Fickle fans

Tom_mcfc said:
United have the most clean sheets

Not once the sister-in-law's been given a good rogering on them, or some 'mature' prozzie

ChicagoBlue said:
Having only been a City fan for every one of my 48 yrs, and seasoncard holder who lives overseas, I am dumbfounded by some of the nonsense I read about things at City.

We won the FA Cup last year and broke the drought
We are top of the league
We are breaking scoring records FOR
We are breaking scoring records AGAINST
We have most clean sheets in the league
We have one of the best managers in the world
We have a world class stadium
We have the best owners in the world
We are debt free
We NOW have the ability to attract world class players
We HAVE world class players in our team

And, for those of you who have only been a City fan for a few years, because you have only seen onwards and upwards:

We are not in a relegation battle.......in the Championship
We do not need to score two goals in injury time at Wembley to get into the Championship
We do not have local derbies with Macclesfield and Stockport
We do not have a revolving door on the Manager's Office
We are not attracting the aging dregs of world football in the hopes that they've "still got it"

Yes, we got beat by one goal by United in the FA Cup after playing 78 minutes with 10 players
Yes, we lost a two legged SF to Liverpool, after losing the home leg, and drawing 2-2 at Anfield
Yes, we have had a few bad games this season
Yes, some of the world class players are tired after "two or three a week" for the past 60 days
Yes, we are missing a few key players, but have a squad that should be able to cope

So, forgive me for saying, but WHO THE FUCK HAVE WE BECOME?

I EXPECT rags to whine about the above!
I EXPECT bin dippers to think the above is not good enough!
I EXPECT Norf Lahndahners to not be satisfied with it all!

I EXPECT REAL CITY FANS to realize that the Blue Moon Is Rising and, while there will be a bump or two along the road to success, there is NOT A SINGLE DOUBT that we are living the best era of being a City fan for 40 years, and possibly EVER!

I LOVE CITY! I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED CITY! I WILL ALWAYS LOVE CITY!

AND, TODAY, WE ARE THE BEST CITY I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!

CTID,

ChicagoBlue

P.S. "We're Man City, we'll score when we want!"
Really?
THAT is the NEW Man City?
Don't like it.
Don't like it one bit.
It is NOT the Man City I know and love.

We can do better!
I too have been aCITY FAN for forty odd years .THE LAST TIME WE WON THE LEAGUE. Thats the best ever CITY SIDE BY FAR. Not seen football as good yet. I hope this lot prove me wrong.Mind you we had the best coach ever in ALLISON,MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Prestwich_Blue said:
I moderated my somewhat harsh opinion later on and am pleased to hear you make such an effort to get to games.

Let me express my opinion in a more thoughtful way. I'm not for one moment doubting your support. Being of a roughly similar vintage I've lived through the same times as you have but have had the same conversation with a number of fans who also have and we all feel the same way.

Yes it's fantastic where we are now and we all love it. But because people may be critical then that doesn't mean they don't feel that way. We're not just having an exceptional, never-to-be-repeated season; we're hopefully here to stay and the expectations are higher. The old days were represented by people like the walking disaster area that was Richard Dunne and hopefully they won't be coming back in our lifetime.

But to be the best consistently you have to up your game and make less mistakes. You have to win nearly every game. You have to face teams who up their game in every game you play. So when Dzeko needlessly lost the ball against Spurs, then it got booted upfield for Savic to mis-head it, I don't think "Oh never mind. We used to play Lincoln & Macclesfield", I think "That's shit and not good enough for where we're going".

Whilst undoubtedly true there is also a flip side to it. Just because we are 'going where we're going' and have top class players doesn't mean we can't make mistakes or have bad days. Because Dzeko lost the ball 80 yards from his own goal doesn't mean anything, it's stuff that happens in games from time to time. Thankfully those times are rarer than ever before. I dislike the 'York away' stories as much as anyone but you would think that us as a group of fans would be more understanding about things. For example, on twitter last night fbloke said something along the lines of 'Kolarov is one of the worst players ever to wear the City shirt'...really? That kind of shit is ten times worse than the York away stories. I can think of 100 worse City players off the top of my head and since the early 90's. We are lucky, very lucky in fact and whilst our attitude should be changing to a winning one we should also use our past to be more dignified in how we behave at the top.

Prestwich Blue,

I, too, despair at some of the inept play. However, I also realize I am watching football of a higher order than I have ever seen. We have players who have 95% passing success rates, which is unfathomable to me. I groan at passes that go astray, just like everyone around me in the East Stand 202. However, when I step back from the disappointment of night's like last night, I see a bump in the road, a misstep, a diversion on the road to ultimate success.

Believe me, I was swearing at my TV and even cursing Kolarov for not tracking Johnson into the box, when Bellamy scored. BUT, I did it at home, to the TV, and not on WELL-KNOWN CITY FAN SITES like BlueMoon. Publicly, I could not be prouder of the team we have assembled, the management team, the club. I am a proud blue and do not publicly disparage my team, but I DO talk to my brother and sister about it (also both seasoncard holders in 202!)!

Also, I did not particularly like the comment about the "day out versus the football." My father played professionally in England, I played for City Juniors, then signed for Sunderland. Adamson took me to Leeds with him, where I played and trained with Terry Connor (Mick McCarthy's asst at Wolves) and turned down a pro contract there to do my A Levels, during which time I played at Oldham. I went to the States on a football and academic scholarship, and then played professionally in the States. I have forgotten more about football than most people with whom I discuss the topic. You may be the rare guy who can match my playing and supporting life, so I wont cast any aspersions on you.

I realize it is not always easy to know you audience on this Forum, but that should provide a caution, not permission, to make remarks such as you made.

I'm sure you are as committed as I am. I look forward to watching us hoist the BIG silverware against QPR (would prefer it a couple of games earlier, tbh, but that game might be the one that puts us over the top) in person!

FYI, I will miss the Chelsea game because I will be on vacation in Florida with my wife and kids (U.S. Spring Break), so feel free to ad that to my list ahead of time! However, my niece is happy as a clam about it!

All the best,

Neil

ANY1aBLUE said:
the diference this time is that this isnt a homegrown team put together on a shoestring
You keep telling yourself that little story. Bell, Lee, Summerbee, all bought. Indeed, Lee was more than half the record transfer fee of the time (£115,000) at £60,000 so by my reckoning as Aguero cost £35m, less than half the record (£80m), we're operating on a shoestring... Colin Bell, £45,000 again using the record to set the standard, we paid less relatively for Silva. Summerbee, £35,000. That's a Yaya at £24m. Homegrown players, we've got Micah and Hart most likely counts as well. I'm not contesting that back then it wasn't more organic and we didn't have to rely on a backer, this being the days before Champions League money enshrined an oligarchy. What I am saying is that claiming it is a homegrown squad built on a shoestring is absurd. Mercer and Allison spent and they won the league. Mancini's spent and I can see the same happening.

ChicagoBlue said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Just what we need; A wannabe Colin Shindler who much preferred it when we were shit and cared more about the day out than the football itself. Can I ask who uses your ticket on the (presumably frequent) occasions you're not?

That's on the same scale as Liverpool fans who believe that their 'istree is more important than their future. Let's stay just as we used to be and happily accept mediocrity and inconsistency.

There's still plenty of passion and humour among City fans but you clearly fail to understand that the level of nervousness and anxiety is so much higher these days. Every single game is a must-win because the clubs around us will usually win theirs That inevitably brings a slightly different attitude. That is the price of success whether you, Colin Shindler or anyone else likes it or not.

Prestwich Blue,

I live 4,000 miles away, and the home games I have missed are Wolves and the Arsenal and Stoke games over Christmas. I went to Fulham away. Oh, and I am in the Cup scheme and went to ALL of those games, too! My niece goes when I can't.

And, for good measure, last season I was a member of the Hong Kong Supporters Club, because I was spending so much time over there! Anyone who finds themselves there, please find your way to the White Stag in Wanchai for the games!

So, if you have a problem with my comments in the OP, then fire away.

I have stood on the Kippax, sat in the Platt lane Stand, watched the last game at Maine Road from the Main Stand and had a season ticket behind Helen in the North Stand. I have played for the Junior Blues and was trainign with Steve Kinder and the lads of my generation in my teen years. My grandma lived on Horton Road (two streets away from Maine Road, and I spent pre-season there, so I could sneak in Maine Road and watch them train....and have the pictures to prove it! I have even been in the M.E.N. getting signatures in my scrap book as the players were getting on the coach for a big away game.

I'm sorry my education, career and family have taken me to the States, but I would venture I have as many City trinkets in my house as anyone, have drawers full of City shirts and t shirts, and even my daughter bought me a City poster for my bedside last Christmas. Even the license plate on my car is MAN CITY!

I fly back home to Manchester so much that the people at Manchester Airport know me by my first name, and I have plenty of banter with the rags who work there.

So, feel free to tell me to "fuck off, I disagree with what you said," but please don't EVER try and denounce my support for Man City.

Superb post pal. I salute you.

brad the blue said:
ChicagoBlue said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Just what we need; A wannabe Colin Shindler who much preferred it when we were shit and cared more about the day out than the football itself. Can I ask who uses your ticket on the (presumably frequent) occasions you're not?

That's on the same scale as Liverpool fans who believe that their 'istree is more important than their future. Let's stay just as we used to be and happily accept mediocrity and inconsistency.

There's still plenty of passion and humour among City fans but you clearly fail to understand that the level of nervousness and anxiety is so much higher these days. Every single game is a must-win because the clubs around us will usually win theirs That inevitably brings a slightly different attitude. That is the price of success whether you, Colin Shindler or anyone else likes it or not.

Prestwich Blue,

I live 4,000 miles away, and the home games I have missed are Wolves and the Arsenal and Stoke games over Christmas. I went to Fulham away. Oh, and I am in the Cup scheme and went to ALL of those games, too! My niece goes when I can't.

And, for good measure, last season I was a member of the Hong Kong Supporters Club, because I was spending so much time over there! Anyone who finds themselves there, please find your way to the White Stag in Wanchai for the games!

So, if you have a problem with my comments in the OP, then fire away.

I have stood on the Kippax, sat in the Platt lane Stand, watched the last game at Maine Road from the Main Stand and had a season ticket behind Helen in the North Stand. I have played for the Junior Blues and was trainign with Steve Kinder and the lads of my generation in my teen years. My grandma lived on Horton Road (two streets away from Maine Road, and I spent pre-season there, so I could sneak in Maine Road and watch them train....and have the pictures to prove it! I have even been in the M.E.N. getting signatures in my scrap book as the players were getting on the coach for a big away game.

I'm sorry my education, career and family have taken me to the States, but I would venture I have as many City trinkets in my house as anyone, have drawers full of City shirts and t shirts, and even my daughter bought me a City poster for my bedside last Christmas. Even the license plate on my car is MAN CITY!

I fly back home to Manchester so much that the people at Manchester Airport know me by my first name, and I have plenty of banter with the rags who work there.

So, feel free to tell me to "fuck off, I disagree with what you said," but please don't EVER try and denounce my support for Man City.

Superb post pal. I salute you.

+1.

Chicago Blue...I too am a city fan born and raised in Manchester but now working abroad (Canada). Got to say I thought your original post was great, but your follow up exceptional. I also think you and Prestwich Blue would see eye to eye on most things based on the posts I've seen. Thought PB was harsh in the extreme. There are a lot of posts on here that deserve a ton of bricks..and yours wasn't one of them (sorry PB...you get most things right in my view based on what I've seen...if I was one of the posters CB referred to I would be demanding your replacement for making a mistake...seems to be the done thing...I could even request a poll?).

Maybe the negative mob are struggling to deal with the 'new pressures', but I like you despair at how this is manifesting on this forum. The point for me is, if you can't enjoy what's happening now, when will you ever enjoy it. We never dared dream it would be this good, never. (I'm not old enough to have ever seen good times before this)...yet some sad people still concentrate on the negatives. Yes we could be better..but we're still the best that I've seen in the prem this year...and that's enough to keep me happy.

The reason york away is brought up, isn't because we should be happy with anything we get as long as we're better than we were at york...its a sanity check to remind us to be happy because we're literally in dreamland...somewhere we never thought we'd be...and it might not be around forever.

We're all gutted when we lose...we all panicked every time savic got the ball last night..but it doesn't mean we have to find the downside to everything and post a new topic on it.

I'm having the best time of my life as a city supporter..and if someone isn't (unless you saw the glory days), as far as I'm concerned they need to question why they support city. Maybe they find comfort in wallowing in despair...after all, it's what we were brought up doing...it's what we're good at?

Good job CB...good job.

I will not pretend to understand the lifelong blue mentality, but I think that these fans want Championships so badly because of all that has been invested over the last few years that they forget where they've come from.

I am ok with high expectations, but to expect players on the field to be divine and not make mistakes is unrealistic. Anyone with football knowledge knows that it is difficult to maintain high level of play.

Bashing Nasri, Kolarov, Barry, Johnson, Savic, De Jong, Dzeko, and even Silva and Yaya when they first joined is disgraceful and hypocritical. You have to take good with the bad and vice versa.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.