Favourite Comedian

Sean Lock is the best on panel shows but on stage no one beats Billy Connolly.
Remember seeing him at Salford Lowry years ago, and my good mate Pete became a front row w***er. Sean Lock left his balloon-knot in tatters. Never cringed and belly-laughed so much in my life. Sadly Pete and Sean aren't with us. Great memories remain. After the gig, Sean nattered with us outside complaining about Salford not having an old theatre venue.

Tommy Cooper at the Golden Garter was an iconic show, it's the opening sequence on the biopic of him played by David Threlfall. I didn't go (a bit like York away) but my mate and his girlfriend did, the opening stage scene apparently:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Tommy Cooper"

Spotlight on a gate (it's an old sketch from Tv), no Tommy Cooper, the audience start giggling, then laughing, then crying with laughter, Tommy nowhere on stage at this point but he had the audience from that moment on.

He did have a very dark side as well.
My favourite Tommy Cooper story I heard about was how he used to tip taxi drivers saying 'have a drink on me' and slip a teabag into their pocket.

So many people I hear rave over James Acaster and I’ve tried a couple of times to watch but I genuinely can’t see anything funny about him

He’s in the new ghostbusters so he must be doing ok

I used to quite like Jon Richardson. Went to see him once in Sheffield. He was very good.

Doesn’t seem to be around so
much these days, since he did that weird mockumentary thing his ex wife wrote.
Really? Still on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and he was on HIGNFY recently. But yeah, Cats Countdown are really inconsistent with their release schedule nowadays. So many times I think 'great, a new series' and then you get 2 episodes and it's off again.

But yeah, he's a very good stand up. I saw him live back when he was pretty new and he was fantastic. Did you ever see the American trip he did with Sean, where Sean was forcing him to tell a joke to some Americans knowing that it wouldn't work?

So many people I hear rave over James Acaster and I’ve tried a couple of times to watch but I genuinely can’t see anything funny about him

He's probably the most in demand comedian around at the moment, so obviously lots of people like him. I think he's fantastic, but I can see that he wouldn't be for everyone. You'd be hard pushed to find a fellow comedian who doesn't consider him one of the best around right now though.

Really? Still on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and he was on HIGNFY recently. But yeah, Cats Countdown are really inconsistent with their release schedule nowadays. So many times I think 'great, a new series' and then you get 2 episodes and it's off again.

But yeah, he's a very good stand up. I saw him live back when he was pretty new and he was fantastic. Did you ever see the American trip he did with Sean, where Sean was forcing him to tell a joke to some Americans knowing that it wouldn't work?
Cats does Countdown is being shelved for the time being. They’ve probably done most of what they can with the format.

My guess is that Jon Richardson will do a big tour in the next 18 months or so, once the dust has settled on his divorce and him having more free time.

CDC finishing will be more of a problem for Joe Wilkinson, who’s about as funny as the comedian that carried a plastic bag all the time. Angelos something or other.

I think he's brilliant. How he sets jokes up and talks about nothing is great. On the other end of the spectrum is Antony Jeselink.

Not been through the whole thread but be interested in what people think of Bo Burnham. I can never settle on an opinion

What I should have said really is that I’ve stopped watching the programmes he’s on rather than he’s disappeared.

I got bored with 8 out of 10 Cats years ago. And I thought the … does Countdown thing was a good idea for a one off bit off fun. Can’t actually believe they’ve dragged it out for over 10 years.

In fact apart from an occasional episode of ‘Would I Lie to You?’ which is always entertaining, I’ve not really seen any panel shows for ages now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.