Fickle fans

ChicagoBlue said:
Having only been a City fan for every one of my 48 yrs, and seasoncard holder who lives overseas, I am dumbfounded by some of the nonsense I read about things at City.

We won the FA Cup last year and broke the drought
We are top of the league
We are breaking scoring records FOR
We are breaking scoring records AGAINST
We have most clean sheets in the league
We have one of the best managers in the world
We have a world class stadium
We have the best owners in the world
We are debt free
We NOW have the ability to attract world class players
We HAVE world class players in our team

And, for those of you who have only been a City fan for a few years, because you have only seen onwards and upwards:

We are not in a relegation battle.......in the Championship
We do not need to score two goals in injury time at Wembley to get into the Championship
We do not have local derbies with Macclesfield and Stockport
We do not have a revolving door on the Manager's Office
We are not attracting the aging dregs of world football in the hopes that they've "still got it"

Yes, we got beat by one goal by United in the FA Cup after playing 78 minutes with 10 players
Yes, we lost a two legged SF to Liverpool, after losing the home leg, and drawing 2-2 at Anfield
Yes, we have had a few bad games this season
Yes, some of the world class players are tired after "two or three a week" for the past 60 days
Yes, we are missing a few key players, but have a squad that should be able to cope

So, forgive me for saying, but WHO THE FUCK HAVE WE BECOME?

I EXPECT rags to whine about the above!
I EXPECT bin dippers to think the above is not good enough!
I EXPECT Norf Lahndahners to not be satisfied with it all!

I EXPECT REAL CITY FANS to realize that the Blue Moon Is Rising and, while there will be a bump or two along the road to success, there is NOT A SINGLE DOUBT that we are living the best era of being a City fan for 40 years, and possibly EVER!

I LOVE CITY! I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED CITY! I WILL ALWAYS LOVE CITY!

AND, TODAY, WE ARE THE BEST CITY I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!

CTID,

ChicagoBlue

P.S. "We're Man City, we'll score when we want!"
Really?
THAT is the NEW Man City?
Don't like it.
Don't like it one bit.
It is NOT the Man City I know and love.

We can do better!

IF you've been a blue for 48yrs then you have seen better,and there is a single doubt - 1968...............................
I too have been a blue for that long - the diference this time is that this isnt a homegrown team put together on a shoestring which had,therefore, lower expectations - this is the most expensively assembled team ever. We are right to expect more and I believe they are underperforming.

Only by being self analytical and critical can we move to the next level. Its healthy and very justified. In my estimation we should have won the League last year. This is still THE worst United team in many years and we're still not certain of beating them off AND its our only chance of silverware (discount the silly euro thingy). Not winning anything this time will be disasterous and see Mancini go. The next manager wont get that sort of budget as the only way for the owners to recoup is Champ League success - something we are miles away from since we only have six players capable of doing so (aguerro,hart,kompany,silva,richards,Yaya).

You can bluster all you like, but take off the blue tinted specs and be honest. If the club do this too then maybe we can move forward. Keep blaming Refs and whining about injuries,tiredness and ACON - feeds the suspicion the manager isnt coping and nor,it seems, are some of the fans.
Attitudes like this give credibility to the 'city will crumble' diatribe flowing from the swamp.
So, thats why some of us fans aren't happy..............................even us oldies are entitled to that!

Prestwich_Blue said:
Just what we need; A wannabe Colin Shindler who much preferred it when we were shit and cared more about the day out than the football itself. Can I ask who uses your ticket on the (presumably frequent) occasions you're not?

That's on the same scale as Liverpool fans who believe that their 'istree is more important than their future. Let's stay just as we used to be and happily accept mediocrity and inconsistency.

There's still plenty of passion and humour among City fans but you clearly fail to understand that the level of nervousness and anxiety is so much higher these days. Every single game is a must-win because the clubs around us will usually win theirs That inevitably brings a slightly different attitude. That is the price of success whether you, Colin Shindler or anyone else likes it or not.

Prestwich Blue,

I live 4,000 miles away, and the home games I have missed are Wolves and the Arsenal and Stoke games over Christmas. I went to Fulham away. Oh, and I am in the Cup scheme and went to ALL of those games, too! My niece goes when I can't.

And, for good measure, last season I was a member of the Hong Kong Supporters Club, because I was spending so much time over there! Anyone who finds themselves there, please find your way to the White Stag in Wanchai for the games!

So, if you have a problem with my comments in the OP, then fire away.

I have stood on the Kippax, sat in the Platt lane Stand, watched the last game at Maine Road from the Main Stand and had a season ticket behind Helen in the North Stand. I have played for the Junior Blues and was trainign with Steve Kinder and the lads of my generation in my teen years. My grandma lived on Horton Road (two streets away from Maine Road, and I spent pre-season there, so I could sneak in Maine Road and watch them train....and have the pictures to prove it! I have even been in the M.E.N. getting signatures in my scrap book as the players were getting on the coach for a big away game.

I'm sorry my education, career and family have taken me to the States, but I would venture I have as many City trinkets in my house as anyone, have drawers full of City shirts and t shirts, and even my daughter bought me a City poster for my bedside last Christmas. Even the license plate on my car is MAN CITY!

I fly back home to Manchester so much that the people at Manchester Airport know me by my first name, and I have plenty of banter with the rags who work there.

So, feel free to tell me to "fuck off, I disagree with what you said," but please don't EVER try and denounce my support for Man City.

ChicagoBlue said:
Having only been a City fan for every one of my 48 yrs, and seasoncard holder who lives overseas, I am dumbfounded by some of the nonsense I read about things at City.

We won the FA Cup last year and broke the drought
We are top of the league
We are breaking scoring records FOR
We are breaking scoring records AGAINST
We have most clean sheets in the league
We have one of the best managers in the world
We have a world class stadium
We have the best owners in the world
We are debt free
We NOW have the ability to attract world class players
We HAVE world class players in our team

And, for those of you who have only been a City fan for a few years, because you have only seen onwards and upwards:

We are not in a relegation battle.......in the Championship
We do not need to score two goals in injury time at Wembley to get into the Championship
We do not have local derbies with Macclesfield and Stockport
We do not have a revolving door on the Manager's Office
We are not attracting the aging dregs of world football in the hopes that they've "still got it"

Yes, we got beat by one goal by United in the FA Cup after playing 78 minutes with 10 players
Yes, we lost a two legged SF to Liverpool, after losing the home leg, and drawing 2-2 at Anfield
Yes, we have had a few bad games this season
Yes, some of the world class players are tired after "two or three a week" for the past 60 days
Yes, we are missing a few key players, but have a squad that should be able to cope

So, forgive me for saying, but WHO THE FUCK HAVE WE BECOME?

I EXPECT rags to whine about the above!
I EXPECT bin dippers to think the above is not good enough!
I EXPECT Norf Lahndahners to not be satisfied with it all!

I EXPECT REAL CITY FANS to realize that the Blue Moon Is Rising and, while there will be a bump or two along the road to success, there is NOT A SINGLE DOUBT that we are living the best era of being a City fan for 40 years, and possibly EVER!

I LOVE CITY! I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED CITY! I WILL ALWAYS LOVE CITY!

AND, TODAY, WE ARE THE BEST CITY I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!

CTID,

ChicagoBlue

P.S. "We're Man City, we'll score when we want!"
Really?
THAT is the NEW Man City?
Don't like it.
Don't like it one bit.
It is NOT the Man City I know and love.

We can do better!

666th post

The mark of the devil :-)

But well said fella

ChicagoBlue said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Just what we need; A wannabe Colin Shindler who much preferred it when we were shit and cared more about the day out than the football itself. Can I ask who uses your ticket on the (presumably frequent) occasions you're not?

That's on the same scale as Liverpool fans who believe that their 'istree is more important than their future. Let's stay just as we used to be and happily accept mediocrity and inconsistency.

There's still plenty of passion and humour among City fans but you clearly fail to understand that the level of nervousness and anxiety is so much higher these days. Every single game is a must-win because the clubs around us will usually win theirs That inevitably brings a slightly different attitude. That is the price of success whether you, Colin Shindler or anyone else likes it or not.[/quote

Prestwich Blue,

I live 4,000 miles away, and the home games I have missed are Wolves and the Arsenal and
Stoke games over Christmas. I went to Fulham away. Oh, and I am in the Cup scheme and went to ALL of those games, too! My niece goes when I can't.

And, for good measure, last season I was a member of the Hong Kong Supporters Club, because I was spending so much time over there! Anyone who finds themselves there, please find your way to the White Stag in Wanchai for the games!

I have stood on the Kippax, sat in the Platt lane Stand, watched the last game at Maine Road from the Main Stand and had a season ticket behind Helen in the North Stand. I have played for the Junior Blues and was trainign with Steve Kinder and the lads of my generation in my teen years. My grandma lived on Horton Road (two streets away from Maine Road, and I spent pre-season there, so I could sneak in Maine Road and watch them train....and have the pictures to prove it! I have even been in the M.E.N. getting signatures

in my scrap book as the players were getting on the coach for a big away game.

I'm sorry my education, career and family have taken me to the States, but I would venture I have as many City trinkets in my house as anyone, have drawers full of City shirts and t shirts, and even my daughter bought me a City poster for my bedside last Christmas. Even the license plate on my car is MAN CITY

I fly back home to Manchester so much that the people at Manchester Airport know me by my first name, and I have plenty of banter with the rags who work there.

So, feel free to tell me to "fuck off, I disagree with what you said," but please don't EVER try and denounce my support for Man City.

Great post mate.

ChicagoBlue said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

There's still plenty of passion and humour among City fans but you clearly fail to understand that the level of nervousness and anxiety is so much higher these days. Every single game is a must-win because the clubs around us will usually win theirs That inevitably brings a slightly different attitude. That is the price of success whether you, Colin Shindler or anyone else likes it or not.

Prestwich Blue,

I live 4,000 miles away, and the home games I have missed are Wolves and the Arsenal and Stoke games over Christmas. I went to Fulham away. Oh, and I am in the Cup scheme and went to ALL of those games, too! My niece goes when I can't.

I have stood on the Kippax, sat in the Platt lane Stand, watched the last game at Maine Road from the Main Stand and had a season ticket behind Helen in the North Stand. I have played for the Junior Blues and was trainign with Steve Kinder and the lads of my generation in my teen years. My grandma lived on Horton Road (two streets away from Maine Road, and I spent pre-season there, so I could sneak in Maine Road and watch them train....and have the pictures to prove it! I have even been in the M.E.N. getting signatures in my scrap book as the players were getting on the coach for a big away game.

I'm sorry my education, career and family have taken me to the States, but I would venture I have as many City trinkets in my house as anyone, have drawers full of City shirts and t shirts, and even my daughter bought me a City poster for my bedside last Christmas. Even the license plate on my car is MAN CITY!

Sounds like its time to move back to Manchester or somewhere not too far away CB! ;-)

ANY1aBLUE said:
IF you've been a blue for 48yrs then you have seen better,and there is a single doubt - 1968...............................
I too have been a blue for that long - the diference this time is that this isnt a homegrown team put together on a shoestring which had,therefore, lower expectations - this is the most expensively assembled team ever. We are right to expect more and I believe they are underperforming.

Only by being self analytical and critical can we move to the next level. Its healthy and very justified. In my estimation we should have won the League last year. This is still THE worst United team in many years and we're still not certain of beating them off AND its our only chance of silverware (discount the silly euro thingy). Not winning anything this time will be disasterous and see Mancini go. The next manager wont get that sort of budget as the only way for the owners to recoup is Champ League success - something we are miles away from since we only have six players capable of doing so (aguerro,hart,kompany,silva,richards,Yaya).

You can bluster all you like, but take off the blue tinted specs and be honest. If the club do this too then maybe we can move forward. Keep blaming Refs and whining about injuries,tiredness and ACON - feeds the suspicion the manager isnt coping and nor,it seems, are some of the fans.
Attitudes like this give credibility to the 'city will crumble' diatribe flowing from the swamp.
So, thats why some of us fans aren't happy..............................even us oldies are entitled to that!

Please don't get me wrong. I LOVED my early years watching Lee, Bell, Summerbee, and even enjoyed the Marsh and Tueart years. I cried when Tueart's overhead won the League Cup and cried just as hard when I was at Wembley watching us lose to Ricky Villa.

However, we are LITERALLY having a record breaking year, even including those glory years from TWO generations ago! Mancini warned everyone we were in for a difficult time over January and we have experienced it.

However, it is not the darkness before the night but the darkness before the light!

OUR future is approaching sunrise, while we are watching the sunset on others. SO, now is not the time to heap pressure on the players, ourselves, or our fans. We have come through the most difficult period of our season so far and are STILL at the top of the league. THAT is the prize we ALL want and THAT will be the springboard to the future.

Success in the Prem will tell the world "WE ARE HERE, AND WE ARE HERE TO STAY!"

It will help us attract talent WITHOUT having to pay over the odds.
We will become one of those teams that players PUBLICLY place in the top tier of teams they want to play for.

However, to your original point, we are NO LONGER the Manchester City that was run by local businessmen (who sold TVs for a living and played football executive!), but rather a global company, owned by international businessmen, and attempting a global fan and business base. To do that takes the best players from everywhere in the world.

Sadly, today, a team of home grown Northerners, who sip whiskey and smoke a few fags at half time, is not going to cut it in the world class athlete ranks of the top football teams in the world. This is 2012, and much as I would love for every player to have grown up playing on the muddy fields of Manchester, it will never be again, and so I am not sure if "the heights" we achieved in the late 60s and early 70s is what we are even aiming for anymore. Today, I think we are aiming far higher and far wider. If the Barca names being touted for the Executive Suite are true, then we are aiming for the very pinnacle of world football..........and that is going to take time and a steady hand, both for players, managers and fans alike.

ChicagoBlue said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Prestwich Blue,

I moderated my somewhat harsh opinion later on and am pleased to hear you make such an effort to get to games.

Let me express my opinion in a more thoughtful way. I'm not for one moment doubting your support. Being of a roughly similar vintage I've lived through the same times as you have but have had the same conversation with a number of fans who also have and we all feel the same way.

Yes it's fantastic where we are now and we all love it. But because people may be critical then that doesn't mean they don't feel that way. We're not just having an exceptional, never-to-be-repeated season; we're hopefully here to stay and the expectations are higher. The old days were represented by people like the walking disaster area that was Richard Dunne and hopefully they won't be coming back in our lifetime.

But to be the best consistently you have to up your game and make less mistakes. You have to win nearly every game. You have to face teams who up their game in every game you play. So when Dzeko needlessly lost the ball against Spurs, then it got booted upfield for Savic to mis-head it, I don't think "Oh never mind. We used to play Lincoln & Macclesfield", I think "That's shit and not good enough for where we're going".

Prestwich_Blue said:

Excellent post & very true, i`ve yet to meet a single `new` fan who knows fookall. Its a myth & does the media`s dirty work for them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.