fair one, too) and characterised MSV as attemptong to "out-sensible the competition", which fits with my memory of it.

IMO, the range we had in our fanzines was very impressive.

Didsbury Dave said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
LongsightM13 said:

Then came T'internet.

I remember both Singing The Blues and Main Stand View. Both came and went fairly quickly, I think. Electric Blue became BTH of course.

Interestingly, I think all the editors of all the fanzines are extremely active on this forum. Except the only survivor KOTK, to my knowledge. I suppose it isn't surprising, really.

The infamous Fanzine Wars were reignited on this very forum about two years ago. It was very entertaining.

I remember that - it was very humorous. Incidentally, it was Mike Holden, the editor of Singing The Blues, who approached me regarding the launch of Chips. We had become close friends and he asked what I thought of doing the design side of things. Obviously, I decided to work with him and the rest is history.

He's still a very close friend, although only get to seem him a few times a year now, due to him and his lovely wife moving to Valencia. Lucky sods!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.