Not in order but;
Spain
Germany
Italy
Portugal (based on Euro performance)
Brazil
Argentina
Uruguay
Chile (currently top of South America Qualifying)
Netherlands (Based on WC 2010 and qualifying)

That is 9 so maybe England would be 10th.

I want it to be based on current form, but there needs to be more weighting which appears to be lacking. When England have been eliminated at 2nd round in WC and Quarters at Euros they don't fall into top 8 atleast teams in the world.

England have lost 2 games in 18 months i think. Its not struggling form. Tournaments are weighted in points but its a shoot out, Liverpool won the CC this year i would hardly make them one of the top 4 based on a cup competition

I guess it's a case of you can only beat who is put in front of you. I just feel there isn't much 'value' in these rankings. Qualifying should have significantly less weighting compared to tournaments. Therefore in the last 2 competitions England have in effect finished 5-8th (probably 5th or 6th equal with France, but better than Greece and Czech Rep. in Euros and 9-16th (Officially finished 13th, but i'd say 11th) in WC.
But then you have Chile in your top 9 for being top of South America qualyfying regardless of the fact they have been knocked out at WC and the equivalent of the Euros (Copa America) at the exact same point

They are very lucky to be ranked so high.
If they were say ranked between 10th and 20th, (which is probably thier level, even in the friendlies they scraped home 1-0 v Belgium and Norway, they were lucky to win and the worst side), then they would be in pot 2 for qaulifying groups amd would face a tough challenge to qualify

hertsblue said:
If they were say ranked between 10th and 20th, (which is probably thier level, even in the friendlies they scraped home 1-0 v Belgium and Norway, they were lucky to win and the worst side), then they would be in pot 2 for qaulifying groups amd would face a tough challenge to qualify

Okay easy challenge this, name me 19 better sides than England at the moment?

BoyBlue_1985 said:
The_mace said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
England have lost 2 games in 18 months i think. Its not struggling form. Tournaments are weighted in points but its a shoot out, Liverpool won the CC this year i would hardly make them one of the top 4 based on a cup competition

I guess it's a case of you can only beat who is put in front of you. I just feel there isn't much 'value' in these rankings. Qualifying should have significantly less weighting compared to tournaments. Therefore in the last 2 competitions England have in effect finished 5-8th (probably 5th or 6th equal with France, but better than Greece and Czech Rep. in Euros and 9-16th (Officially finished 13th, but i'd say 11th) in WC.
But then you have Chile in your top 9 for being top of South America qualyfying regardless of the fact they have been knocked out at WC and the equivalent of the Euros (Copa America) at the exact same point

A fair assesment is that Chile would be a shade ahead of England if not equal. Chile only lost to Spain and Brazil, winning their other games at 2010 World Cup. Where as England lost to Germany but only won one game and drew two against lesser nations. I think based on that it would be fair to place Chile just ahead of England, especially given recent WC 2014 qualifying form.

Same old story, same old ridiculous replies.

England have just been knocked out on pens in a knockout stage of a major tournament which they qualified for by being undefeated in their Group stage which they qualified for by being undefeated in their qualifying group.

1 defeat in 17 games in a period that included a win against the side ranked number one.

Are they the 4th best team in the world? No but then are Chelsea the best team in Europe? It's all about results and England get results that keeps them at the top end of the rankings.

WNRH said:
Same old story, same old ridiculous replies.

England have just been knocked out on pens in a knockout stage of a major tournament which they qualified for by being undefeated in their Group stage which they qualified for by being undefeated in their qualifying group.

1 defeat in 17 games in a period that included a win against the side ranked number one.

Are they the 4th best team in the world? No but then are Chelsea the best team in Europe? It's all about results and England get results that keeps them at the top end of the rankings.

Draws are for losers.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
hertsblue said:

Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Portugal, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Russia...

Those are 11 I can think of(not in order) which would see England 12th. England imo belong with the likes of Denmark, Czech Republic, Croatia, Russia, Chile, Sweden, Greece, etc. and not the big boys, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Portugal, etc.

Until England finally beat one of the big teams when it counts, they'll always be between 8th and 12th in my book.

Jackson-ctid said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
hertsblue said:

Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Portugal, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Russia...

Those are 11 I can think of(not in order) which would see England 12th. England imo belong with the likes of Denmark, Czech Republic, Croatia, Russia, Chile, Sweden, Greece, etc. and not the big boys, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Portugal, etc.

Until England finally beat one of the big teams when it counts, they'll always be between 8th and 12th in my book.

Chile and Russia? Come on!

15th august there is England vs Italy, time to improve the ranking.
Juventus's players (the rags of Italy) are missing that match due the supercup match against Napoli in that week.

Jackson-ctid said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
hertsblue said:

So, not only do you put Russia (who couldn't qualify from a group with Poland, Grece & Cczech Republic in it) and Chile in the top 11, you then have them in the next batch of teams similar to us? Riiiiight.

Chile? Don't make me laugh. So they're having a decent qualifying campaign. Look at their World Cup history, it's worse than ours.

I'd have us 9th to be honest, but at the end of the day, it's results which cement your position, not how attractive the football is.

We finished unbeaten in qualifying, we finished unbeaten in Euro 2012 bar a Pen shoot out. We beat Spain a few months back, we've beat Sweden twice in 6 months.

We may not pass it around like Spain, counter like Germany or have individual brilliance like Portugal & Argentina, but we get results. So we haven't won a tournament for fucking donkeys years? Neither have Portugal, Holland & Argentina.

Stop the hatred you have for England getting in the way of a sensible point.

Top 4, I agree, technically, we shouldn't be there. But there's a reason why we are there and that's down to winning games.

Only in games against Spain, Germany, Brazil and to a lesser extent Holland, Italy & Portugal would I go into a game with them thinking, "Yep, we'll get beat here". If we were to play France, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile or Russia, I would generally give us a decent chance of winning.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.