UK far right trouble July/August 24

It's sad that all this has prompted my wife (who is black) to start a serious discussion with me about where we choose to raise the child we're looking at having in the next few years.

To be clear, I don't want to leave the UK - not yet at least (not while City are good) - but I can totally understand why what she's seeing makes her nervous. She's a doctor in the NHS, she was a Samaritans volunteer too. This is the indirect impact of a lot of the rhetoric we're seeing, immigrants who are net contributors start to question whether they really feel welcome. And the ones who are well-educated and highly skilled also tend to have far more mobility to just leave and go somewhere else.

The issue I have with going somewhere else is that it isn't clear to me there are a lot of obviously better options out there. The UK is far from perfect, but its situation isn't unique.

I feel your family's pain brother.

It's an unfortunate reality that highly skilled minorities will eventually take their skills and expertise and move to where they feel wanted.

Suffice to say, I hope you and your family stay.

It's sad that all this has prompted my wife (who is black) to start a serious discussion with me about where we choose to raise the child we're looking at having in the next few years.

To be clear, I don't want to leave the UK - not yet at least (not while City are good) - but I can totally understand why what she's seeing makes her nervous. She's a doctor in the NHS, she was a Samaritans volunteer too. This is the indirect impact of a lot of the rhetoric we're seeing, immigrants who are net contributors start to question whether they really feel welcome. And the ones who are well-educated and highly skilled also tend to have far more mobility to just leave and go somewhere else.

The issue I have with going somewhere else is that it isn't clear to me there are a lot of obviously better options out there. The UK is far from perfect, but its situation isn't unique.
Brighton.

Don't be disheartened, mate. I've lived here all my life (mid 30s now) and I've never once felt overwhelmed by an atmosphere of intolerance and hate. It bubbles but never spills over. Good always wins, as they say. Your wife should be commended for the honourable job she does, not stigmatized, and most in our country will share that sentiment.

Don't let the (minority of) bastards grind you down, keep your chin up, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.