Favourite first game of the season

They say that you never forget your first relegation, so for me, it's got to be Crystal Palace away in 1983...
...a game that gave us so much hope. It's got to be the most threadbare City side ever assembled...£60k spent all summer on McNab, Parlane & Tolmie. But a day in the sun at Palace, with a load of new promotion-based songs, blew all the gloom away...for a while, anyway. Won 2-0, happy days

Although we got beat 3-1 I enjoyed Spurs away in 1990. Cracking weather, spent all afternoon in pub (underage) watching England play India at cricket.
Great atmosphere, it was just after Italia 90 and Gary Lineker and Paul Gascoigne got great receptions from both sets of fans as did Niall Quinn following his exploits for Ireland. Lakey had just been made captain.
Even though we lost it was clear we had a half decent team and getting better under the Drunk Judas.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but that Swansea game in 2011 when Aguero came on as a sub is high up there for me.

Not my favourite opening game but a memorable one. Hull City away in 1988. Spent the entire game seemingly in their penalty area and managed to lose 1-0.

Although we got beat 3-1 I enjoyed Spurs away in 1990. Cracking weather, spent all afternoon in pub (underage) watching England play India at cricket.
Great atmosphere, it was just after Italia 90 and Gary Lineker and Paul Gascoigne got great receptions from both sets of fans as did Niall Quinn following his exploits for Ireland. Lakey had just been made captain.
Even though we lost it was clear we had a half decent team and getting better under the Drunk Judas.
Stole my thunder. Yeah that’s the one that really stands out for me. Italia 90 really did change the whole football landscape and as an impressionable youth it felt like an absolutely huge occasion watching superstar players from the World Cup (at a time when superstar players only played in Italy and Spain) on a boiling hot day in one of the world’s great cities.

Sadly for us both those great players turned it on 2nd half and brought the house down, I think they scored two goals in quick succession and I’ve never heard noise like it from home fans but we’d seen enough from our boys to know that it was gonna be a better season.

Can still see Lakey now (in a maroon kit i think) in my mind’s eye in this cauldron of a stadium playing against genuinely world class stars and still looking like the classiest player on the pitch.

Stole my thunder. Yeah that’s the one that really stands out for me. Italia 90 really did change the whole football landscape and as an impressionable youth it felt like an absolutely huge occasion watching superstar players from the World Cup (at a time when superstar players only played in Italy and Spain) on a boiling hot day in one of the world’s great cities.

Sadly for us both those great players turned it on 2nd half and brought the house down, I think they scored two goals in quick succession and I’ve never heard noise like it from home fans but we’d seen enough from our boys to know that it was gonna be a better season.

Can still see Lakey now (in a maroon kit i think) in my mind’s eye in this cauldron of a stadium playing against genuinely world class stars and still looking like the classiest player on the pitch.
not for their first goal tho pal......didnt Lakey do a whats unfairly known as a "Joleon" - after what our Lescott did in THAT QPR game to Cissie - and fed Lineker with a miscued header?

Curle had Lineker in his pocket that day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.