Ferran Soriano & Txiki Begiristain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Pep and Pelly are on three year contracts. Neither are likely to end their contracts early but the timescale does make it seem an ideal fit. The only snag will be if either manager goes on to sweep up all trophies before him, then it's difficult for him to move elsewhere and possibly leave his comfort zone behind.

I'm no cynic said:
Both Pep and Pelly are on three year contracts. Neither are likely to end their contracts early but the timescale does make it seem an ideal fit. The only snag will be if either manager goes on to sweep up all trophies before him, then it's difficult for him to move elsewhere and possibly leave his comfort zone behind.
Well Pep already did that didn't he? Pellers will be around 63 at the end of his current contract and I got the impression(possibly mistaken) when he signed that it was just for the 3 years with a definite plan in place after that. Possibly Vieira or maybe Pep?

ColinLee said:
I'm no cynic said:
Well Pep already did that didn't he? Pellers will be around 63 at the end of his current contract and I got the impression(possibly mistaken) when he signed that it was just for the 3 years with a definite plan in place after that. Possibly Vieira or maybe Pep?
But he had to take a year out to recover from the stresses of managing Barca, so it's hardly a case of leaving one job on a high and moving straight into another.

Re: Ferran Soriano & Txiki Begiristain

ColinLee said:
I'm no cynic said:

No club makes managerial plans three years ahead. As mancini's 5 year deal illustrated, the length of contract is solely to do with the payoff and nothing to do with the length of tenure.

Maybe pep will be our manager in future, maybe not. But any talk of a deal being in place three years down the line is nonsense IMO.

ColinLee said:
I'm no cynic said:

Or could Pellegrini take over NYCFC. Makes perfect sense to me.

Didsbury Dave said:
ColinLee said:
I'm no cynic said:

No club makes managerial plans three years ahead. As mancini's 5 year deal illustrated, the length of contract is solely to do with the payoff and nothing to do with the length of tenure.

Maybe pep will be our manager in future, maybe not. But any talk of a deal being in place three years down the line is nonsense IMO.
That's true. A week is a long time in this game [as we know following each defeat] and to talk of something that is just a possibility rather than an inevitability as far as three years ahead is concerned, it's just absurd.

Crikey, is there any chance of us giving Pellegrini a chance before we start speculating and practically appointing a new manager? We have Pellegrini and he is doing a good job, let the other panic merchants (Wigan, Fulham, etc) sack their managers and let us get on with supporting our manager. IMO

Eccles Blue said:
Crikey, is there any chance of us giving Pellegrini a chance before we start speculating and practically appointing a new manager? We have Pellegrini and he is doing a good job, let the other panic merchants (Wigan, Fulham, etc) sack their managers and let us get on with supporting our manager. IMO

What do you mean? In my mind Pep is the third in line, I've already mentally sacked another manager after Pellegrini before he arrives.

George Hannah said:
Seriously though if Pep valued Txiki so highly you wonder why he gave the finger to Soriano when he invited him to take over here a couple of winters back.

I think there's a lot of misinformation about Pep/City, especially about whether he was or wasn't offered the job. The truth is we'll never know how officially or unofficially we approached him and when this occurred. However your assertion that Pep was approached two winters ago (so the winter of 2011) seems a little wide of the mark to me. He was at the time Barca manager, hadn't even announced that he was going to leave at the end of that season, and Txiki and Ferran were still some ways away from working at the club.

If i had to hazard a guess, it'd be that Pep made his mind up very soon after meeting Bayern in the early summer of 2012 that that's what his next job would be. He will no doubt have known that Txiki was coming to City, but I don't think it automatically follows that him not following Txiki should be seen as a snub when City weren't actively canvassing for a new manager. More likely that Pep felt Bayern and Germany would be a good starting point outside of Spain, and City felt that Mancini, Txiki, and Ferran, needed to be given a chance to work together.

I agree with what DD said above, I don't think that clubs make 3 year succession plans. I do however think that it's a no brainer if Pep comes to England, and Txiki is DoF at City, that City would be an obvious and easy destination for him. But that requires all the dominos to remain in place and you simply can't predict that.

Re: Ferran Soriano & Txiki Begiristain

BillyShears said:
George Hannah said:
Seriously though if Pep valued Txiki so highly you wonder why he gave the finger to Soriano when he invited him to take over here a couple of winters back.

I think there's a lot of misinformation about Pep/City, especially about whether he was or wasn't offered the job. The truth is we'll never know how officially or unofficially we approached him and when this occurred. However your assertion that Pep was approached two winters ago (so the winter of 2011) seems a little wide of the mark to me. He was at the time Barca manager, hadn't even announced that he was going to leave at the end of that season, and Txiki and Ferran were still some ways away from working at the club.

If i had to hazard a guess, it'd be that Pep made his mind up very soon after meeting Bayern in the early summer of 2012 that that's what his next job would be. He will no doubt have known that Txiki was coming to City, but I don't think it automatically follows that him not following Txiki should be seen as a snub when City weren't actively canvassing for a new manager. More likely that Pep felt Bayern and Germany would be a good starting point outside of Spain, and City felt that Mancini, Txiki, and Ferran, needed to be given a chance to work together.

I agree with what DD said above, I don't think that clubs make 3 year succession plans. I do however think that it's a no brainer if Pep comes to England, and Txiki is DoF at City, that City would be an obvious and easy destination for him. But that requires all the dominos to remain in place and you simply can't predict that.

My guess has always been that at Christmas, txiki was only able to say to guardiola that he believed there was every chance of a vacancy in summer but it would depend on the end-of-season review and the nod from Abu Dhabi. And guardiola wanted a job in the bag. But your version of events fits with the guy who told me that at Christmas a certain person of major influence at the club was telling people he wanted Pep at the club whatever it took.

The thing is, if in three or four years Pep wants a move and we are champions of Europe and are the dominant force in England, it will be a no brainer: we will stick with the existing manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.