Fee agreed

GStar said:
I dont think is that unfair to say BM over rates Dzeko; the majority think he'll be the answer to all our prayers, I doubt many of us have seen much of him.

Fingers crossed they're right though.

Only post worth reading on this thread tbh.

Finch said:
Don't want him, he's over rated. You can quote his scoring record as much as you like, but until you've seen a few games of him properly, then you can't tell me how good he is. Over rated. Sh*tter.

No offence but I value Mancini's opinion more than yours and trust him 100%.

I've seen Dzeko play a handful of times by the way. He doesn't have the pace of a fully fit Torres but he has more than enough to play against Titus Bramble, Ryan Nelsen etc etc.

He doesn't have to work hard, he's being bought to put the ball in the onion bag not track back and help Kolarov out against Aaron Lennon for fuck sake.

Give you're head a fucking wobble.

Griff93 said:
Finch said:
Don't want him, he's over rated. You can quote his scoring record as much as you like, but until you've seen a few games of him properly, then you can't tell me how good he is. Over rated. Sh*tter.

No offence but I value Mancini's opinion more than yours and trust him 100%.

I've seen Dzeko play a handful of times by the way. He doesn't have the pace of a fully fit Torres but he has more than enough to play against Titus Bramble, Ryan Nelsen etc etc.

He doesn't have to work hard, he's being bought to put the ball in the onion bag not track back and help Kolarov out against Aaron Lennon for fuck sake.

Give you're head a fucking wobble.

And it's not just Mancini who wanted him, there was a few other top managers after him!

Well someone thinks we've bought quality

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/duncanwhite/100014776/what-manchester-city-can-expect-from-edin-dzeko/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/dunc ... din-dzeko/</a>

Highlight paragragh:-

What is it all these clubs have seen in Dzeko? Obviously his goal record is good – 65 goals in the last two seasons – but the statistic that is perhaps even more telling is that, in his last two seasons, Dzeko made 26 assists. So he either scored or made 91 goals in the last two seasons.

Edin Dzeko will fight for Manchester City, not with his team-mates

There is something determined in the speed with which Manchester City are trying to tie up a deal for Edin Dzeko. Roberto Mancini has revealed today that a fee has been agreed with Wolfsburg and, assuming negotiations on personal terms are swiftly resolved, he could even be in the City squad for the home game with Wolves on Jan 15. So, what kind of player will City be getting for their money?

Dzeko wants a big annual salary – 10million euros apparently – and had a clause built into his Wolfsburg deal that would give him a substantial cut of any transfer that met his buy-out clause. He will earn more at City than he would have at another club but that does not mean he has signed just for the money. He has the ambition of a late developer (in football terms; he turns 25 in March) and a background that suggests psychological strength.

Dzeko is a Bosnian Muslim and grew up in Sarajevo during the siege of the city between 1992-96. “I was six when the war started,” he said. “It was terrible. My house was destroyed so we went to live with my grandparents. The whole family was there, maybe 15 people all staying in an apartment of about 35 square metres. It was very hard. We were stressed every day in case somebody we knew died. A lot of footballers start to play kicking a ball around in the street. For me that was impossible, but when the war finished I was much stronger, mentally.”

Being a tall, gangly teenager trying to break into Bosnian football was difficult. The culture of Balkan football is for quick, one-touch passing so tall players, like Nikola Zigic and Dzeko, struggle to be taken seriously. He was called an “English” player and it wasn’t meant as a compliment. Jonathan Wilson has written that when Zeljeznicar Sarajevo, his first club, received an offer of 50,000 euros from Czech team Teplice for him, a club offical described it as “like having won the lottery”.

Dealing with the contempt of many of his coaches toughened him up and moving to a foreign country cemented his self-reliance. Czech football was more receptive to a player of Dzeko’s build. Like Jan Koller, the 6″8 Czech striker, he developed into the kind of striker who could play as an attacking fulcrum on the deck but, when needed, be lethal in the air in the box.
His approach was refined at Wolfsburg, the club he joined for 4.7million euros in 2007. In his second season the team, managed by Felix Magath, won the Bundesliga, playing a fluid, counter-attacking game.

Dzeko has excelled in the Bundesliga. He has scored 85 goals in 138 games for Wolfsburg. This is serious quality – here’s some footage of him at his best. While some thought he could not maintain his form and others had suspicion about his mobility (Sir Alex Ferguson apparently thought him too slow) there is no question that every top European club has coveted Dzeko. City have moved quickly and in doing so prevented Bayern Munich, Juventus, Real Madrid, Liverpool or Chelsea giving them a harder time in the summer.

What is it all these clubs have seen in Dzeko? Obviously his goal record is good – 65 goals in the last two seasons – but the statistic that is perhaps even more telling is that, in his last two seasons, Dzeko made 26 assists. So he either scored or made 91 goals in the last two seasons.

Dzeko is not the kind of striker who simply finishes off what his team-mates set up, he’s an integrated player. At Wolfsburg, and with Bosnia, he developed a good understanding with the playmaker Zvjezdan Misimovic. He also got the best out of Grafite, the Brazilian striker, who played alongside him.

When Steve McClaren switched from a 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 this season, Dzeko did not like playing as the lone striker and his form dipped. Roberto Mancini must give Dzeko the context to thrive. With Carlos Tevez and David Silva, Dzeko can develop the kind of partnerships he thrived on at Wolfsburg. It could also coax a more open game out of a City team that are growing in confidence.

Dzeko will not thrive on the long ball. He likes to be involved in build up play. His aerial threat is best employed getting on the end of crosses (in this respect he is like an up-market Roque Santa Cruz). David Silva, Adam Johnson and James Milner are all good crossers of the ball. They now have a menacing presence at which to aim.

There is no doubt that City have bought quality. They have also bought a player who carried on fighting and scoring when the going got tough as Wolfsburg struggled last season. On a day when Emmanuel Adebayor is involved in a training ground fight with Kolo Toure, that is an important quality for this club.

Finch said:
cleavers said:
You get to a lot of Wolfsburg games then do you ? Fair enough, 1 would be more than I've seen, though I wasn't claiming an opinion on Dzeko, just asking how you based your expert opinion. My number of times watching City will be in the thousands by the way, however relevant you feel that is.

Funny thing is, you claim to know all about him, more than his own manager in fact, looking at McClarens comments, and yet ironically you're telling everyone on here that they know nothing about him.

I'm a couch potato when it comes to Bundesliga football unfortunately, although I would love to one day watch a game in Germany.

I, too, have seen City on countless occasions, and am a season ticket holder in the South stand (which has slipping standards, I'm sorry to say).

Would you expect McClaren to highlight everything bad about him, after selling him for £27 million (reportedly)? That would be quite a foolish thing to do.
South Stand slipping standards. Have a pop long standing blues now, get a life muppet

I only saw him in a couple of games, he had quiet matches but got on the end of stuff when they got in the box, and scored from a cross in one of the matches. I see the bundisleague now to be better than the dutch league, but having some of the same lottery factor when signing players who have a high goal scoring average.

The fee talked about is the same as bayern munich payed for gomez, and he is a fucking donkey (on a good day). So I'll get behind the lad, but I'll hold off on the mesiah chat just yet. I think the addition of a player who does his work in the box is a huge thing for city in the second half of the season, it will change the shape of the attack for the better. Tevez is a fantastic footballer and I'd like to see him drop deeper and interlink without the responsibity of getting back into the box. This will let him do that, don't know who gets the chop though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.