Fanzine Collectors (ChipsnGravy)

tolmie's hairdoo said:
LongsightM13 said:
He's not very popular among a certain section of blues for some reason, but I thought Bill Borrows' Blueprint was the best of the lot

Always felt Electric Blue was the best before the name change, also Sing the Blues and another I think called Main Stand View?

Then came T'internet.

Used to like MSV back in the day... especially as I was one of the 'noisy' lads in A Block...

Dante's angry publication was OK at first... 'The Fightback'

levets said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
LongsightM13 said:
He's not very popular among a certain section of blues for some reason, but I thought Bill Borrows' Blueprint was the best of the lot

Always felt Electric Blue was the best before the name change, also Sing the Blues and another I think called Main Stand View?

Then came T'internet.

Used to like MSV back in the day... especially as I was one of the 'noisy' lads in A Block...

Dante's angry publication was OK at first... 'The Fightback'

Haha

I was behind you in H Left

Dante posts occasionally on here but very active on Twitter. Still a rebel ;-)

petrusha said:
I also remember 'This Charming Fan', too. Its editor had previously written for Blueprint, IIRC, and he's certainly active on here now.

Is he? I used to like This Charming Fan ;)

-- Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm --

Born to be Blue said:
What ever became of Dagenham Dan? :- )

I can tell you..... I ran out of ideas! I was the ''script writer'' for Dagenham Dan! (inspired by Morrissey's song 'Dagenham Dave')
One of Tom's mates drew the pictures.

After the first two, i sent them off to Viz, got a reply, saying it wasn't the kind of thing they were looking for, which i found strange given the shit they were putting in the magazine at the time!

hard work it was selling the fanzine.I used to do MSV but found the contributors usually went to KK,EB etc.Only managed 9 copies,mam then died and I thought best to pack it in.Good while it lasted though.Stil see Noel Bayley now.

lovecityhateunited said:
Where did all these wonderful fanzines go??? All we have now is king of the kippax which I have never been able to get in to

The world changed, or technology changed. Websites and email newsletters came out, you could say your piece on one of the many radio phone in's and now you can now set up a blog and at the click of a finger reach thousands of fans and change it daily.
There was nothing worse than standing outside the ground (in drizzle) for an hour trying to flog a 5 week old fanzine, answering the question ''when's the next one out mate?'' every 4 minutes.

Having flogged Blue Print and then This Charming Man for 7 seasons (88-95) - minus the one year when I did my round the world trip - I stopped because I then had kids and I recall having the eldest (aged 2) stood next to me (or me holding her up) for an hour behind the Gene Kelly stand corner and I just thought it's time to end it. The following game after the last one was sold, I went to the pub pre match for the first time in 7 years. I'd forgotten what a joy it was!
I then walked past the fanzine sellers in the pissing rain and knew straight away I'd done the right thing!
I think that's why so many were short lived, the rush of excitement at the beginning soon wears down arriving 90 / 60 mins before the game, selling at half time and then 20 mins after the game.... I'm not sure many people realise how much doing a fanzine took over your life.
I remember talking to one seller at Blue Print, who would leave a few mins early at the end of the game so he wouldn't miss anyone! He missed lots of last minute goals. I told him that City comes first, then the fanzine, not the other way round.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
LongsightM13 said:

And has done very well for himself since, now doing Talk Sport's online stuff.
Wrote a fair bit in men's magazines as well I think, Loaded and the like

LongsightM13 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
LongsightM13 said:

Had a column in the Mirror on Saturdays a few years back, I think, as well. Definitely a very successful media career.

petrusha said:
LongsightM13 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Had a column in the Mirror on Saturdays a few years back, I think, as well. Definitely a very successful media career.

Yes, Loaded, Mirror, Telegraph plus more.
I would laugh in that every time he was with a different publication, he'd have the same Wembley Play off final story printed in each one!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.