FIFA Women's WC France 2019

Never mind the technicalities can we not just enjoy the fact that the Sweaties have just blown a 3 goal lead in 15 minutes to eliminate themselves from a WC... its the only interesting thing that's happened in the tournament so far...

Penalties need to be a kick and done. No need for people following up, no rebounds and goals. Either goal, miss or save, then done! Start with a kick off or goal kick

As for the keeper, anything that is left to the judgement of refs will be contentious. VAR is getting a bit ridiculous, though. She clearly did not step out to cut down on the angle, but rather lifted her heels to get on her toes so she could dive. Poor decision, IMHO.

Yes, I get that. But she is going to be completely flat footed, so I'm not surprised she didn't save it. She's only got to have her weight the other way and she won't be able to adjust. It's why if they insist on this, no keeper is going to save a penalty.
Keepers are gonna have to start behind the line, it's going to cause more issues than it solves.

I like that one and the players going off at the closest touchline, just need to make sure Sergio is on the half way line when he is taken off.
Centre spot I think you mean.....

Back to the England game, after a decent first half, when they probably should have been 2 or 3 up, they were woeful for much of the second, partly down to Japan improving greatly, but our retention of the ball was a joke, and many of our girls were responsible for it, I thought Steph had a pretty poor second half apart from one fantastic last ditch tackle. Jill Scott, usually good at holding the ball up, was poor, and looked very leggy towards the end, and Keira Walsh had a particularly poor second half, and she wasn't her best in the first half either. Bardsley Stanway and Stokes had decent games, and our new CF looks like she will score bags full. Paris helped change the momentum, winning the ball and putting White in to score the second.

I was really against Phil Neville getting the England job, but to be fair I think when they hit their stride this England team play some really nice football. Plus all of the preferred candidates turned the job down so I can't really complain. It's definitely a lot better than when Mark Sampson was I charge.

Penalties need to be a kick and done. No need for people following up, no rebounds and goals. Either goal, miss or save, then done! Start with a kick off or goal kick

As for the keeper, anything that is left to the judgement of refs will be contentious. VAR is getting a bit ridiculous, though. She clearly did not step out to cut down on the angle, but rather lifted her heels to get on her toes so she could dive. Poor decision, IMHO.

I disagree with this. If there's a rebound then the attacker should be allowed to have a pop at it. Don't forget, a penalty comes about because the attacking team has usually had a great chance taken away from them. Depriving a chance at rebound benefits the wrong-doer in my opinion.

I disagree with this. If there's a rebound then the attacker should be allowed to have a pop at it. Don't forget, a penalty comes about because the attacking team has usually had a great chance taken away from them. Depriving a chance at rebound benefits the wrong-doer in my opinion.
Well, today, half the goals are for handballs that weren’t, not a handball on the goal line stopping a dead cert goal, so I’m not sure about “great chance.” That said...

Goal = 192 sq ft.
Keeper = 16 sq ft, maybe 24 sq ft, at most with his arms outstretched, if you like.
That leaves (goal minus keeper) 168-176 sq ft in which to put the ball!!!

How much more chance do you need to put a 1 sq ft ball in the goal?

Well, today, half the goals are for handballs that weren’t, not a handball on the goal line stopping a dead cert goal, so I’m not sure about “great chance.” That said...

Goal = 192 sq ft.
Keeper = 16 sq ft, maybe 24 sq ft, at most with his arms outstretched, if you like.
That leaves (goal minus keeper) 168-176 sq ft in which to put the ball!!!

How much more chance do you need to put a 1 sq ft ball in the goal?

But, the ball is round ;-)

Centre spot I think you mean.....

Back to the England game, after a decent first half, when they probably should have been 2 or 3 up, they were woeful for much of the second, partly down to Japan improving greatly, but our retention of the ball was a joke, and many of our girls were responsible for it, I thought Steph had a pretty poor second half apart from one fantastic last ditch tackle. Jill Scott, usually good at holding the ball up, was poor, and looked very leggy towards the end, and Keira Walsh had a particularly poor second half, and she wasn't her best in the first half either. Bardsley Stanway and Stokes had decent games, and our new CF looks like she will score bags full. Paris helped change the momentum, winning the ball and putting White in to score the second.
Japan stepped up the pressure in the last 20 minutes, because it was a one goal game, but they were stymied as much by misfortune and poor finishing as good defending. The subs header, where Houghton was all at sea, was a bad miss!

What didn’t help was England midfielders trying tight turns with the ball in the center circle and coughing up the ball for a counter. Probably not a surprise that the midfield was mainly replaced. Plus, I felt like there was a bit of hare and tortoise about the game, even if the hare eventually won. England were very quick out of the box, were dominant in possession, and winning it back very quickly when they did lose it. Very Pep! However, they look like they simply ran out of steam, and to some extent, ideas. Two through balls to a hot CF (Ellen White looks the business for MCWFC!) won the game, but the stats show a very even game.

England could go far, especially considering the squad rotation. However, they’ve not really played anyone who are supposed to give them any problems and in the Round of 16 they will be playing a 3rd place team, which should be good for passage through to the Last 8.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.