Fighting till the end

The moment we really got team spirit for me was the Semi vs United at Wembley

They'd dicked us last minute about 4 times over the past 2 years beforehand

Tevez our best player by a mile at that point and captain was out injured.

We'd been tonked 3 nil at Liverpool a few days before.

All the talk in the run up was how they were going to hammer us, could be a 5 nil.

We came out second half and dominated them and won.

Think we went undefeated to the end of the season getting 3rd and a Fa cup win under our belt as well.

For me it was that period when Tévez fucked off.

You'd think something like that could derail a season but I think it galvanised us. In the Prem we went on a run of 6 wins where we scored 23 goals and conceded 6.

Then we faced the Rags in the new year in the FA Cup and at 0-3 down with ten men we fought back and nearly nicked a 3-3 draw. And then soon after we did something similar where we were 0-3 down on aggregate to Sporting and pulled off a fightback in the second half to make it 3-3 on aggregate and Joe nearly headed in the winner. And then soonafter we came from behind to beat Chelsea late on. And then we did it again with being 1-3 down at home to Sunderland to get a 3-3 draw.

I think from then on we knew that, even when all seemed lost, we could fight back and get back in a game from any situation. And in going 8 points behind the Rags in the league and fighting back to win it, we did. And being 1-2 down in injury time against QPR and fighting back to win it, we did.

I'd rather we never get ourselves into these situations to begin with (we're still doing it now) and actually show how good we are from the outset. I think that's the next step for this team; from the start of a Champions League campaign or CL knock-out game first leg, go out and show that we're as good as we can be. Or start a Premier Leage season well and maintain a level of authority thoughout the season and not get ourselves in a situation where we're relying on amazing fight backs or another team fucking up to win it.

Even so, we don't half show some great attitude when our backs are against the wall.

the QPR game imo instilled that into the team/squad. That day the players did the impossible, and it showed them nothing in football is impossible, add that to the fact we are a fucking good team who grind the opposition down with our passing and movement, teams are fucked near the end of the game.

someone said of barca in their pomp that its like a conveyor belt they just keep coming , that's what we do, even if we are comfortable we keep playing the same ,pass move pass AND move all calmly.

GOD WE ARE FUCKING BRILLIANT

Chris in London said:
Stephenhakin said:
Note sure when we became a side with so much bottle and a determination to fight till the end but we are its a great feeling knowing that even when we are at deaths door we dont die.

Can anyone put a finger on when this first started? The game that stands out for me was the Norwich game away when we mullered them 1-6 at Carrow Road. I think that game took us to within 5 of the rags but they had a game in hand.

*During the Sheikhs time at the club.

I think the 2-3 defeat at home to the rags in the FA Cup is perhaps the earliest, clearest, example.

If you remember, we were 3-0 down at half time, had been down to ten men since the 13th minute (and the rags were up to 12). We were staring at humiliation. Then Kolarov whipped in a free kick, Aguero got his customary goal against them to make it 2-3, and even though they had been 3-0 up they were on the back foot for most of the second half. In the last few minutes Kolarov missed narrowly with another free kick and Big Pants went up for a corner and nearly scored.

When it was 11 v 10 at their place, we humiliated them. When it was 10 v 11 at our place, we came close to humiliating them again.

This.

It was the first time when we acted on the pitch like it's a mission, war.

The thing is, it becomes self perpetuating. The more we do it, the more we believe we can do it. And so do our opponents.

The more it happens, the more faith a team gets that it can happen again, and again, and the more other teams fear it will happen against them.

How many times did United used to pile on absurd amounts of pressure in the last 10 minutes of games, and everybody would say 'here it comes'?

That's something we need to get into the habit of, but better still not be in that position in the first place.

And all of that said, we as fans are still evolving. Many of us are still quite pessimistic when it comes to City, simply because we believe our own hype of always doing things the hard way, or snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It's entirely understandable, especially in older supporters, but our own mentality needs to change.

Sadly, once our mentality does change, we'll become positive, and deemed arrogant by others. It's the way of the world -
If we have little confidence, we don't have the 'winning mentality' and if we believe we will win, we are 'arrogant'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.