Favourite non English language film

In 1997, before the visit of the pope to Rio de Janeiro, Captain Nascimento from BOPE (Special Police Operation Battalion) is assigned to eliminate the risks of the drug dealers in a dangerous slum nearby where the pope intends to be lodged. Captain Nascimento is trying to find a man to replace him because his wife is pregnant and he intends to quit the command and become a trainer of the new recruits. Meanwhile, the two idealistic friends Neto and Matias join the Military Police force expecting to become honest policemen and fight the criminals. However, they see only corruption, lack of competence and stupid bureaucracy in the Military Police, and after a serious incident in the Morro da Babilônia, they decide to join the BOPE. The lives of Capitain Nascimento, Neto and Matias are entwined along the next months, first in the tough training period and then in action against drug dealers...

mancityvstoke said:
In 1997, before the visit of the pope to Rio de Janeiro, Captain Nascimento from BOPE (Special Police Operation Battalion) is assigned to eliminate the risks of the drug dealers in a dangerous slum nearby where the pope intends to be...........

If they can't even get an acronym right I don't hold much hope for their ability to catch drug dealers!

mancityvstoke said:
In 1997, before the visit of the pope to Rio de Janeiro, Captain Nascimento from BOPE (Special Police Operation Battalion) is assigned to eliminate the risks of the drug dealers in a dangerous slum nearby where the pope intends to be lodged. Captain Nascimento is trying to find a man to replace him because his wife is pregnant and he intends to quit the command and become a trainer of the new recruits. Meanwhile, the two idealistic friends Neto and Matias join the Military Police force expecting to become honest policemen and fight the criminals. However, they see only corruption, lack of competence and stupid bureaucracy in the Military Police, and after a serious incident in the Morro da Babilônia, they decide to join the BOPE. The lives of Capitain Nascimento, Neto and Matias are entwined along the next months, first in the tough training period and then in action against drug dealers...

When you actually watch the film, you realise it's more than about the perceived 'corruption' that is so easily used. It's a lazy word and and there are so many more important levels going on within the film. 'Corruption' is the buzz word that's easier to peddle.

'Corruption' is the undercurrent, the backbone on which the film floats. There's the social exclusion that comes with the job, the fear of not seeing the day out and the constant battle of being the honourable cop that has to do what they have to do in order not to let the Brasilian citizens get dragged into hell. But that doesn't sell as easy, does it?

So much more than 'corruption'.

Bigga said:
Ono, your summation of "Elite Squad" is off by... quite some margin.

It makes me wonder whether you watched it at all.
Well i said 3 things about it....

It's Brazilian - Correct

It's about the Brazilian police force who are portrayed as being corrupt - Correct

And it's decent - Of course that is my opinion.

No, i think i definitely watched it. Infact, i'd even go as far to say that i own a copy.

ono said:
Bigga said:
Ono, your summation of "Elite Squad" is off by... quite some margin.

It makes me wonder whether you watched it at all.

It's Brazilian - Correct

It's about the Brazilian police force who are portrayed as being corrupt - Correct

No, i think i definitely watched it. Infact, i'd even go as far to say that i own a copy.

Photo proof required - you holding dvd case one hand, a copy of todays paper in the other, the menu page of the dvd on a tv behind you and your pc/laptop showing this very page on screen. And 'ONO' written in red lipstick across your bare chest. Otherwise your claim to actually own this film can continue to be called to question.

;-)

daveduke67 said:
ono said:

It's Brazilian - Correct

Photo proof required - you holding dvd case one hand, a copy of todays paper in the other, the menu page of the dvd on a tv behind you and your pc/laptop showing this very page on screen. And 'ONO' written in red lipstick across your bare chest. Otherwise your claim to actually own this film can continue to be called to question.

;-)
Haha i might do actually. Actually i'd need 3 hands to do that. That's what i get i suppose for not previewing the film as thoroughly as i should.

Jean de Florette, and the sequel, Manon des Sources. With Yves Montand and Gerald Depardieu. Classic stories, unbelievably good acting, classic films. Never mind favourite non English films, these are on my top ten of all films along with Shawshank Redemption. It's in that mode about dealing with prejudice, injustice, and abuse of position... ending in a spectacular triumph of the human spirit. Just like I'll feel when we lift our first trophy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.