FIFA/UEFA Investigations

If UEFA had any morality and backbone, (I know, I know) they would announce that none of their members will participate in the 2022 World Cup. Neither will seasons be adjusted to suit it. Any club releasing players to take part in any qualifications or the finals will be suspended from taking part in European competitions for 10 years.

I would go even further and announce a 2022 World Championship to be run in the summer featuring all the nations that boycott the Quatar nonsense. Sponsorship from FIFA sponsors will be banned (opening the door to Pepsi et al).

It is time FIFA was destroyed if it refuses to reform.

Personally I don't give a flying frack about the development of football in institutionally corrupt countries being hurt.

Neither do I give a damn about the international participation of the dozens of crappy no hope countries. If England and other real football powers never had to play San Marino and their ilk ever again that would suit me fine.

It's UEFA (Platini) that wanted Qatar, Blatter wasn't in favour of it.

Looks like Fifa could be in for a £28mil claim from the FA for choosing Russia before any voting went ahead.

To clarify my comment. Crimes committed in Switzerland that do not affect anyone in the USA can not be prosecuted in the US. The US can go after them re the world cup bid but not the general corruption in FIFA.
That is not correct. The FBI has jurisdiction over any offence concerning the US dollar

It's not uncommon to have elections/venues fixed by the candidates.

For example an election I was involved in one of the candidates only put themselves forward to assist another candidate who wouldn't have been elected otherwise. The first candidate won and magically withdrew as his votes transferred to his mate who in turn 'won'. This is pretty much legal. I'm guessing FIFA do the same but it's the amount of money that passes through hands of a 'charitable organisation' that's got the FBI asking questions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dyke knew this and lied to parliament. Our World Cup bid was built on politics and arrogance. It was never going to win despite our media following blindly behind it with Team Beckham leading to promote his own image and the Royals getting onside as the nation still had a grudge over the treatment of Diana. Blair saw it as another part of his own legacy.

Incidentally the UK only won the olympics because the French called a general Strike on the IOC visit because they didn't want it in the economic climate that was approaching. They saw the white elephants of Barcelona and Greece and what looks like London too.

That is not correct. The FBI has jurisdiction over any offence concerning the US dollar
This.

FIFA do most of its dealings in it so it attracted their attention. Even more so when chuck blazer started repenting.

Blatter's comments about the Platini payment are interesting. From The Guardian:

He stopped his working contract because he was then an official of Fifa. He never touched this issue until 2010. In 2010 he approached the financial director of Fifa by saying: ‘Hey, listen, Fifa owes us money.’ I was informed about that and I said, OK let him make an invoice of this what we owe him. And then he said we owe him two million Swiss francs. And then I analysed that and I said OK. Yes, it’s a contract we have made. It’s a principle I have in my life that if you owe money to somebody, then you pay it. Then we paid it. That’s all. And this money was not paid for any other reasons.

So someone can claim to have a contract with Fifa, make out an invoice and Blatter will authorise payment because it is one of his life principles? There is a shocking lack of financial probity demonstrated there. I hope Blatter gets to serve a few more days after his 90 day ban - just enough for him to authorise my own invoice for services rendered back in 2002.

It's UEFA (Platini) that wanted Qatar, Blatter wasn't in favour of it.

Platini and his fellow travellers did indeed vote for Quatar. That's not UEFA, which should also be reformed. But the World Cup is a FIFA thing and that organisation is clearly institutionally corrupt in ways UEFA can only dream about.

Platini should resign from all football related posts. Rightly or wrongly his actions give the appearance of being deeply corrupt even if he is not. FIFA and UEFA should go all out to make sure they appear whiter than white, which of course for FIFA means none of the candidates should be standing.

Blatter's comments about the Platini payment are interesting. From The Guardian:

So someone can claim to have a contract with Fifa, make out an invoice and Blatter will authorise payment because it is one of his life principles? There is a shocking lack of financial probity demonstrated there. I hope Blatter gets to serve a few more days after his 90 day ban - just enough for him to authorise my own invoice for services rendered back in 2002.

I don't believe for one second Platini had a verbal contract. The very notion that millions of pounds at bandied about in this way is beyond belief.

We should go back to basics. Get rid of FIFA and England should host all tournaments. We invented the sport, we've the facilities to host an event tomorrow and all games would sell out. Let our owners take control. They'd put on a show.

We should go back to basics. Get rid of FIFA and England should host all tournaments. We invented the sport, we've the facilities to host an event tomorrow and all games would sell out. Let our owners take control. They'd put on a show.

Football certainly needs a Reformation. While my ire is focused on FIFA as the most pressing problem; UEFA and the FA would be second and third on my list. The latter for being stunningly incompetent.

To be honest, I miss the Olden Days before football was engulfed in a tidal wave of money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.