Ferran Soriano & Txiki Begiristain

Status
Not open for further replies.
gelly said:
This whole Barcelona setup I dont this its going to work in England. The perfect setup was in two and a half years of Mancini's reign. Mancini the main man. As soon as he lost power football results went downhill.
Mancini's managerial role was effectively changed by his failure to get out of the CL group stage in December 2011. That was when the recruitment of the Barca Boys was decided upon, After that our title winning achievement came as a bit of surprise to our owners and gave him renewed hope of room for manouevre. Another CL failure however saw the rug pulled by Christmas last year and with defeat at Everton finally signalling the end of our championship challenge (Mancini correctly saw a repeat title win as his last chance) he did himself and the club no favours at all by acrimoniously rejecting a Pellegrini type role. Sadly, he had to go.

George Hannah said:
gelly said:
This whole Barcelona setup I dont this its going to work in England. The perfect setup was in two and a half years of Mancini's reign. Mancini the main man. As soon as he lost power football results went downhill.
Mancini's managerial role was effectively changed by his failure to get out of the CL group stage in December 2011. That was when the recruitment of the Barca Boys was decided upon, After that our title winning achievement came as a bit of surprise to our owners and gave him renewed hope of room for manouevre. Another CL failure however saw the rug pulled by Christmas last year and with defeat at Everton finally signalling the end of our championship challenge (Mancini correctly saw a repeat title win as his last chance) he did himself and the club no favours at all by acrimoniously rejecting a Pellegrini type role. Sadly, he had to go.
The only issue I'd take is that I think the owners always had a view of what they wanted the club to be. They wanted a club that produced its own players, playing in a defined style.

Re: Ferran Soriano & Txiki Begiristain

I know Ferran gave a wide ranging interview at the end of last season, but has anything appeared from Txiki? A man of his experience, background and pedigree ought to make for an interesting read.

strongbowholic said:
I know Ferran gave a wide ranging interview at the end of last season, but has anything appeared from Txiki? A man of his experience, background and pedigree ought to make for an interesting read.

I might be mistaken but I don't think he ever spoke to the press when he was at Barca either. Honestly IMO you really don't want football club executives giving interviews. That kind of behaviour smacks of wanting the limelight. Ferran did his sit down whilst launching New York City so it made sense from a wider perspective. I think it's best Txiki just gets on with what he's doing.

Also, I don't know if you know this but Pep said somewhere that he was surprised Txiki never became a manager or coach. I believe the quote was something like "Txiki knows more about football than anyone I've ever met." I'll try and find it to give it's full context.

Prestwich_Blue said:
George Hannah said:
gelly said:
The only issue I'd take is that I think the owners always had a view of what they wanted the club to be. They wanted a club that produced its own players, playing in a defined style.

Another way of describing the holistic approach! For smaller clubs or those without our resources, this is the correct way to go. Swansea will never be a top club, but when compared with their position around ten years ago, they are in heaven. But there is an obvious problem with City. The size of the operation demands immediate success. Hasn't Pellegrini been given the order of five trophies in five years? Apart from his contract not lasting that long [and irrelevant if it did, as Mancini could tell us], we have the need to satisfy FFP and this is only likely to be achieved by meeting commercial targets through persistent appearances in the latter stages of the Champions League. Success sells shirts, sells tickets, and makes us an ideal business to sponsor. If we fail to meet these immediate demands, this source of income could evaporate and we could find ourselves in serious trouble.

BillyShears said:
strongbowholic said:

I might be mistaken but I don't think he ever spoke to the press when he was at Barca either. Honestly IMO you really don't want football club executives giving interviews. That kind of behaviour smacks of wanting the limelight. Ferran did his sit down whilst launching New York City so it made sense from a wider perspective. I think it's best Txiki just gets on with what he's doing.

Also, I don't know if you know this but Pep said somewhere that he was surprised Txiki never became a manager or coach. I believe the quote was something like "Txiki knows more about football than anyone I've ever met." I'll try and find it to give it's full context.
I'd like to hear from him; it's always interesting hearing from the hierarchy to get a feel for what they are about. I know there is a book and all that, but it'd be good to hear it from the horse's mouth.

The Barca that you see play today was not built overnight, you can see the parallels between our club now and when LaPorta, Soriano & Txiki took control of Barca and started to re-mould it into the club they wanted achieve

Rijkaard struggled at first with results not going according to plan, but even against some hostility from the Barca fans they still persevered with their plans for the club - I bet you would find it very hard to find any Barca fans complaining now after achieving so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.